Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#346 Post by LienRag »

Thanks, but how do I load the saved files ?
Here's what I get ; I can't find an option to browse my computer for loading the files.
Attachments
MP loading.png
MP loading.png (158.01 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#347 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Put the .mps multiplayer save into the same directory as manual saves from a single player game. It should find them there. For me on Windows it's C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion\save

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#348 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:48 pm I think we need to agree on rules for this kind of situation (i.e. player doesn't show up), at least for next game.

I suggest the following (let's discuss):

- If a player asks for it in advance, game can be paused (maximum time?).
- If a player has problems to connect to the server (maybe OTPs not arriving) and misses a turn, game can rewind a single turn.
- If a player has IRL problems, can't connect and can't/won't tell us in advance, after two (three? five?) missed turns the player's empire concedes (server manager --o01eg-- does it, or something is implemented in the server to make it automatic).
Can I invoke this rule for the 16th game ?
I still haven't received any OTP and I need to leave now and won't be able to play (barring exceptional circumstances) until this evening (so, after the deadline for losing my turn).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#349 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:57 am I still haven't received any OTP and I need to leave now and won't be able to play (barring exceptional circumstances) until this evening (so, after the deadline for losing my turn).
Wow, for just 5 minutes you couldn't see o01eg's answer telling your nick isn't actually LienrRag :evil:

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#350 Post by LienRag »

Ooops !
My apologies.
And thanks to all for giving me a second chance to turn in time.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#351 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:31 am I'm not sure whether o01eg filled out all the requisite paperwork in triplicate then signed it with the blood of his firstborn but I do know there was what I believed to be a deal.
(Since I reopened this thread due to the login problem I had, I reread this post to which I didn't want to reply to OOC while the game was ongoing)

Well, I have an o01eg's PM (that I won't show here without his permission) in which o01eg writes that he refuses my proposed ceasefire, PM sent the turn where he also sent warships against my planets (warships that he kept sending waves after waves of for the rest of the game).
I am the first to acknowledge that there can be different interpretations of a diplomatic exchange, but in this precise case it seems to me that there were considerably less leeway...

I didn't know that you weren't (apparently) aware of that point, else I would certainly not have mentioned it OOC in the middle of the game; my apologies for this blunder.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#352 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm It's part of how you worked me up into such a fury. Talking about how you needed to cripple o01eg to survive and about the Oberlus threat and how he would just win if I didn't attack him. (...) I had scouts close enough to see both your borders, if you try and feed me information that doesn't match up with my eyes, you end up with a ragey wobbly.
(...)I'm not a fan of someone trying to play me, tends to get my back up a little.

Well that was my honest assessment of the situation at the time...
I'm not saying that I will always, as an Emperor, be honest in my diplomacy, nor deny that I bullshitted Ophiuchus a little bit (with more or less subtlety) and tried to keep Oberlus underestimating me, but at the time both o01eg and Oberlus attacked me (in what seemed, at least at first, a coordinated manner) I believed that I didn't need to bullshit you and that it was my interest to describe exactly the military and diplomatic situation, so that was what I did, to my best ability.

wobbly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm
LienRag wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:01 pm Well, I was a bit playing for my survival, if you hadn't noticed.
Yeah not long now, but it wasn't long ago that you had a strong position that was easily survivable. You actually had more production then o01eg + Oberlus combined.

You have to keep in mind that it was my first multiplayer game, I had absolutely no reference about what level my production was compared to others.

In single player and before Influence crippled the game, at that number of turns I usually have way more production and research that I had in this game.

I knew that I was ahead of o01eg but that was because most of his planets were put to Research, and I had no idea how much Production he would get if he was to switch focus - but I knew it was a lot (I'm not saying necessarily more than me, but still a lot).

I also believed to not be far behind Oberlus, but had no idea that I was ahead of him.

I only learned that I was ahead of everybody after Oberlus had begun eating my Empire when you opened the door to him, which was a bit late. And it's only with your message that I learned that I had more than them both combined, it never occurred to me.

wobbly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm Talking about how you needed to cripple o01eg to survive and about the Oberlus threat and how he would just win if I didn't attack him.

I certainly needed to cripple o01eg to survive if he refused peace, as the game showed clearly.
He was throwing waves of Etty ships against me that I could destroy only because I kept my fleet in defense against him.
If I had not kept my fleet in defense but divided it, I would have taken losses at a rate roughly equivalent to my production, which would have prevented me to operate any counter-attack against Oberlus.

wobbly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm You had the resources to defend against both threats with production to spare.

I believe that you fail to take into account that I had basically no military except the small (not weak, but still quite small) force facing o01eg's invasion (well, o01eg's defenses/counter-attacks after his invasion did not go that well for him).

I had built my strategy to be able to quickly raise an army able to defend either against o01eg or Oberlus, depending on which way the diplomacy would swing¹.

