Eighteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Eighteenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#61 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 am Has scouting changed the way it works ?
Yes. Not sure it was an intended change. I still try to figure out if I like it or not. If we keep it we need to adjust the visibility bubbles.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#62 Post by LienRag »

About damage : how to estimate what damage is done each turn ?
Should I just take the damage shown on the ship and divide by four (obviously, remove shields if there are some)?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#63 Post by wobbly »

Some scouting weirdness: system is unexplored and you can see that my scout's circle falls just short, yet I can see the planet.
unexplored.png
unexplored.png (163.48 KiB) Viewed 853 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#64 Post by Oberlus »

A scout was killed by an undetected monster, probably an asteroid snail (it had 240 structure), and there was no ghost sensor after combat. This is buggy.

The detected planets in unexplored systems can be quite far from your ships/planets detection range, I haven't figured out what is triggering out-of-range visibility.

I suspect the nearby unexplored systems that doesn't show planets, those closer to my detection range than other unexplored systems that do show some planets, are actually empty systems and not worth scouting unless interested on chances of a derelict ship.

Edit with more observations:

I had an scout at one jump and two turns from an unexplored system. Before the I commanded the scout to move to that system, the system was shown as unexplored ("?") with an asteroid belt in it. Now, after one turn of flight, the scout is in the starlane and within detection range of the unexplored system, that now is shown as explored (orange star) but I have never been in that system nor the system has been under my radar.
Maybe the detection is working while on fly? No, because I can see an unexplored system with several planets that is more than 100 uu away from the nearest explored system.

But I am Fulver, does that have anything to do with this?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#65 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:54 am The detected planets in unexplored systems can be quite far from your ships/planets detection range, I haven't figured out what is triggering out-of-range visibility....

yes, their precognitive detection, will give you basic visibility 2 starlane jumps
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#66 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:17 pm
Oberlus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:54 am The detected planets in unexplored systems can be quite far from your ships/planets detection range, I haven't figured out what is triggering out-of-range visibility....

yes, their precognitive detection, will give you basic visibility 2 starlane jumps
But that should only be for tundra planets, so something is clearly amiss.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#67 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:19 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:17 pm

But that should only be for tundra planets, so something is clearly amiss.
No. Its for all planets.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#68 Post by Oberlus »

Ok, then all those planets I can see in unexplored systems are from Fulver's PRECOGNITIVE_DETECTION(2).
What remains unexplained is the system that becomes explored before it is visited or seen under detection from a nearby system, and for that it could be that my ships mid-flight in a starlane are actually seeing things despite they not showing their detection range in the UI. But could be something else.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#69 Post by LienRag »

I've had many crashes "game lost connection to the server" while doing nothing specifical ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#70 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:41 pm I've had many crashes "game lost connection to the server" while doing nothing specifical ?
I saw you dropping. I had no issues. Sometimes I have. I blame Internet, as a whole.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#71 Post by LienRag »

I'm on a fiber connection, but I was not monitoring it.
So I can't vouch that it wasn't Internet, but I'm still surprised it is.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#72 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 pm I'm on a fiber connection, but I was not monitoring it.
So I can't vouch that it wasn't Internet, but I'm still surprised it is.
You can have a thousand Gbps through a thick fiber towards your ISP provider, it doesn't matter if somewhere else in the huge Internet something is failing. Your packets can get lost in between god knows what servers.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#73 Post by LienRag »

So, the LoT (LienRag, o01eg, The Silent One) Alliance (a.k.a Lords of Tierra, a.k.a Lancers of Terror, a.k.a Lots of Things) drew first blood on Wobbly and his alliance OWO (a.k.a the Outrageously Weak Others) !

Victory shall be ours !

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#74 Post by Oberlus »

wat.jpg
wat.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 781 times
You mean wobbly's corvette killed by o01eg's frigates?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#75 Post by LienRag »

Since five minutes ago, if I launch the game (from the snap) I get to the menu, I can click on multi-player and get to the lobby, then the big screen starts to open and then everything crashes...
Ditto if try to launch a single-player game.

Do you need logs and where are they ?
In the console it only tells me that there was a segmentation fault.