Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#136 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:53 am The sudden pop/research/production boosts: indeed big boost to my empire, I'd get aprox. +50% research and +90% production in a few turns. Should I have to conquer the planets myself it would take me probably 2x or 3x the time needed for the gifting, and then a few turns more for each planet until happines gets to 5 before getting any output. Should we ask Ophiuchus to just concede and let each one grab what they can with their own resources?
I'd be happier with this solution. If others are fine with it. I can live with you having your allies fleet, I have a similar sized fleet in the area where we meet.

Edit2: Well maybe, I can't see how many troops ships he has just sitting around his planets. I don't have troop ships in the area.

Edit: Bah, accidental double post.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#137 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am Edit2: Well maybe, I can't see how many troops ships he has just sitting around his planets. I don't have troop ships in the area.
Connecting to check that out...

4 ships of 4 troops each in his central area, already gifted to me. I will scrap the ships and give a nice retirement to the troopers.

I already got two planets in his central area. I have set them to defense focus for 20 turns (5 to simulate the time that would get me to conquer, 5 to recover happiness, 5 more to compensate for the +2 PP from AA and +2/+3 RP from NAI and CTN, 5 to compensate for me not needing to actually conquer the planets with my own troops). Same for any other planet I could be getting in this turn if Ophiuchus didn't read this.
The Eaxaw colonies are already building evacuation projects. Scorched earth it is since I don't see any troop ship of yours nearby.

Is that all OK?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#138 Post by wobbly »

It'll have to do. I've got a fairly militarist empire & you just lost your military ally. You've got a fairly stealthy empire that can see or my stuff. Thats hard to balance out but, hopefully it all comes out clean in the wash. Anyway good game & good luck. And also Good luck to the others! A shame this became messier, I was looking forward to seeing how your stealthed empire worked out. Well, I guess we'll still see, it's just the whole dynamics became a bit cloudier & messier. Ophiuchus managed to save 2 empires this run you know. O01eg was dead in the water if it wasn't for a slight mistake, Danny would of been dropping his capital soon if I hadn't been attacked at an inconvenient time. That's actually the thing I found funniest about the comments when Ophiuchus rolled: my main force was never stuck in the North, my main force was stuck in the East.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#139 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:18 am You've got a fairly stealthy empire that can see or my stuff. Thats hard to balance out
Yes. Ophiuchus was relying in my hidden colonies in the area to see, since 20 or more turns. That plus a hidden scout I gifted him that is closing to Danny's space (for now I see a scout of him, that's all).
wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:18 am A shame this became messier, I was looking forward to seeing how your stealthed empire worked out. Well, I guess we'll still see, it's just the whole dynamics became a bit cloudier & messier.
Oh, I hope it will be close to what could have been with Ophiuchus not leaving the game. My intention to balance things out for that matter is genuine, because I have the same interest than you: seeing what I could have done with the stealth strategy (and the several white/blue starts and good/adeq/poor planets that I had at my disposition, I've had way worse starts in most of my multiplayer games).
Ophiuchus managed to save 2 empires this run you know. O01eg was dead in the water if it wasn't for a slight mistake, Danny would of been dropping his capital soon if I hadn't been attacked at an inconvenient time. That's actually the thing I found funniest about the comments when Ophiuchus rolled: my main force was never stuck in the North, my main force was stuck in the East.
Ah, glad to hear that, I really hope Danny can survive for longer.
And yes, Ophiuchus did a great game start and onslaugh on you. Nice production from two systems with GG and radiated worlds (that I kindly let him have, I could have colonized earlier one of the systems with a blue star :wink:). I guess we can say he was able to gain territory fighting alone against 1.5 empires.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#140 Post by Hyperant »

The pirates are displeased to learn that there was seemingly a galactic wide conflict going on. Its been all quiet on the northern front.

That means much missed opportunity for loads of loot and spoils of war.

Sad Arrrrgh noises
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Magnate
Space Dragon

#141 Post by Magnate »

We intelligent plants are also stunned to learn of Ophiuchus's fall, though slightly less surprised to learn that it is RL not a rout.

I agree that him conceding is the least unbalancing way for him to depart - at least then people actually have to take what he leaves behind. I think gifting should be frowned upon when someone is leaving the game, it should only be used when both players are staying.

Please can someone PM me a way to contact Dany, or ask him to PM me here. I am currently in dialogue with both my other neighbours but Dany has not replied to PMs, and if I can't contact him soon, I'm going to side with wobbly!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#142 Post by Ophiuchus »

50 clicks ago: Sir, I suggest freeing those poor bugs from their machine overlord -- No. We are building an empire. Our vassals will only respect us if we are able to conquer the best fighters in the galaxy (go for eaxaw, not abaddoni)
30 clicks ago: Noooo, thats impossible. Casualities should have been way higher!! All our simulations indicated that. It must be a trick. Or the fighter-worms got decadent and lost all their strength (pilot skill scaling bug)
20 clicks ago: Our vine allies are neither really helping nor keeping their promises. At least we get some intel about the worms and the bugs.
10 clicks ago: Soon we will take the prize from the worms
5 clicks ago: Yes, good, let them come.
4 clicks ago: No, what happened to the blockade? They just let the enemy pass through, our forces are lost. How is that possible? Have the sneaking plants betrayed us?
3 clicks ago: Communication systems not responding.. There are vines everywhere.. Arrgh. Boom. What was that? Ashes cloud the skies... Those .. must warn the galaxy!!!

