Questions about game play.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

truepurple
Space Kraken

Re: Questions about game play.

#46 Post by truepurple »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:52 pm In the end it's an "I like to have food and water and make colony management more complex and cumbersome, without giving it much thought" -> "Sorry, been there, did that, not gonna happen again" sort of conversation, which makes sense to be in feedback and not introduce more noise in game design.
So it's some inconsiderate insulting a idea and the person providing the idea without giving it much thought so therefore it should be in this forum that doesn't describe the type of subject it is at all, sort of conversation.

In fact I have given it plenty of thought. It's not about adding food because I like the idea of food in the game, it's about making a empire where you protect your people, that becomes part of the challenge and victory.
Like Civilization has food systems, and they are all crap, it is absolutely not about "food for food sake"
Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:37 pm It seems to me to be a design discussion / suggestion about something to add to the game, not feedback about the game as it is
In fact, my idea would fundamentally change how the game is played, which is why I thought perhaps it could be a mod or variant.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:37 pm which would be more like a bug report or discussion about balance.
Why a bug report? As far as balance, since it fundamentally changes how the game plays, there will be balance issues at first, but a forum for balance issues I am sure is meant for existing balance issues, not balance issues that would be created because of a suggestion that changes how the game plays.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#47 Post by truepurple »

Is there a way to manage my ships? Because right now I find I waste a lot of time in the game with fleet management, finding ships on planets looking for tiny little dashes, rearranging fleet setup etc. All super cumbersome and time consuming. I finally figured out how that blasted "Add fleet" thing works, you actually drag ships over to take them out of fleets. But even with the bit I've figured out over playing, it's still hell managing ships, is there a better way?

truepurple
Space Kraken

#48 Post by truepurple »

Does solar collector only work on organic ships? Does robotic interfaces shield only do anything if you are a robot race?

Does the game care whether the structures are all on one ship or spread out on multiple ships? If not, someone please explain the ship "comstat" to me.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#49 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:29 am Does solar collector only work on organic ships? Does robotic interfaces shield only do anything if you are a robot race?

Does the game care whether the structures are all on one ship or spread out on multiple ships? If not, someone please explain the ship "comstat" to me.
Yes; yes.

I don't understand the third question.
Comsat is chaff used to force combat on passing ships.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#50 Post by Oberlus »

truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:44 pm In fact I have given it plenty of thought.
You probably spent a lot of time thinking of base water, unused water, used water, water shipment, water freighters, mixing usable and unusable water, freighting population, scrapping freighters that go back home to unload the population they carry, "floods, droughts, mega storms etc for players to deal with, and means to deal with them" (whithout really caring to detail those).
But you spent no time developing equations for your suggestions or, what is more important, and what I was really meaning by "without giving it much thought", you didn't care to read about FreeOrion design phillosofy and didn't make searchs on older discussions to see what was done or discarded and why, or to know the game to a minimum degree (e.g. Evacuation does your population freighting thingy, there is no need for population freighting, Evacuation is less micromanagy and simpler to use).
I don't think you really need to feel insulted for telling you what's what, but that's up to you.
It's not about adding food because I like the idea of food in the game
So you would not like food in the game? Then why do you suggest it?
it's about making a empire where you protect your people, that becomes part of the challenge and victory.
If you and me ever play against each other, you better do your best to protect your people, or they will be my people.
BTW, feeding is not exactly protecting. In any case, feeding as well as giving shelter, clothes, goods, entertainment, etc. is all in the game, just expressed with only two magnitudes: habitability and stability. You research techs that convey all those concepts in just two, making the game more about galactic conquest, empire development, strategy and tactic, instead of a resource management game (as I already told you but seemingly you fail to understand, because you didn't give it enough thought, because I don't think you are uncapable of understanding it but just not caring to think about it).
Like Civilization has food systems, and they are all crap, it is absolutely not about "food for food sake"
It's to give you more stuff to do. Luckily you can play Civ. Or SMAX. Or you can implement your own mod of FreeOrion, it's open source, you can take it and do with it whatever you like more. What you can't do is convince others that your taste is better than theirs.

Also, I find a bit disrespectful that you keep asking questions that are perfectly explained in the game's documentation (such as these).

truepurple
Space Kraken

#51 Post by truepurple »

So you would not like food in the game?
It's not about the food...

I got a planet with Abandoned Colony, comes with existing infrastructure. I still have no idea what infrastructure is and the in game description is trash.
The term Infrastructure refers to technical structures that support a colonized planet: energy, transportation, telecommunication and social services for the citizens.

The Target Infrastructure is the stable Infrastructure level a planet will approach, given the current factors influencing the planetary Infrastructure. Its value is connected to Building Types built on the planet, Technologies researched by the empire, Specials linked to the planet, and various other game effects. If these factors change, then the Target Infrastructure value is likely to shift.
But what is it??? What does it do???

truepurple
Space Kraken

#52 Post by truepurple »

Translinguistics
Does nothing. Later this can enable peaceful acquisition of native planets.

