Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#151 Post by o01eg »

Bobit wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:00 am But whatever is best for you, because I'm aware that I ruined a week of the game.
Don't worry about it much. At least I managed to implement long awaited feature to concede with AI support.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#152 Post by Oberlus »

Bobit wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:00 am I would expect that I would still struggle to remember. Maybe if I could set a timer for a specific login time every day, but just once per day slows everyone down, and what if I forget to charge my phone or am not near it. I don't think I can do it. But whatever is best for you, because I'm aware that I ruined a week of the game.
Seriously, there's nothing to regret here. For a few days, we just played 4 turns instead of 10 of a game, so what? It didn't happen because you don't care (I bet you had lots of things to think about during these days).
I'm glad you are forgetful and not in trouble, BTW.

For me, the ideal outcome of this situation would be that you join back the game, and any other future game you want to participate in, and that we/you implement something to minimize risk of long-term forgetfulness. I am pretty forgetful, but as a habit I always have gmail open in a tab, so (if I have Internet) I can't miss the FO server notifications. But I guess that won't work for you because you don't work with a computer all day long, right?
Couldn't be something telematic what could work for this? Like sending server notifications via telegram/signal to your phone? However, you mentioned forgetting to charge the phone. If you are capable of staying several days in a row with your phone disconnected and not realize that fact, you are my hero against the connected society :lol: :lol: :lol:

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#153 Post by LienRag »

This is a message I wrote around a week ago, but didn't post since I realized that the screenshot showed all my Empire and that was not something I wanted other players to see.
I had something weird yesterday, I'm not sure what produced it (screenshot attached).

Maybe it was the fact that I joined with the IPv6 address and since it was buggy I exited and joined again with the IPv4 address ?

Now if I join with the IPv6 address I am asked an OTP password again, and if I join with the IPv4 address I get into the game directly.
It happened again yesterday so I took a screenshot after scrolling in empty space (and I cropped some data with GIMP after that), here it is :
Attachments
bug or feature ?
bug or feature ?
freeorionloginscreen.png (136.89 KiB) Viewed 625 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#154 Post by Oberlus »

When you
1. enter a game that asks for password,
2. cancel back to main menu without entering the password, and
3. join another game (single or multi)
the password window from (1) will still be there, like fused with the background graphics, and won't go off until you exit FO.

Workarounds are to introduce password in (1) even if you didn't won't to continue, or exit completely FO before joining the game in (3).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#155 Post by LienRag »

OK, thanks.

Different thing : we do not see the other player's detection range when we do not observe his planet ?
I just lost a ship because of that, it wasn't in the shown detection range but it was in the actual detection range (which I should have known if I had thought about it) and got intercepted by superior force...

I understand that the detection range can vary since the last time we saw it, but couldn't it show the last one ? Maybe a bit greyed to show that it may have changed in the meantime ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#156 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:18 pm Different thing : we do not see the other player's detection range when we do not observe his planet ?
I just lost a ship because of that, it wasn't in the shown detection range but it was in the actual detection range (which I should have known if I had thought about it) and got intercepted by superior force...
My cruiser was there before I saw your ship moving there. Anyways, your ship entered my HW's detection range right before reaching that empty space where my cruiser was already stationary. That HW's detection range is the same it was since turn 1. So you mean you didn't remember that the empty system would have been under my radar, because you just saw the Herd system as if it didn't have any detection range?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#157 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:18 pm we do not see the other player's detection range when we do not observe his planet ?
I understand that the detection range can vary since the last time we saw it, but couldn't it show the last one ? Maybe a bit greyed to show that it may have changed in the meantime ?
I opened a discussion thread for that viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11957
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#158 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:42 pm
My cruiser was there before I saw your ship moving there. Anyways, your ship entered my HW's detection range right before reaching that empty space where my cruiser was already stationary. That HW's detection range is the same it was since turn 1. So you mean you didn't remember that the empty system would have been under my radar, because you just saw the Herd system as if it didn't have any detection range?
Indeed, I fscked up. I relied on what was shown on the Galaxy rather than thinking clearly about what the detection range was supposed to be.

Well, I guess that if your cruiser was already there my ship was doomed anyway ?

The problem is that FreeOrion makes my computer overheat (I need to change the thermic paste but I'm a bit wary to not do it right so I meant to do it in a nearby fablab where I can get help but with the Covid situation it isn't possible yet) so I have to close FreeOrion quite quickly so it's difficult for me to spend a lot of time studying the Galaxy Map to plan my moves (I just made a stupid mistake last turn which cost me another ship but that one is entirely on me, no misleading UI is to blame there).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#159 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:17 pm Well, I guess that if your cruiser was already there my ship was doomed anyway ?
Yeah.
I didn't know where your frig was, but I thought it was a pitty to let that heavily damaged ship get away with it. I only knew it did retreat from that empty space towards Mathan (I think that's the system name, not online now). I thought you could try to hold at Mathan but also, maybe, you could try to attack my HW (just to mess with my supply lines) with that frig and the one already in Mathan, so I moved my cruiser to the rear entrance of my HW. Next turn I saw your damaged frig coming alone, so I guess you were trying to get back to your lines using the southern paths.