Now some technical results:
What i found is: maybe arc disruptor 1 is having a niche also in midgame, higher levels need some rebalancing - i was really trying hard to use. while the AD2 are fine weapons going for AD2 was suboptimal RP-wise, mass drivers would have been still better. and i cant imagine spending the RP for AD3.

There are some strangeness concerning allied supply - sometimes i had access to my PP through oberlus supply network and sometimes i had not.

And because i had a flaky internet connection when i was on vacation, there were the broken ship designs and i had to redo a lot of my orders. Networking/offline capabilities or at least some UI hints if disconnection happens would really be useful.

And back to the current situation:

Sorry, dont have the time to play this right and RL pressure is rising. If I didnt do some blockade stupidity I would have some pretty straightforward game while I prepare for my ever-growing ally to break the alliance. As my situation would be complicated and taking too much time i decided to find an interesting exit move.

So I hoped by gifting stuff to you oberlus all would unite in order to burn out the new superpower :twisted:
Even without my planets i think oberlus should be considered the superpower, so go get him :lol:

As the general reaction looks more like we want our local conflicts to play out I will concede. But... really... that guy needs some enemies ;)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#143 Post by Magnate »

Sneaky! I was reading that thinking "hang on, he's giving his stuff to Oberlus, so who's the superpower he's trying to help Oberlus defeat..... oh!"

Sorry to hear of RL troubles, I know that problem.

Sounds like you've been a victim of some nasty bugs. Pity my pilots are basically worthless this game.

Still nothing from Dany (who appears to have decided to attack me, which can't be strategically sensible given he's being attacked by wobbly) - so it looks like it will end up me/Hyp vs Oleg/wobbly vs Oberlus, which feels pretty balanced...

Magnate
Space Dragon

#144 Post by Magnate »

Sneaky! I was reading that thinking "hang on, he's giving his stuff to Oberlus, so who's the superpower he's trying to help Oberlus defeat..... oh!"

Sorry to hear of RL troubles, I know that problem.

Sounds like you've been a victim of some nasty bugs. Pity my pilots are basically worthless this game.

Still nothing from Dany (who appears to have decided to attack me, which can't be strategically sensible given he's being attacked by wobbly) - so it looks like it will end up me/Hyp vs Oleg/wobbly vs Oberlus, which feels pretty balanced...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#145 Post by Oberlus »

I'm scared of the two binomial alliances allying against me.

Ophiuchus, you are better at stiring up trouble than at managing your fleets! Jeez! :lol:
Also, I can't help it: you were the one delaying your promises (I have waited for 20 turns or so for that outpost ship...), and also very selfish about planets distribution. You got the best production of (probably) the whole galaxy thanks to me renouncing to that blue star-GG system in your favour. And yet you claim I was not complying to my promises. Hum! :evil: Too bad you are not alive anymore, for two reasons: Wobbly is advancing to your space, without your techs your fleet at the chokepont became rather useless; and I'd like to conquer you first!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#146 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 pm And back to the current situation:

Sorry, dont have the time to play this right and RL pressure is rising. If I didnt do some blockade stupidity I would have some pretty straightforward game while I prepare for my ever-growing ally to break the alliance. As my situation would be complicated and taking too much time i decided to find an interesting exit move.
Leaving the game because RL gets in the way is unfortunate & I can live with that. However it shouldn't be up to the 1 player no longer playing the game to decide what makes for an interesting game. I suggest for future games we have a mechanism where players can leave the game with the minimum disruption to game balance rather then pulling some stunt that causes the maximum disruption to game balance.
Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 pm So I hoped by gifting stuff to you oberlus all would unite in order to burn out the new superpower :twisted:
Except for the bit where you would of made it near impossible for the other players to catch up on the detection tech to see said superpower.

Anyway, like I said I'm happy enough to make the most of the situation as it is, but for future games, a less disruptive solution is needed.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#147 Post by Oberlus »

The pirates are blocking all my supply lines in my northern sector, and the scarabs have a sizeable fleet in my southern border... :evil:

Magnate
Space Dragon

#148 Post by Magnate »

Yeah I have to say I think it's turned out ok - Oberlus has a big stealth advantage but lacks air superiority meaning knackered supply. I know that's easy for me to say as I'm the one furthest from the mess.

But I still think that the current concede mechanic (everything is left to be conquered but doesn't vanish) is the least worst outcome of RL taking someone out of the game. The only thing I think would be better is a sort of defensive AI that just switches everything to defence focus and builds endless ships, but apparently that's not possible yet.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#149 Post by Magnate »

P.S. Can anyone confirm whether the piloting bug also applies to Reinforced Hull? Does it increase hull strength by 40, or still only by 5?

Magnate
Space Dragon

#150 Post by Magnate »

P.P.S. Can arc disruptors still hit everything (fighters, ships and planets)? Or has that been changed? I know I complained about it in the last game I played but is it still the case? Given the RP cost I hope so!