Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

#226 Post by o01eg »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:19 pm You tried to connect several times and got no OTP mail yet?
Indeed.
And I can't really wait any longer.
Could you check spam folder for e-mail?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#227 Post by LienRag »

I did.
The last FreeOrion mail I got was "you are last to end turn 100" at 17:40 (don't know which meridian), and it was in my inbox, not in spam.
I take it that you checked that the mails were sent ?

o01eg
Programmer

#228 Post by o01eg »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:29 am I did.
The last FreeOrion mail I got was "you are last to end turn 100" at 17:40 (don't know which meridian), and it was in my inbox, not in spam.
I take it that you checked that the mails were sent ?
I see that message at 2021-06-15 15:40:24 UTC.

So you tried to login as LienrRag and didn't get other e-mails then.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#229 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:48 pm
wobbly wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:11 am Free Orion Developers: "Lets add mechanics that hinder spamming colonies on every planet in the universe"

Free Orion Players: "Lets spam colonies on every planet in the universe and never actually go to war"
Funky, I had expected people (with good pilots) to go for early grabs as building colonies is not as juicy, hardware is not obsolete as fast as it was, homeworlds are a great source of population-dependend bonus and exponential growth is diminished so falling back in economy is not as evil.

On the other hand I dont know anything about stability on invaded planets.
I am Etty. I could not go for early grabs because my capital was too far from any interesting colony or homeworld, and the stability malus from bad connection made it useless to conquer anything or expand too far away until I got a forward regional admin center. So I focused on getting a social slot first, to adopt Propaganda, then get Industrialism (+10 stability at the moment) and unlock another social slot, and I wanted to eventually get Interstellar Infrastructure to build a forward RegAd. That was fruitless, I got to adopt System Infrastructure but was incapable of saving the 200 IP Interstellar takes. Well, not incapable, I could freeze growth for some 40 turns, with most worlds set to influence. I grew desperate so I adopted Centralization when I had some 130 IP in the stock. That crippled severely my IP output, but I was able to build that damned forward RegAd before getting into red IP numbers and drop Centralization. With that, I managed to get many more planets with stability over 10 if set to research, which greatly accelerated my research, plus I had got Laenfa, so I got Distrib. Thought Computing "quickly". Then Environmentalism (+10 stability, +2 IP, +3 RP, -5 PP), which together with DTC made my RPs rocket high as hell, as well as my IP, but with near zero PP (just capital and one huge-population native planets could get more than a couple of PP if set to industry). It's impossible to go to war with Environmentalism in place, but it's hard to get reasonable IP input without Environmentalism when you have tens of planets. Anyways, I've saved a lot of IP so I guess I'll be able to drop Environmentalism and take the IP blow for long enough to do some interesting conquests. I also have Diversity and 7 different species, which gives me +1.5 IP and stability, and that cuts me some slack. If Racial Purity wasn't as restrictive as it is, I would consider taking it and put to conc. camps any conquered planet (except the best ones, and so put to conc. camps other planets of mine instead). But Racial Purity would destroy my whole empire by itself, so I shall use Evacuation in most conquests and abandon some of the outposts, until all enemies are kaputt.

o01eg
Programmer

#230 Post by o01eg »

Restarted the server so LienRag could try to login again.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#231 Post by wobbly »

I'm going to say it. It'd be nice if extending the time didn't actually mean you taking more then an extra 24 hrs to play your damn turn LR.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#232 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:00 am I am Etty. I could not go for early grabs because my capital was too far from any interesting colony or homeworld, and the stability malus from bad connection made it useless to conquer anything or expand too far away until I got a forward regional admin center...
Wow, thank you for that detailed info. In hindsight, would moving the capital make an early grab possible in your situation?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#233 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 pm In hindsight, would moving the capital make an early grab possible in your situation?
I guess it could, but I should try it to be sure. As it is now, that you have to lose your palace to build another one, it would give a lot of influence deficit for 8 turns, and a big stability malus to all previous colonies. I think it would work better to pick Centralization and build a RegAd. I didn't do it at start because I had several jumps to next habitable planet with possible outposts in bettween being large so I needed to get extra supply techs, but instead I went for the social slots and industrialism first. I think going first Centralization and extra supply could even in this setting I got, but certainly if I got smaller outposts or closer viable colonies.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#234 Post by drkosy »

Funky, I had expected people (with good pilots) to go for early grabs as building colonies is not as juicy, hardware is not obsolete as fast as it was, homeworlds are a great source of population-dependend bonus and exponential growth is diminished so falling back in economy is not as evil.