Your mistakes are not so stupid, IMO. I think you just take chances without full information, same I do (I lost one troop ship, I let some of your ships scape).
What you say about overheat seems so weird to me. I run several CPU and/or GPU relatively demanding apps (like StarCraft 2, Fallout 4, compiling FO and the Windows annoying background stuff that puts my laptop to its knees for several minutes at startup no matter what I change or disable in several configurations), and all those cause same or more overheat (well, better said over-fan, it gets into jet mode) than playing FO.
What are your specs?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#160 Post by LienRag »

Lenovo Thinkpad T430 with 12 Gb of RAM, on OpenSuse Leap with XFCE.

It overheats since a bit more than a year, usually I can try to keep it below 65°C but with FreeOrion it grows up to 90° - 95° or more (it even shut down on me twice due to overheating, so now when it gets over 90° I close it to let it cool down a bit).
Before that I used to play Starcraft 2 (I had a Windows HD) without any problem, and that was before I extended the RAM.

PS : You've got Automotive Adaptation already ? I guess I'm doomed...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#161 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:57 pm Lenovo Thinkpad T430 with 12 Gb of RAM
Reading on lenovo forums, reddit and tomshardware, I see many people with overheating problems. Some report not good enough results after repasting (laptops still shutting down under load). Some report no issues. And some reports good results improving refrigeration of the room, placing the laptop on surfaces with high heat conduction (metal, stone) or even adding small external fans pointed at the laptop. Not looking great, good luck whatever you do.
Maybe there is some configuration of FO to make it use less GPU and heat less? Like capping maximum FPS?
LienRag wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:57 pm PS : You've got Automotive Adaptation already ? I guess I'm doomed...
I guess you went for Psionics or something?
I see you have another tiny desert colony up there. I assume you used it to extend your supply until my space so that you could colonize that other tiny desert for me to invade it without having to walk. Those are two wastes of PPs, IMO. I guess you overcommitted to "diplomatic" ways but the yield isn't as expected :twisted:
Anyways, I don't know if you are doomed yet, I won't lower the guard.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#162 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:57 pm Lenovo Thinkpad T430 with 12 Gb of RAM, on OpenSuse Leap with XFCE.

It overheats since a bit more than a year, usually I can try to keep it below 65°C but with FreeOrion it grows up to 90° - 95° or more (it even shut down on me twice due to overheating, so now when it gets over 90° I close it to let it cool down a bit).
Can you tell whether it is GPU or CPU use that causes the problem?

Have you adjusted the graphics rendering settings to reduce the power consumption? Limit the frame rate to 30, turn galaxy map gas and starfields rendering? It sounds like you have issues just sitting on the map, so nit relates to game mechanics / effects processing, but rather just rendering the map, so reducing the render options could help.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#163 Post by drkosy »

It overheats since a bit more than a year, usually I can try to keep it below 65°C
Actually in summer I had problems with heat as well. Changing the thermic paste did a good job. For desktop PCs it's not to hard, for notebooks it's freaky work :shock:
For FO: My old bulldozer core (AMD 6years old) is at 20% for the game running, only at start up it gets to 90% and on turn calculation on single player games. So it should be possible for you to open it, let it rest for a short while and than check everything out. On the other hand, maybe you could just take a screen shot, log of, watch everything, log in again and do the turn.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#164 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:58 pm
Can you tell whether it is GPU or CPU use that causes the problem?

Have you adjusted the graphics rendering settings to reduce the power consumption? Limit the frame rate to 30, turn galaxy map gas and starfields rendering? It sounds like you have issues just sitting on the map, so nit relates to game mechanics / effects processing, but rather just rendering the map, so reducing the render options could help.
No idea.
I know what a GPU is but that's basically the extent of my knowledge.

Maybe tweaking rendering may help, yes.
Is it easy to toggle on/off ? I like the Galaxy Map as it is, FreeOrion is quite a nice-looking game actually.

I took a screenshot of the known universe, but to plan well I need to check many things back and forth, and I can't do that on a screenshot.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#165 Post by LienRag »

drkosy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:45 pm For FO: My old bulldozer core (AMD 6years old) is at 20% for the game running, only at start up it gets to 90% and on turn calculation on single player games. So it should be possible for you to open it, let it rest for a short while and than check everything out. On the other hand, maybe you could just take a screen shot, log of, watch everything, log in again and do the turn.
Thanks for the info.
The problem is that if I let it rest by closing the laptop without closing FreeOrion (I tried that yesterday) it loses connection and the server doesn't like it. Even quitting and restarting gave me "timeout" errors and I had to restart twice I think before I could connect again (and it required a new OTP password to let me in, no automatic connection this time).