Noob Questions

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

nuffi
Space Krill

Noob Questions

#1 Post by nuffi »

I did some reading and found stuff that suggested that if you build an outpost within your supply lines it beomces a colony. Is this true? Are there limitations? What sort of supply needs to be available?

Otherwise, how does one convert an outpost to a colony?

Secondary, slighlt related follow-up question... I am playing Humans, and found a huge terran world not far from my start system. I rushed my colony ship there, and colonised it, but it seems to have just put down an outpost. Why might this be?

Third noob question is interface related. Is there a way to pull up a list of all my fleets and see what they're doing? And is there a similar thing for colonies?

Thanks!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Noob Questions

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Welcome to the forums.
nuffi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am I did some reading and found stuff that suggested that if you build an outpost within your supply lines it beomces a colony. Is this true? Are there limitations? What sort of supply needs to be available?

Otherwise, how does one convert an outpost to a colony?
Outposts within supply do not turn into colonies automatically, you build a colony building of the desired species in the outposts.
Secondary, slighlt related follow-up question... I am playing Humans, and found a huge terran world not far from my start system. I rushed my colony ship there, and colonised it, but it seems to have just put down an outpost. Why might this be?
It can't be. If you used a colony ship, planet turned into a colony (with population of a species).
If you don't see the population, attach a screenshot of the ship before colonization (to check that it is a colony ship and not an outpost ship) and the planet after colonization.
Third noob question is interface related. Is there a way to pull up a list of all my fleets and see what they're doing? And is there a similar thing for colonies?
Try out the Objects Window. By default it shows planets, you can make it show whatever you want (see checkboxes for selection of type of objects listed, and the available filters).

nuffi
Space Krill

#3 Post by nuffi »

Thanks for the quick response.

I have solved the mystery of the uninhabitable huge terran: It has a thing on it called a temporal anomoly, which reduces it's population max by 25.

Thanks for the Objects Window hint. With filters I think it does what I was hoping for.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

nuffi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:25 am I have solved the mystery of the uninhabitable huge terran: It has a thing on it called a temporal anomoly, which reduces it's population max by 25.
Ah, yes.
When you are given the option to colonize a planet with a colony ship, the target (max.) population is shown. Don't colonize if it's not a green number! (above zero).
You can also check the expected target pop. on a planet for al your species by rght-clicking on the planet and clicking on habitability (or something like that). Everything (or almost?) in the UI can be right-clicked for extra options.