Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#196 Post by LienRag »

Daybreak wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:50 am
LienRag wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:32 am I really don't understand why the bug applies only to me and seems not replicable by others...
But with it, getting rid of early Maintenance Ships is much more difficult, for example.
Are you checking the combat logs to see if fighters are not actually launching?
Not only did I check, I posted the log here...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#197 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:32 am I really don't understand why the bug applies only to me and seems not replicable by others...
Maybe has something to do with the snap?
BTW, are you using the same version than server, that was updated Tuesday evening?
LienRag wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:32 am But with it, getting rid of early Maintenance Ships is much more difficult, for example.

Another thing : on many of the test games either me or other players were boxed in a small subset of systems, is the starting position generator well calibrated ?
That's as expected. It happens too on SP games. In the last two weeks I started six games (played for 30 to 120 turns), all settings to medium. Sometimes I had plenty of natives around readily accessible, sometimes I had just one in 10 hops around my world and protected by a monster. Only once I had nothing to invade/colonize until I killed a Maintenance Ship, I was Chato and used symb zortrium arc disruptors (level 2), pilling up some troopers in the meantime, then I was able to catch up in the planets race with Colonization policy and quickly invading some natives after freeing myself. I understand players like Magnate being against playing with monsters, when that clashes so hard with their playstyle and don't feel comfortable having to adjust or to face this kind of disadvantage at game start. In my case, I don't mind, it brings spice to the games, whether I am the one with free colonization at start or the one enclosed in a pocket with nothing to colonize. I was more like Magnate a year ago, feeling frustration when I had an unlucky start, but experience in MP games, watching what other players can do, made me change my mind.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#198 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:05 am
Maybe has something to do with the snap?
highly unlikely; is anybody else using the snap version? also that is only the client (see below)
Oberlus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:05 am BTW, are you using the same version than server, that was updated Tuesday evening?
yesterdays snap is still building. but the client should only matter for UI. real setting of meter values and combat are done on the server. so the combat log is true to the server reality
LienRag wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:32 am But with it, getting rid of early Maintenance Ships is much more difficult, for example.
should be able to escape the box even without killing the monster, no?

@LienRag can you dump the ship values of a ship which shows zero launch capacity? (using the object window)

edit1: also do you use FLANKING or CHARGE policy? i think that are the only effects affecting launch bay capacity
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#199 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 am @LienRag can you dump the ship values of a ship which shows zero launch capacity? (using the object window)

edit1: also do you use FLANKING or CHARGE policy? i think that are the only effects affecting launch bay capacity
In case you didn't see it, LienRag posted a save for SP game that replicates the problem. I opened an issue linking to it: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/3830

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#200 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 am
@LienRag can you dump the ship values of a ship which shows zero launch capacity? (using the object window)

Is it necessary after I posted the save game ?

And yes, I use Flanking and Charge as soon as I can, I'm not sure that the bug requires them though.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#201 Post by wobbly »

Hmm, stuck in the lobby. Not sure if that's just the server being slow

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#202 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:06 pm Hmm, stuck in the lobby. Not sure if that's just the server being slow
I could join as observer (but not as player). Both you and me are dead.

o01eg
Programmer

#203 Post by o01eg »

wobbly wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:06 pm Hmm, stuck in the lobby. Not sure if that's just the server being slow
I wish someone will manage to fix lobby player list to include column of elimination and victory.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

o01eg
Programmer

#204 Post by o01eg »

I've restarted test game.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#205 Post by LienRag »

I can't log to it...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#206 Post by wobbly »

Worked for me

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#207 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 pm I can't log to it...
You are not on the player list in-game.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#208 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 am edit1: also do you use FLANKING or CHARGE policy? i think that are the only effects affecting launch bay capacity
I can confirm that FLANKING is the culprit. Charge is fine.

Edit: Note I didn't check whether Charge works as intended, which I'll do later. It doesn't set launch to 0. Just adopting flanking does.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#209 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:54 pm I've restarted test game.
LienRag wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 pm I can't log to it...
Since bug has been diagnosed by wobbly, and it is a matter of a policy (avoidable) and FOCS (fixable without changing binaries), LienRag, do you want to play this game?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#210 Post by Ophiuchus »

current snap released
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!