Another random argument with Oberlus

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Another random argument with Oberlus

#16 Post by Oberlus »

Interesting...

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#17 Post by Daybreak »

funny

I think the 3 dots after make all the difference

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:41 am funny

Like the ones in LR's "interesting..." posts?

Interesting...

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#19 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:15 am
Daybreak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:41 am funny

Like the ones in LR's "interesting..." posts?

Interesting...
Lifes to short Oberlus...
:D

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:31 pm Lifes to short Oberlus...
Does this go both directions?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: State of Art for disconnected empires

#21 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:04 am The word interesting as a response is quite commonly used as a subtle way to poke fun at someone speaking,
Oh, that's what the fuss was all about !
I really had no clue as I don't remember seeing it used that way (or, as the immortal Brel sang, "ou bien c'était il y a longtemps, ou il sentait pas bon").
I'd say "quite commonly" would seriously depends on your personal experience, as it really never dawned to me that my posts could be interpreted that way.
Anyway, that's not what it means in English, and when I was asked by Oberlus about what I meant I gave a lengthy explanation, so I'm sorry for you if you've been the victim of arseholes in the past, but it has nothing to do with my rightful use of a current English word that actually means what I actually mean.

wobbly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:04 am Interesting by itself is meaningless. Interesting good. Interesting bad. Interesting weird.
Are you not stretching things a bit far ? I can't be sure since I'm not a native English speaker, but in French "intéressant" hints by itself as something positive (the dictionary writes "apporte un plus", brings something) and from what I try to find in English dictionaries it doesn't seem so different.

wobbly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:04 am
Daybreak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:40 am If I wrote -

Thats an interesting concept, and I would like to come back and discuss it further, when I have thought about it a little more.
Then you'd have used a full sentence and I'd understand the meaning through the context.
Well, I would agree with that if "+1" wasn't regularly used too (and IIRC you clearly stated that you had no objection to it).
Also, you have the context now, as I explained what I meant (and what the word usually means) on the first exchanges above - so you clearly understand the meaning.
Also, I did write more than a full sentence in the initial exchange with Oberlus and actually "interesting" did sum up nicely this long exchange.

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:45 pm LienRag, my argumentation was logically valid. You disagree on my axioms (the meanings of "interesting" and the usefulness of using it as the only content of a post).
You are quite full of yoursef if you think that anything you disgree with is automatically invalid.
You may have a point here.
Not sure, though : stating as axioms things that should be the results of your explanations doesn't seem sound logic to me ?

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:59 pm The "+1" makes it clear one likes/wants/approves the idea.
"Interesting" is not used to convey that meaning.
Well, that's a bit logical, if it was I would use "+1".
Interesting conveys the meaning that the idea is interesting, which is a bit different.

wobbly wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:09 pm they'll think it not worth the effort, as you have a clear and visible history of not listening when people try to tell you these things.
Not that I am aware of.
Not caving in to pressure, obviously, that's the expected behavior of a creature of reason, but AFAIK I always listened.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#22 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:16 pmNot sure, though : stating as axioms things that should be the results of your explanations doesn't seem sound logic to me ?
I guess you are not refering to the normal meaning of logic, but rather to the systematicy and completeness of my communication process.

Stating stuff to you is tiresome because it always results in the same: you keep arguing. So I'll pass.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#23 Post by Daybreak »

I know this is serious to some, but I always feel it is important to inject some humour into these conversations, because laughing at ourselves and our emotions can be helpful

Now you have all heard of Clickbait. I am calling this Textbait - I googled to make sure it was an original thought, and although maybe not original in how it is done, nobody has called it Textbait

So definition of "Textbait"
(on the internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and entice somone to continue a convesation, by baiting them with pertinent text.

So you heard it here first !!!

So here is my Textbait
Oberlus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:22 pm Stating stuff to you is tiresome because it always results in the same: you keep arguing. So I'll pass.
Well done Lienrag, you Won...

lol, now I hope Oberlus you see the humour in that, which I will finish with another three dots...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: How to play guessing games instead of reading what people are actually saying

#24 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:16 pm Oh, that's what the fuss was all about !
Well..., that's one theory. But the other much simpler theory is that its quite literally what Oberlus was complaining about right at the very start of the thread.

An ambiguous one word response devoid of any actual real input.

Its... basically... just... annoying...

This isn't actually complicated. It shouldn't actually take 2 pages worth of forum thread to get the point across.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#25 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:43 pm I know this is serious to some, but I always feel it is important to inject some humour into these conversations
Keep trying...

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#26 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 pm
Daybreak wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:43 pm I know this is serious to some, but I always feel it is important to inject some humour into these conversations
Keep trying...
lol, I knew if I explained it, like any joke, it loses most of it humour.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by Oberlus »

Yeah, that was it :lol:
:)

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#28 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:48 pm Yeah, that was it :lol:
:)
lol

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#29 Post by LienRag »

Daybreak wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:43 pm Well done Lienrag, you Won...
Well, actually here we all win together (by allowing the expression of new interesting ideas and the process of vetting them by rigorous examination) or we all lose together (by being unable to do so)...

(and yes, I know that you were joking)

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: How to play guessing games instead of reading what people are actually saying

#30 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:28 pm An ambiguous one word response devoid of any actual real input.
Are you sure ?
It really doesn't seem to me like it is, but maybe I'm biased because of the French use of this word.

But OK, I'll try to be a bit less stubborn than usually : what word should I use to the same effect then ("it's a train of thought that looks like it may be promising, I hope that you pursue it further and keep us informed") ?