Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#1 Post by o01eg »

Previous game was ended long ago so it's time to prepare next game. The server will continue 0.4.10.1 release and bug-fix only next releases, not sure if next one even will be planned.

Test game will be started 18th February Thursday and the actual game will be started 19th February Friday.

Changes from previous game:
  • Experimentors: Disabled.
  • No monsters
  • No natives
  • Diplomacy
  • No team win
  • Systems per player: 40
  • Research cost: 100%
  • Production cost: 50%
Currently there are 6 registered players:
o01eg
Oberlus
Ophiuchus
drkosy
Bobit
LienRag
Observers:
Geoff
Last edited by o01eg on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Could you make an observer slot for me?

o01eg
Programmer

#3 Post by o01eg »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:42 pm Could you make an observer slot for me?
It possible to implement it but I didn't made it even for me. Wonder if other player will agree to add some observers to the game?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Sing me in. 0.4.10 is the same we were playing? Without influence? I'm OK with either way.

I'd be more than glad that Geoff observes the game. I trust he will say nothing to anyone :lol:

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Regarding game settings, fixed teams or max number of allied players for victory, to vary from previous game, but I'm OK with no-diplo too.
If we play with diplo, cluster, disc, box or any other galaxy shape rather than ring.

Voker57
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Voker57 »

I'd play if

* No monsters
* No natives
* Diplomacy
* No team win
* AI takes over MIA players.
Team S.M.A.C.: destroying dreams of multiplayer 4x since 2017.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Voker57 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:18 pm I'd play if

* No monsters
* No natives
* Diplomacy
* No team win
* AI takes over MIA players.
I'd love you to join. I would accept all your preferences.
However, it's not possible to get AIs taking over players that concede (or players that do not show up) due to server costs (AFAIK).
I'd love to have such a feature, hands down.
When I've hosted multiplayer games in my laptop there was no problem with AIs (because players are always the bottleneck), but I do not pay for CPU time in my laptop. I'm not willing to rent a server for a while for the only purpose of hosting FO games with AIs. I remember you said once about paying for extra server capabilities: be my guest! if that is possible in o01eg's server or no, I do not know, PM him. If anyone else is willing to mount a public 24h server, that would be great.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

I would play a no-diplomacy game iff i find a tag-team partner (someone who is willing to take over when i drop out because of life constraints). I wouldnt mind geoff being a neutral observer.

And I would propose to get some extra information out of that game, maybe rules tweaked for faster resource development. Or a new map layout as that could be done server-side (e.g. adding an empty system in the middle of every starlane, or lots of empty systems in the middle of the circle).

probably i am able to host a freeorion server with AI on a server; i added a freeorion.freeoriond-dedicated command to the snap two weeks ago which makes it possible to run a game server 24h. but i cant give access to anyone else on that machine and do not have experience with hosting a freeorion game.

also i am not sure how/if it is possible to spawn an AI process when a game runs and connect it to the game

also don't know if o01eg has brought all his multiplayer server goodness into the main line.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:29 pm And I would propose to get some extra information out of that game, maybe rules tweaked for faster resource development.
This. Set building/part/hull cost factor to 0.6 and research cost to 1.0 and you'll get lighting game.
Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:29 pm Or a new map layout as that could be done server-side (e.g. adding an empty system in the middle of every starlane, or lots of empty systems in the middle of the circle).
Not this. It would mess with many mechanics, specially fleet tactics, scouting, expansion and supply.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by wobbly »

I'm still deciding if I'll play. If I don't I'd be prepared to fill in for Ophiuchus, assuming I'm not away on holidays myself.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#11 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:10 pm It would mess with many mechanics, specially fleet tactics, scouting, expansion and supply.
I dont think that a starlane bulk in the middle of the circle (maybe with some monsters roaming there) would change that much actually.

But, messing with mechanics was the idea. It would give rise new situations and one would have to adapt strategies.
The introduction of extra starlane stops probably would probably not work well without some kind of fuel scaling which we do not have.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:08 pm I dont think that a starlane bulk in the middle of the circle (maybe with some monsters roaming there) would change that much actually.

But, messing with mechanics was the idea. It would give rise new situations and one would have to adapt strategies.
The introduction of extra starlane stops probably would probably not work well without some kind of fuel scaling which we do not have.
If divide by two starlane length, then all one-hop attacks are automaticaly one-turn attacks regardless of ship speed. That is a bad idea, it takes out tactical diversity and fun.
If the division is done by injecting with empty systems, then supply reach is halved. Species with bad supply then suffer twice and could get really crippled if bad luck at start (so worse playability, specially in multiplayer). If it is done with populated systems, then supply reach is doubled. Species with bad supply have then much more probabilities to find a good system at supply range, and hence the diversity brought into game by those supply trait values is lost.
Be my guest to try out such scenarios, but I'm not interested on joining such games for now.

Anyways, as I commented, I see no problem in doing the first thing you mentioned: tune the cost factors to accelerate the game. It's simple, direct, fast, and does not break currently-interesting-and-fun-mechanics-that-need-no-messing-with.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#13 Post by drkosy »

Do I need a specific version to join multiplayer games? This is important because I just compiled latest master and only have this version running.

I once tried to get another version on the same system: copied "default" to an stationary folder changed the direction in the menu of the game to stationary folder, changed version for git, compiled again but only the last compiled game worked...

That's why I ask, because I like to keep the v0.10+ running.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:24 pm Do I need a specific version to join multiplayer games?
Yes
o01eg wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:32 am The server will continue 0.4.10.1 release and bug-fix only next releases
But you can have two compilation folders, one for master and one for latest release.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#15 Post by drkosy »

But you can have two compilation folders, one for master and one for latest release.
Finally did to run both releases :) Now I ask myself if there is a way to have saves in different folders. As far as I see, the config file is the same for both versions, so if I change the save-path for one version it changes for the second version as well.

Back to business: Since I have a running version, book me in for the game. Even if I don't think to have a big chance against such experienced multiplayer gamers than you are...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod