Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

#211 Post by Oberlus »

Thanks for telling.
Have fun.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#212 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:11 am I'm noticing a secondary problem to game speed that seems to go a little like this:

Free Orion Developers: "Lets add mechanics that hinder spamming colonies on every planet in the universe"

Free Orion Players: "Lets spam colonies on every planet in the universe and never actually go to war"
Funky, I had expected people (with good pilots) to go for early grabs as building colonies is not as juicy, hardware is not obsolete as fast as it was, homeworlds are a great source of population-dependend bonus and exponential growth is diminished so falling back in economy is not as evil.

On the other hand I dont know anything about stability on invaded planets.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#213 Post by LienRag »

It's not only in-game that things didn't go according to plan, so I played both turns.
I may play another one tomorrow morning if everybody played theirs and then I won't be able to play until tomorrow evening (actually, if next turn brings tense decisions that can't be made quickly, I won't have time to make them tomorrow morning, only in the evening).

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#214 Post by wobbly »

So the fields that give research? I think these need to dissipate a little quicker to discourage spamming small ships and parking them in the field.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#215 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 am So the fields that give research? I think these need to dissipate a little quicker to discourage spamming small ships and parking them in the field.
If you do that they'll be even more of a luck factor as no one would have time to build a strategy (if they don't already have a fleet nearby) before they dissipate.

Imho they should be removed from the game until someone is able to devise a way to make them interesting strategically.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#216 Post by Oberlus »

+1 to wobbly. Fields should die faster.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#217 Post by LienRag »

And how would you prevent them to be a pure "luck grab" without any strategic meaning (apart the random boost of research to anybody nearby) ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#218 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:34 pm And how would you prevent them to be a pure "luck grab" without any strategic meaning (apart the random boost of research to anybody nearby) ?
What do you mean by "strategic meaning"?
What is the strategic meaning of starting a game with Muursh nearby? Or some good planets for your starting species?
Would you prefer the game to have no luck involved? I don't think you'll have much support on that.

Having to decide between building expensive and useful ships to control your borders or many small chaff ships to harvest fields is a decision to make. The extra useless ships increase the cost of the others. Moving them around to chase the fields is also a decision to make when you have enemies or monsters around. Dani is doing that in this game, he has some 30 or 40 ships chasing fields to harvest RP. He could instead have some 5 or 10 more warships to fight drkosy or L29Ah.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#219 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:30 pmshouldn't you be playing your turn? you're last one for the past few hours :twisted:
LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:36 pmI'm trying but I have to wait for the OTP (apparently the snap refreshed -?- and it doesn't recognize me).
I can log into the server and get the password email and it seems to recognize it, but I then get stuck in the multiplayer lobby and don't get forwarded into the game itself.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#220 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:00 pm I can log into the server and get the password email and it seems to recognize it, but I then get stuck in the multiplayer lobby and don't get forwarded into the game itself.
I'm connecting without problems, see the galaxy map in few seconds.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#221 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It seems to have taken a few minutes, but I did eventually get in (while I was typing a forum post, seemingly...)

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#222 Post by LienRag »

I still didn't get any password.
I'd appreciate not losing my turn because of that...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#223 Post by Oberlus »

Sometimes, in some games (not current one), I get very slow bandwidth from the MP server (like 5 minutes to download game state of next turn), while my Internet works just fine and other players have no lag whatsoever at the same time. I never found out what was the problem.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#224 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:16 pm I still didn't get any password.
I'd appreciate not losing my turn because of that...
You tried to connect several times and got no OTP mail yet?
I guess Internet is doing its magic, and your mails are lost in some server not fond of protonmail.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#225 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:19 pm You tried to connect several times and got no OTP mail yet?
Indeed.
And I can't really wait any longer.