Questions about game play.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Questions about game play.

#91 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:05 am Various structures say they have an effect within a certain "uu", how do I determine how many "uu" anything is from anything else?
Badly.
There's a scale on top left of the Galaxy Map.
And for most objects, you can get the X and Y coordinates from the Objects panel.

So if you want an approximation, you can graphically compare to the scale.
If you want precise number, you take the Xs and Ys and calculate.

Yes, it's bad and nearing unusability.
Geoff wrote that he wants to implement a way to simply pick an object and (IIRC) have a circular rule above it, but as for many things, he didn't have time to implement it.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#92 Post by Oberlus »

For certain distance-based effects that use round numbers like 200, there is an option to show a circle around the selected system with radius equal current scale-bar width: alt-C or altgr-C (depending on OS).
Usually not helpful to see how far an enemy fleet can move (except if their speed is 100, 150 or 200) but useful for most other distance-dependent effects.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#93 Post by truepurple »

Does Interstellar light house reduce the stealth of your own planets and ships?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#94 Post by LienRag »

Yes.
And it's easy to test yourself, BTW.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#95 Post by truepurple »

So you can only ever build one Automated history analyzer, on your home world?

So I've looked around in the Pedia in game and the beginners guide, there is still a fair amount I don't understand about how stealth works.

So if one of your ships in a battle sees a stealthy unit, all the rest do too?

If a battle between fleets happen where some units are hidden, can the hidden units attack and remain hidden?

Can I set a ship to "control system", can I still benefit from its stealth?

Does Small camouflaged asteroid hull among asteroids hide better? Or is the bonus just to combat? Should I put a radar on it and put it among asteroids in enemy territory or a weapon on it?

Does automated aggression cause a ship to attack other ships if they have weapons, or if they don't have weapons?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#96 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:30 am For certain distance-based effects that use round numbers like 200, there is an option to show a circle around the selected system with radius equal current scale-bar width: alt-C or altgr-C (depending on OS).
Usually not helpful to see how far an enemy fleet can move (except if their speed is 100, 150 or 200) but useful for most other distance-dependent effects.
You can zoom to the same distance as a ship's speed or detection range by selecting a ship 1st. It's a bit clunky to use and I don't believe it is documented but it is there.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#97 Post by Oberlus »

:o
That's great! Thanks, wobbly.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#98 Post by truepurple »

So if one of your ships in a battle sees a stealthy unit, all the rest do too?

If a battle between fleets happen where some units are hidden, can the hidden units attack and remain hidden?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#99 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:09 am So if one of your ships in a battle sees a stealthy unit, all the rest do too?

Yes.
No (or more precisely, he attacks on the first round which removes his stealth on the second).
Yes.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#100 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:55 am
truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:09 am So if one of your ships in a battle sees a stealthy unit, all the rest do too?
Yes.
Actually, it is "if your empire can see a ship, all your ships can see it", because detection strength is the same for all your ships.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#101 Post by truepurple »

If you got a mix of ships that can be seen and can't be seen, does the enemy just hit the units it can see? Or does it stand a chance to try to target the stealth ships and miss?

It sounds like the main benefit to stealth on ships that battle is getting a free round of fire if all are stealthed higher than the enemy detection anyway. Is there a way to tell how high of detection the enemy nation has?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#102 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:40 am If you got a mix of ships that can be seen and can't be seen, does the enemy just hit the units it can see? Or does it stand a chance to try to target the stealth ships and miss?
Yes. No.
truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:40 am It sounds like the main benefit to stealth on ships that battle is getting a free round of fire if all are stealthed higher than the enemy detection anyway. Is there a way to tell how high of detection the enemy nation has?
No, main benefit is that you can go unknown and unhindered into enemy terrain for surprise attacks. Or too mislead your enemy, hiding your strength.

Yes. Read the sitreps or look at the empire window.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#103 Post by truepurple »

TYVM for the information provided thus far.

Does automated aggression cause a ship to attack other ships if they have weapons, or if they don't have weapons?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#104 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 pm TYVM for the information provided thus far.

Yes.

Both.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#105 Post by truepurple »

So when does automated aggression decide to attack and when does it decide to hide?