On the other hand I dont know anything about stability on invaded planets.
I think the main problem is exploration. The game forces the player to explore and find some 1.) interessting planets 2.) specials for stability and growth 3.) interessting native races.

I explored a lot but didn't reach any special or native race to push me forward. With etty (yes, I'm the second one) you don't have resource boni (not PP, not RP, not IP) so I just had to wait till my colonies were big enough to switch a few to IP and got some reasonable output. In principal I just wait to be killed by someone with better starting conditions...

For me, the starting position is still to important. You get tea ghiruns early you have a super huge bonus till they have good pop, good PP, great IP. You have a growth special nerby you have a great advantage due to increased pop.

For me I just did not have the IP to go to war till now. I still do not have the IP to build a lot of outposts to reach a homeworld somewhere. Conquer was just no option for me. That +1 weapon trait don't help much, if you can't go to war...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#235 Post by wobbly »

I went to war early. Just didn't have much other choice, I had a shortage of good planets to colonize and nothing better to do then spam ships. On the one hand it meant I was fighting someone with a lot more PP then me, on the other hand I already had a lot of ships down when we clashed. Seemed to work out ok.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#236 Post by LienRag »

Can't launch FreeOrion_beta this morning :

Code: Select all

error: cannot communicate with server: timeout exceeded while waiting for response
ERROR: not connected to the gnome-3-38-2004 content interface.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#237 Post by Oberlus »

I have no experience with snap, but googling for your error says you should do something like

snap connect freeorion:gnome-3-38-2004 gnome-3-38-2004:gnome-3-38-2004
Hope it helps.

The other solution some people do (not freeorion related) is to remove the snap version and use non-snap version. In your case, that would be to download the source and compile it.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#238 Post by Ophiuchus »

I think what happened is that the branch channel timed out.
So I released it again: freeorion_2021-05-11.4f04bdc rev=214 channel=latest/beta/slow-game-016
Probably you guys (wobbly? LienRag? need again to switch to it)

As LienRag called the install FreeOrion_beta that means

snap refresh FreeOrion_beta --channel=latest/beta/slow-game-016
And I added a checkbox to my release list so I re-release it every week (thereby pushing the deadline).

LienRag wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:49 am Can't launch FreeOrion_beta this morning :

error: cannot communicate with server: timeout exceeded while waiting for response
ERROR: not connected to the gnome-3-38-2004 content interface.
Which track is your FreeOrion_beta following; try:

snap info freeorion
? I pushed an untested snap to latest/beta yesterday, but I was under the impression you guys did not use the weekly builds.

Anyway following your report i reverted back to revision 222 because of the timely coincidence.
Please do a

snap refresh FreeOrion_beta
and try starting the game again.

But it may also be that there is the problem with the content interface (which should have happened already with last weeks build; some commits to master broke my old build and i changed over to building based on the snapcraft.yaml based core20, which uses the gnome content snap to provide all the basic gl/sound/GUI libraries).

What is the output of:

snap info gnome-3-38-2004
and of:

snap connections --all
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#239 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 am
Probably you guys (wobbly? LienRag? need again to switch to it)

As LienRag called the install FreeOrion_beta that means

snap refresh FreeOrion_beta --channel=latest/beta/slow-game-016
Actually my / is apparently full (snaps take 5 Go of it) to the extent that even a snap remove whalebird (because I don't use whalebird anymore) is refused because the disk is full.
Ditto for sudo snap set system refresh.retain=2 (that I just learned, but apparently too late).
Same with any command to remove packages or purge kernels.
Would you have an idea about how to solve that ?
I guess it could solve itself once I free at least a minimal amount of space, but I don't know how to do that if all the commands that free space are refused because the disk is full.
My disk is formatted in btrfs but I believe that the deduplication commands also are refused when the disk is full.

Technically I could reboot on a USB key and use gparted to grow the partition, but the way my disk is partitioned it'll be a bit complicated (and long).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#240 Post by Oberlus »