Seventeenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Seventeenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#1 Post by o01eg »

16th will be finished soon so I'm preparing for the next game. Next game will continue to polish future 0.5.0 release. Weekly test build version is 2021-10-05.980fd8e.

Before start there will be two days with two test game with 5 minutes turn. Turn limit is 48 hours. Test games will be started October 5th and actual game will be started October 7th.

Changes from previous game:
  • Systems per player: 42
  • Research cost: 120%
  • Production cost: 60%
Also I'm thinking about trying Tower-Defense like game against monsters with no diplomacy and single team for all human players but we need monsters able to make owned planets to unowned.

Currently there is 5 registered players:
o01eg
Oberlus
wobbly
Ophiuchus
TheSilentOne
Last edited by o01eg on Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Seventeenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Sign me in.

I'm up for the TD if we do it. I would even if monster could not turn planets into unowned (they at least can turn colonies into outposts by killing population). If we do this, we might need more monster designs, so that they are more dangerous by killing populations early game and not only hindering expansion by killing colonies (because except for still monsters that block routes to expansion areas, it's easy to dodge wandering monsters and keep expanding). On this line, low starlanes could be good to increase difficulty. No idea what galaxy shape could be good. I guess it would be interesting to have players clustered together, and that is not possible with currently galaxy shapes and universe generation parameters.

L29Ah
Space Squid

#3 Post by L29Ah »

I won't play until meteor blizzards are reverted. This mechanics is unbalanced, dumb, stands against freeorion's philosophy and was added by a single person w/o any prior discussion.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

I usually would stand behind L29Ah (or Voker) positions to ensure their participation in the game. Knowing now, from recent games, that they could ask for changes that are implemented just for them and later not join the game, or leave the game earlier just because they find something not of their interest, disrupting the game and certainly not helping to the playtesting, I don't care if they don't join.

Meteor Blizzar should stay. I'll try to find time to make the previously demanded changes of making their move much faster and their lifespan shorter.

Voker57
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Voker57 »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:56 am I usually would stand behind L29Ah (or Voker) positions to ensure their participation in the game. Knowing now, from recent games, that they could ask for changes that are implemented just for them and later not join the game, or leave the game earlier just because they find something not of their interest, disrupting the game and certainly not helping to the playtesting, I don't care if they don't join.

Meteor Blizzar should stay. I'll try to find time to make the previously demanded changes of making their move much faster and their lifespan shorter.
I don't remember not joining the game after my declared deal breakers have been dealt with. Got an example?
Team S.M.A.C.: destroying dreams of multiplayer 4x since 2017.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Voker57 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:39 am I don't remember not joining the game after my declared deal breakers have been dealt with. Got an example?
You are right. Some of your demands were fulfilled, but not all (because one wasn't possible to fix).
I stand corrected.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

L29Ah wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am I won't play until meteor blizzards are reverted. This mechanics is unbalanced, dumb, stands against freeorion's philosophy and was added by a single person w/o any prior discussion.
A valid point.

So many things are broken in the game right now that this particular problem is not a deal-breaker to me, though.

Especially since the formula has been corrected.

Having them faster would be important too, but having them of shorter duration is a very bad idea as I explained last time we discussed it, as it only makes possible exploiting them by luck, not building a strategy towards exploiting them.

Could it possible to have ships produce Research only for a limited number of turns in a Swarm ?
That would keep the ability to farm them less unbalancing, while still allowing for a long duration for the Fields (and as such an opportunity both for strategic planning as wrote above, and for more players to benefit from them).

What about their spatial distribution ?
If they appear at similar distances from Homeworlds for all players, then exploiting them is a question of skill, not luck; and from another broken mechanism they become something actually interesting.

My usual deal-breaker stands, though : either fixed teams or single winner.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by LienRag »

I want the fields to last (so it's possible to plan around them) but it would certainly be better if the ability to farm them was shorter for each player.

A limit to the number of turns (in total, not getting in and out - that would be uselessly micromanagy) that any particular ship can farm them would be a good way to have both.

Augmenting their speed (so that they stay a maximum of 2-3 turns in a system) is a way to reach a similar result¹, though, so maybe it's enough, we'd have to test.

¹ As long as their total duration on the game is not reduced, of course.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

LR, so you will play if it is all vs monsters or single-player victory, right? I'm fine with that. Sign in?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by wobbly »

I'm undecided. If there's enough players without me I'll probably sit 1 out.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:49 am LR, so you will play if it is all vs monsters or single-player victory, right? I'm fine with that. Sign in?
I thought the all-against-monsters was to be later, not the 17th ?

I'm not really interested in that (already had a single player game which went like that) but since there's so much new things to test, I could do it on a small Galaxy for a short game.

Fixed teams of players pitted against each other (with team victory of course, but single team victory) is fine too.

And of course single-player victory as we did last two games.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by LienRag »

I forgot : is it possible to include some of my proposals for Situational Stealth in the test game ?
Beginning by the Variable Pressure Nano-Coating ?

They heavily need multi-player testing.

I would like the Electromagnetic Fog Field included too, and maybe the Comet Cloud Field.
Maybe someone should check their Movement macro, I just copied and pasted and modified the numbers...

The Ancient Wormhole (gate&exit) are ready to play too.

What about the military policies I proposed (Asteroid trail & Lagrange Tactics) ? The Slingshot effect on the fly calculator ?
Some of my Specials ? At least the Equatorial ones ? Thoughtspore ?

I'd like the new Species traits tested too, but since I don't know which Species should get which (and that I didn't test them in Single Player), I don't know if that game is adapted for testing them.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 am
Oberlus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:49 am LR, so you will play if it is all vs monsters or single-player victory, right? I'm fine with that. Sign in?
I thought the all-against-monsters was to be later, not the 17th ?

I'm not really interested in that (already had a single player game which went like that) but since there's so much new things to test, I could do it on a small Galaxy for a short game.

Fixed teams of players pitted against each other (with team victory of course, but single team victory) is fine too.

And of course single-player victory as we did last two games.
OK. So will you sign in or not?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by LienRag »

Yes, I thought my answer made it obvious.

What about the Variable Pressure NanoCoating (and the rest) ?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by wobbly »

Yeah I'll sit this one out. I've got some coding to do that I've been putting off and I'm at least 5% less likely to procrastinate about doing it if I'm not playing FO. I'll see you all in game 18.