Questions about game play.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Questions about game play.

#61 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:06 pm "Does infrastructure currently do anything in 4.10, and if so what?"

So can more than one species be on a planet? If only one species can be on a planet, then the planet set to produce the ship is the species that crews it?
On a planet, no (it's an old design decision, won't be reversed I guess). But in an Empire, yes.

So yes for the last question.

PS : you have been answered already about the infrastructure, that you shouldn't bother with it in the version you're playing. If you're so bent on finding exactly what it does though, why not research it yourself ? All the information I have about it comes from public sources (if I remembered which, I would point them to you).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#62 Post by Oberlus »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:06 pm If only one species can be on a planet, then the planet set to produce the ship is the species that crews it?
xDDDD

truepurple
Space Kraken

#63 Post by truepurple »

Energy compressor
This is an upgrade to the Basic Shipyard and is required for the formation of all energy hulls and all further energy hull shipyard upgrades.

Requiring a high energy star to siphon energy from, it can only be built at a system with a Blue, White or Black Hole star type.

A highly specialized shipyard designed to create and mount parts on large bundles of densely compressed energy. This is a fragile process, and this shipyard will explode mightily if it takes more than a very small amount of Damage.
What is the actual effect of this explosion? Damaging the attacker? Other stuff in orbit? Destroying stuff built on the planet? Killing population on the planet?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#64 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:36 pm What is the actual effect of this explosion? Damaging the attacker? Other stuff in orbit? Destroying stuff built on the planet? Killing population on the planet?
Good question actually, I'd like to know the answer myself.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#65 Post by truepurple »

If you have a fleet of two ships that have three lasers each and one ship that is all plate, functionally in combat would that be the same as having three ships with two lasers and a plate?

Is there tech that helps you invade better/that gives you better invading troops?

Is detection range and detection strength the same value?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#66 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:41 pm
truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:36 pm What is the actual effect of this explosion? Damaging the attacker? Other stuff in orbit? Destroying stuff built on the planet? Killing population on the planet?
Good question actually, I'd like to know the answer myself.
Pretty sure that text should be deleted.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#67 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:52 pm If you have a fleet of two ships that have three lasers each and one ship that is all plate, functionally in combat would that be the same as having three ships with two lasers and a plate?
not exactly. on a rough scale it would be the same if the structure of the two ships combined is the same as the structure of the three ships combined. Resulting combat "power" is roughly (sum-of-all-damage * sum-of-all-structure). but there is a lot of fine print, study the combat locks to see what is happening.

that formula is why splitting forces is usually a bad idea - combining 2 equal ships from two systems into one system results in 4 times the power.
truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:52 pm Is there tech that helps you invade better/that gives you better invading troops?
yes, cyborgs
truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:52 pm Is detection range and detection strength the same value?
for monsters yes; for empires no. detection strength is vs stealth.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#68 Post by truepurple »

Does this game have a planet list for looking for new homes to colonize like MoO2 does that I'm just not finding?
but there is a lot of fine print, study the combat locks to see what is happening.
What is a "combat lock"? Maybe you mean combat log? I find those difficult to use, lots of "random ship name attacks" so I can't even tell what kind of ship is attacking what at a glance, stupid automatic ship names and identifying what is happening only by those names! Ship names aside, I still doubt I could really get a good idea what is happening just from logs. Like I got no idea whether it's more effective to build fighter bays with lots of plating for the outside slots or weapon masters with a plate.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#69 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:07 pm Like I got no idea whether it's more effective to build fighter bays with lots of plating for the outside slots or weapon masters with a plate.
Well, I guess you need to build understanding, do number crunching or simply try out. The basics are simple and shown in the combat logs.

What is effective is matter of circumstance and mathematics. I also gave you the secret formula.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#70 Post by truepurple »

Can someone please look at this save and tell me why I lost at Chiro A when I should have won big? The enemy does have shields on a few ships, but only the weakest kind, also my maxed out lasers should have punched through it regardless.

The enemy ships are in a molecular cloud which removes shields, with my on the way to attack them, would they have shields by the time I arrive and attack? Does the log mention shields if there are any involved?
Attachments
FreeOrion_Human_Player_Terran_0187_20210710_114601.doc
Replace doc extension with .sav I have to do it this way so the forum will allow the upload.
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 71 times

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#71 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:04 pm Can someone please look at this save and tell me why I lost at Chiro A when I should have won big?
Put a screenshot of the log, it's easier to analyze.
Also give us the fleet composition, if it's not too much work (I mean, with dozen of different ships I'd understand you'd bail out, but usually the AI sticks to a few designs).

Not to say that you should not have added a save, if someone wants to look deeper in it, but that someone won't be me.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#72 Post by truepurple »

I think I might have figured out what happened.
Last edited by truepurple on Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#73 Post by truepurple »

Is there some circumstances where it's better to use a colonizer ship directly to colonize a world where others where I want to build a outpost and then convert it to a colony?

Is there a way to build Cultural Archives?
Last edited by truepurple on Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#74 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:06 pm Got any idea why I can't build ships on my home world?
You selected the asteroids and not your homeworld planet

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#75 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:50 pm Is there some circumstances where it's better to use a colonizer ship directly to colonize a world where others where I want to build a outpost and then convert it to a colony?

Is there a way to build Cultural Archives?
Yes. Mostly when you want to colonize out of Supply.
No.