Migrating to codeberg ?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Migrating to codeberg ?

#1 Post by LienRag »

Github has been a contradiction in the organization of free software for a long time, a platform with extremely convenient tools for hosting free software, but not free itself.

It falling under the clutches of evil made it even more visible and problematic, for quite some time now.

With Copilot experimentation, whose legal consequences are still quite difficult to analyze and predict, things have gotten real worse.
There is a definite possibility that any code hosted on Github, whatever its license, will be contributing to a privateering behemoth.

From what I understand, Codeberg is a free non-profit alternative to github for people who do not want to self-host their code.

As the federation of gitlab is still in limbo, is migrating to Codeberg a viable solution ?
Is there any plan to migrate the FreeOrion repository to it ?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Migrating to codeberg ?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pmIs there any plan to migrate the FreeOrion repository to it ?
There is no plan to move hosting of FreeOrion code.

I don't personally care much about mostly-theoretical concerns about what Microsoft might do or might be doing with code on GitHub. I also don't really care much about how the hosting infrastructure for FreeOrion's code repository is run, as long as the FreeOrion code and assests remain freely available to view and modify with our chosen licenses. If it's clearly demonstrated that they are doing something via GitHub that is objectionable, then we might reconsider the situation.

Also, after a brief discussion in the monthly org meeting that's just finishing as I type this, there is likely a substantial cost to migration, and Codeberg is not something we can currently assume will continue to exist and be well-supported long term.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm as long as the FreeOrion code and assests remain freely available to view and modify with our chosen licenses.
Well, if it's re-used by Copilot it is definitely not "with our chosen licenses"...
Apparently that was the last straw that motivated SFConservancy to launch their "Give Up Github" campaign.

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm Also, after a brief discussion in the monthly org meeting that's just finishing as I type this, there is likely a substantial cost to migration,
There is some cost to migration, yes. And I'd be ready to help with that (the workload I mean).
It's also probably possible to get some help from other FOSS enthusiasts, as moving away from Github is a valuable objective.

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm Codeberg is not something we can currently assume will continue to exist and be well-supported long term.
Codeberg is a Gitea instance and clearly getting traction.
Also, Gitea federates now and Forge Federation is clearly the future.

Note that Gitea itself is pulling out of Github and finding that it's a very slow process so it could be wise to start soon.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:47 pm There is some cost to migration, yes. And I'd be ready to help with that (the workload I mean).
It's also probably possible to get some help from other FOSS enthusiasts, as moving away from Github is a valuable objective.
You have my green light. Go migrate FreeOrion to Codeberg.
The licenses of FreeOrion allow anyone to do such thing and even start their own fork of FreeOrion.
Once migrated and working, devs could consider deleting FreeOrion in GitHub and sticking to Codeberg.

LienRag wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:47 pm it's a very slow process so it could be wise to start soon.
Nah. There is some cost to migration. Not a a big cost, just some cost. But I'm not suggesting you to wait or anything. Go migrate FreeOrion to Codeberg.

o01eg
Programmer

#5 Post by o01eg »

Is it possible to migrate issues and PRs with discussions? What about CI?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

o01eg wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:15 pm Is it possible to migrate issues and PRs with discussions? What about CI?
From my test migrating PRs, Issues, Labels, Releases and Milestones requires an Access Token.
I infer from it that it's possible (if one has an access token, which I don't since the FreeOrion github repository does not belong to me).

I know nothing about CI though.