Lesser minds struggle with, or accept the confines of the language they have learned. Adequate minds reach and feel constrained by the concepts they are given ways to express. Truly great minds break free of the bounds of language, forming and analyzing thoughts that verge on the transcendental. But merely great minds are left isolated and futile, for without language to express thoughts, how can they share their insights?
So how do you peacefully acquire native planets? I have looked up and down the tech tree and I can find nothing that clearly says anything about peacefully taking over native planets.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#53 Post by Geoff the Medio »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:04 amSo how do you peacefully acquire native planets?
The feature is not yet implemented. Probably in the version after v0.5
Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:21 amAlso, I find a bit disrespectful that you keep asking questions that are perfectly explained in the game's documentation (such as these).
It's OK to ignore such a question if you don't like it...

truepurple
Space Kraken

#54 Post by truepurple »

These questions have not "been answered in the games documentation" if by "game documentation" you mean in game documentation.
If you mean that quick play guide, lots of stuff isn't explained there.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:08 am
So how do you peacefully acquire native planets?
The feature is not yet implemented. Probably in the version after v0.5
Does infrastructure currently do anything in 4.10, and if so what?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#55 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:13 pm These questions have not "been answered in the games documentation" if by "game documentation" you mean in game documentation.
There are many sources for game documentation, which is globally quite complete (not entirely complete, and sometime obsolete too, alas).
But indeed it's not that well indexed, and finding what one needs is not always easy.

You could synthesize all what exists in an ordered manner if you want, that would be a useful contribution.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#56 Post by Oberlus »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:13 pm These questions have not "been answered in the games documentation" if by "game documentation" you mean in game documentation.
Dude, this is ridiculous. "Yo, dawg, I heard you like game documentation so I brought you some game documention within game documentation so that you can read game documentation within game documentation" sort of.

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:29 am Does solar collector only work on organic ships?
From the Pedia of the Solar Concentrator ship part:
The Solar Concentrator uses the phototropic effect of Hull Line: Organic ships to increase the strength of Laser Weapons.
Maybe not as specific as you need.
truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:29 am Does robotic interfaces shield only do anything if you are a robot race?
From the Pedia of Robotic Interface: Shields ship part:
The effect is capped at 20 shield strength, only applies to ships crewed by Robotic Metabolism species and can only be placed in a Hull Line: Robotic ship.
I'm sure you don't find this one ambiguous, just you didn't read it (accusations? meh).

truepurple
Space Kraken

#57 Post by truepurple »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:22 pm From the Pedia of the Solar Concentrator ship part:
The Solar Concentrator uses the phototropic effect of Hull Line: Organic ships to increase the strength of Laser Weapons.
Does robotic interfaces shield only do anything if you are a robot race?

From the Pedia of Robotic Interface: Shields ship part:
The effect is capped at 20 shield strength, only applies to ships crewed by Robotic Metabolism species and can only be placed in a Hull Line: Robotic ship.
I'm sure you don't find this one ambiguous, just you didn't read it (accusations? meh).
I specifically read those before asking. The issue was they were unclear, I could guess, but I wanted to know for sure. For example, just because you didn't choose a robot species as your starting race, doesn't theoretically mean you can't get access to robots to crew the ship. So I can't tell just from that in game description, so I asked. The in game help files seem to favor being colorful over being helpful.

Also, are you posting just to troll and cause trouble and not to help? I mean you're harping about some questions that have already been answered for no apparent reason other than to criticize me, like you want conflict.

Like if you're going to post in a thread specifically for my asking questions, maybe answer one of my questions.

"Does infrastructure currently do anything in 4.10, and if so what?"

Seems like it would be simpler to just answer that question rather than bother with your silly criticisms.

So the independent owned planets, the only way to use them is to invade them? You can't communicate with them or anything else?
And the only way to invade them is to send down some troops like you would a enemy nation?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#58 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:46 pm For example, just because you didn't choose a robot species as your starting race, doesn't theoretically mean you can't get access to robots to crew the ship.
Oh, that's what you meant. In FreeOrion, Empire!=Species.
So what's important it the species that builds the ship, not your starting species.
Once a ship is built, it can't change its crew, though.

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:46 pm So the independent owned planets, the only way to use them is to invade them? You can't communicate with them or anything else?
And the only way to invade them is to send down some troops like you would a enemy nation?
In your version, yes. There are other (very limited uses) in master, and it's a work in progress.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#59 Post by truepurple »

"Does infrastructure currently do anything in 4.10, and if so what?"

So can more than one species be on a planet? If only one species can be on a planet, then the planet set to produce the ship is the species that crews it?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#60 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:37 pm
Oberlus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:52 pm...makes sense to be in feedback and not introduce more noise in game design.
It seems to me to be a design discussion / suggestion about something to add to the game, not feedback about the game as it is, which would be more like a bug report or discussion about balance.
Well, writing "playing this test game made me think about a food and water system, should I expand it ?" is in a way a play-testing feedback, and would probably have been more useful that writing a full proposal in Other Game Design without really knowing the background nor having much experience with the game.
He would have been pointed to the former discussions, and if after reading them he still believed that his ideas would fit well into the game, having read the lengthy threads he probably would be able to propose something worthy of discussion - or by not reading them he would spare us the need to answer him.