But when o01eg ignored my diplomatic attempts (which was reasonable of him, he basically had a choice between attacking me and betraying you, so attacking me at the time of his choosing without any diplomatic interference was a very admissible strategy) and Oberlus, after pushing me relentlessly to attack o01eg without provocation, sent a quite impressive invasion force against my Capitol the exact turn that I had successfully ambushed o01eg's forces, I was in quite a quandary. One that I tried to address with a combination of military actions (against o01eg, the immediate threat as it was too late to save my first Capitol and I would lose my second if I didn't push back vigorously against o01eg) and diplomacy (by trying to make sure that you would push against Oberlus so as to give me a chance to counter-attack him).

Also, since I was actually doing Oberlus' bidding by attacking o01eg (but with some chance of success rather than entirely recklessly as Oberlus urged me to before) I believed that I had a diplomatic chance to convince him to stop his attack, so I concentrated my meager eastern army on a defensive position so as to deter Oberlus in view of the losses he would take if he pursued his attack (losses that would not bid well in his fight against you).
Alas, not only it did not deter him since (I believe) you were already not pressing his south flank, I miscalculated the odds and he destroyed all my fleet with very little losses.
I had, IIRC, only three unarmored Protoplasmic ships left in the east, so no way to repel his attack.

And since I calculated that splitting my forces would only lead to disaster against Oberlus' big stack² (which quickly became "enormous stack" once you freed him from having to defend his flank) and had no ability to maneuver since his ships were quicker than mine, my best strategy was to solve the o01eg threat, either diplomatically or militarily, and only then switch my army back against Oberlus. Which of course had a chance of success only if you at least threatened to attack his southern border so as to buy me time.

Note that your big stack annihilated all my chances of survival at the exact moment that I had assembled a small but not useless fleet of Organic Ships, still too weak to directly confront Oberlus but strong enough to play cat-and-mouse with his forces in order to buy me time to build a real military forces...

wobbly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm However you started spamming my inbox trying to convince me to attack Oberlus, so he couldn't win, because you had decided not to defend that flank. All whilst throwing waves of ships at my ally. That unfortunately is a recipe for total annihilation.
Well, if in a war that was not that easy against o01eg (who had a big technological advance and good pilots) I do what Oberlus tells me to do and still Oberlus attacks me, and then I do what you tell me to do (by offering a ceasefire to o01eg) and still you attack me, while each of you has a bigger military than me³, there are not that many options I can try. So, since once he took my Capitol, Oberlus had all the reasons to keep invading my defenseless Empire, yes you were the only one who had the option to prevent Oberlus' victory and since you had some potential interest in doing that, yes I tried to reach out to you diplomatically.
I still fail to see what's unreasonable in that, actually.

¹ Since it is quite a reasonable assumption that o01eg attacked me only when he believed that he could successfully invade, and that I not only quickly annihilated his invasion force but also was on my way to wipe him out if you had not intervened, I believe that this strategy I had devised was not that bad.

² Which one of my last actions in the game proved right, since when my main surviving forces confronted his stack, mine was entirely destroyed while making barely a dent in his (I believe he lost two ships ?).

³ Not for very long for Oberlus as he would have discovered it if I had been able to stabilize my southern border, but certainly quite bigger than mine at the time where he attacked me.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#353 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 pm In single player and before Influence crippled the game, at that number of turns I usually have way more production and research that I had in this game.
Right!
And you know why was that? Because you spent lots of resources early game to outpost useless planets to reach my space and attack me (at treason) without real forces to back up your bully diplomacy.

LienRag wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 pm I only learned that I was ahead of everybody after Oberlus had begun eating my Empire when you opened the door to him
Actually, it was you who opened the door to me, by not honouring the conditions I gave you for our cease fire while also diverting all your forces to the other front.

LienRag wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 pm I certainly needed to cripple o01eg to survive if he refused peace, as the game showed clearly.
What you needed was to not threat o01eg in the first place (that is, not paying attention to only half of what I requested) and focus on finishing me off, knowing that I was enraged as I was towards you and that you would not follow my conditions for the cease-fire.

You talk about o01eg's invasion and your diplomatic attemps failing, but that started after your invasion on o01eg's planets. Invading a planet and destroying some warships of another empire is not exactly what gets your diplomatic attempts to work out.
LienRag wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 pm I do what Oberlus tells me to do and still Oberlus attacks me
It is a unfair that you say that.
You forgot I told you I was sending a scout to your border, "don't kill it", and you killed it. Then I killed your scout and told you "I'm fed up: next time I see even a fucking scout under my sight I go suicide-bomb against you", and you sent another scout and whatnot.
I didn't know if you could not understand my English or that you were Bullshitter King. Either way, it was better to attack you, as I promised.