Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#91 Post by o01eg »

LienRag wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:42 pm I'm at a screen which tells me that the game cannot accept any new players since a game is being played.
Nice, we are ready to reset so the game. So I'll cut tech and build costs in half. What was decided about galaxy size?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#92 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 pm
LienRag wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:42 pm I'm at a screen which tells me that the game cannot accept any new players since a game is being played.
Great, you're in.
Good news indeed.
Was it the game you're playing or the test game ?
What is the schedule for restarting the game ?
How will I be warned that a new turn has been played, so I can play my turn in a timely manner ?

drkosy
Space Dragon

#93 Post by drkosy »

OK, instead of 25 systems per player, I suggest 40, for a galaxy with 240 systems and 6 players.
I am fine with that :)
How will I be warned that a new turn has been played, so I can play my turn in a timely manner ?
You get an email for every turn that begins and every time you are the last player to end the turn. That was the setting for the last game and I think it will be the same on the new game.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#94 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:10 pm What was decided about galaxy size?
40 systems per player

o01eg
Programmer

#95 Post by o01eg »

Restarted the game.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#96 Post by LienRag »

o01eg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:14 pm Restarted the game.
Thanks !

Let the best triumph !

And let the best be me !

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#97 Post by LienRag »

Re-reading the discussion, there was no official confirmation of the game settings.
Am I right to assume that this is the current settings after back-and-forth discussion ?
  • Experimentors: Disabled.
  • No monsters
  • No natives
  • Diplomacy
  • No team win
  • Systems per player: 40 [so 240 systems total]
  • Galaxy shape: Disc
  • Galaxy age: Medium
  • Research cost: 50%
  • Production cost: 50%
The initial screen disappears too quickly for me to see the other Galaxy parameters and I don't know how to come back to it.
Production cost is halved both for buildings and ship hulls and parts ?
Diplomacy and no team wins means "highlander"-style game, right ? At the end there can be only one...

Players :
o01eg
Oberlus
Ophiuchus
drkosy
Bobit
LienRag
Also I played my two turns in a row and when I reconnect to the game it shows the button as "turn 2" rather than "revise orders" ?
Are my orders confirmed though ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#98 Post by Oberlus »

Yes, LienRag, your orders are remembered.

It's ring galaxy. You can check out game settings in the help/pedia window, under [[game - galaxy]]

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#99 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 am Yes, LienRag, your orders are remembered.

It's ring galaxy. You can check out game settings in the help/pedia window, under [[game - galaxy]]
Oh, thanks, I never saw that.
So the quick-disappearing screen gives false settings then ? Is that a bug ?

Also, no specials ?
I guess it's fairer since it would make luck a more important factor, but specials are fun and make for strategic confrontations...

Is there a time where most players play their turn, so I would check my mail around this time to see if a new turn has been played ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#100 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:59 am So the quick-disappearing screen gives false settings then ? Is that a bug ?
What you see in that screen is the values you last introduced in your client galaxy settings when starting a single player game (or the default ones if you didn't change them).
Dunno how to call it (buggy? unpolished?).
Also, no specials ?
I guess it's fairer since it would make luck a more important factor, but specials are fun and make for strategic confrontations...
I think this was decided to please Voker57, but he didn't join the game anyway because other of his conditions could not be met.
I like specials low because no specials means huge advantage to self-sustaining (if you start with Trith, or get a Kobuntura world close to you, you probably win; luckily no body got Trith this 15th game and there are no natives).
Is there a time where most players play their turn, so I would check my mail around this time to see if a new turn has been played ?
My system to be aware of new turns is to have email open all day (other players use the XMPP client that will ring a bell when new communications arrive). It's easy for me to stay tuned because my avoidant attachment allows me to remember to check it constantly in order to scape from reality. So, guys, check out your emails more often, it's for a good cause.
I still need to see what Bobit, drkosy and you do, but with other players (including from Australia and America) a time when we could coincide to play several turns in a row was around 19-22 UTC.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#101 Post by LienRag »

Thing is, I have email open on my computer, but I'm not all day on my computer.
And K9 on the phone doesn't notify me of new emails if I don't check, which I don't want to do compulsively.

I probably also can play several turns in a row around 19-22 UTC (no guarantee though - by the by, what's the relation with Compiègne's Technology University ? They do have a free-software-enthusiast student association who's quite active but I didn't know it was famous in Australia and America).

But what I mostly can do with some regularity I think is play one turn in the morning, one around noon and one (or more) in the evening.
I don't want to put pressure on those for whom this would be an inconvenient schedule but if everybody can do that it would accelerate the game.
Of course when push will come to shove it may be not a good idea to make hurried decisions in the morning, but for early turns I don't think that so much deep thinking is needed once the general strategy is defined or refined (which can be done in the evening). Of course that could be my inexperience talking...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#102 Post by LienRag »

When launching the game to play the 4th turn it stalled at the "fake settings screen".
After that when I exited twice (and closed Firefox which was eating most of my RAM) and re-joined I had to login again with an OTP for the first time since I joined the game. Is that normal ?

Now I got a message "you are last to end 5 turn" and I played my turn and clicked on "turn 5" but it still writes "waiting for other players" in the message log, and I still have the "Reverse Orders 5" option where "turn 6" should appear.

Is it just that someone played turn 5 and then reversed his orders before I played myself or is there a bug ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#103 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:34 pm Is it just that someone played turn 5 and then reversed his orders before I played myself or is there a bug ?
At first it was configured to send a reminder to the last player. At some time o01eg changed it to send the reminder to the last two players, but didn't update the text of the message.
So you were second to last. Better than being the last!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#104 Post by LienRag »

What are the rules for Diplomacy, by the way ?
I mean both the coded rules (what are the diplomacy options and where to see them) and the gentleman's agreement that is supposed to be respected by players on how to behave ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#105 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:32 pm What are the rules for Diplomacy, by the way ?
I mean both the coded rules (what are the diplomacy options and where to see them) and the gentleman's agreement that is supposed to be respected by players on how to behave ?
Diplomacy mechanics:
- You can select an empire in the Empire window, right-click and ask for peace (if at war), declare war or propose alliance (if at peace) or cancel alliance (if allied).
- Empires at peace won't shoot at each other, and can gift ships and planets (the receiver must have a ship or planet in the same system, right-click on the object to be gifted and select the receiving empire, ownage is updated when turn is processed).
- Allied empires share supply (but not resources, just the connections) and vision, and can gift planets.

Diplomacy rules:

Strictly speaking, the only forbidden thing to do is hacking the game to do something that isn't supposed to happen. If the game mechanics allow it, you can do it. So you can talk or be quiet, keep promises or lie.

Regarding social stuff, if you negotiate an agreement, speaking clearly, and you keep your word, and there are no misunderstandings, that will be memorable. If someone perceives your actions as a treason, that will be unforgettable.

I usually do intense diplomacy, meaning I PM people, propose alliances, partitions of space, rules about how and when to break alliance if it is not possible to win with alliance (this last part has failed miserably several times, meaning the former allies get mad at me once the alliance is broken because something wasn't clear, or I wasn't clear, and they felt betrayed), or just trying to get or share useful information. Other players, that do less or simpler diplomacy, seldom make anyone angry. If you do open war to everyone, no one will get mad at you, xD.

On a related note:
For ring galaxies, the usual is that each player has one neighbor on each side. In games with no allied victory, apparently, the most successful strategy is to get one ally, to not bother guarding one of your sides, and focus on conquering the other neighbor. Late game, if your initial ally is the last remaining foe, you break alliance and go for sudden death.
Three or more players can get into an alliance, but the ones in the middle shall focus on peaceful expansion and will eventually need to attack one of the allies, and that will happen usually when that ally is fighting someone else. But it can work.
No alliance at all can work if you get ahead early on. Wobbly almost win last game doing that (swaq won surprisingly by conquering experimentors).