Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#121 Post by Oberlus »

At this rate we will get to turn 160 around mid september.

Guys, please, try to connect more often when not a burden.

Edit: Magnate, every evening you don't connect, 1.55 bazillion kitties die.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#122 Post by Ophiuchus »

Whoever is south east of wobbly abaddoni, the o01eg/wobbly alliance is in disarray and (a big part of) the wobbly fleet is bound in the far north.
Time for some cheap grabs!!
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#123 Post by Oberlus »

That would be Danny

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#124 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 am Whoever is south east of wobbly abaddoni, the o01eg/wobbly alliance is in disarray and (a big part of) the wobbly fleet is bound in the far north.
Shrug. Is it? One could argue a big part of your fleet is bound in the far south.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#125 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 am Whoever is south east of wobbly abaddoni, the o01eg/wobbly alliance is in disarray and (a big part of) the wobbly fleet is bound in the far north.
Shrug. Is it? One could argue a big part of your fleet is bound in the far south.
Not in this case, since I am allied with Ophiuchus and my space is quite a wide buffer to defend him from Hyperant. And since those pirates can't manage to land in my slippery planets and just keep droning around like braind-dead gadflies...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#126 Post by wobbly »

Well we shall see, at least if Magnate ever moves. C'mon Magnate the Eggalted Empire craves Eggcitement. Eggasperate us much further & we will eggpose you to more of our eggcellent egg yokes.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#127 Post by Magnate »

Sorry all, it is summer camping season with children, so one login a day is all I could manage. Back now for about ten days, and then off again on the 15th for another week of one turn a day. Normal service resumes on the 23rd.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#128 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 pm Sorry all, it is summer camping season with children, so one login a day is all I could manage. Back now for about ten days, and then off again on the 15th for another week of one turn a day. Normal service resumes on the 23rd.
Thanks for the heads up. Enjoy the camping!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#129 Post by wobbly »

Even though a rule misunderstanding is a bad way to lose ships, I still can't resist.
wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 am Shrug. Is it? One could argue a big part of your fleet is bound in the far south.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#130 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:08 am Even though a rule misunderstanding is a bad way to lose ships, I still can't resist.
wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 am Shrug. Is it? One could argue a big part of your fleet is bound in the far south.
Well if the enemy is in the south and the fleet is in the south, that is exactly where they are supposed to be. Compared to an undefended border because the fleet is somewhere else.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#131 Post by wobbly »

I'm seeing a lot of red ships turning light blue. If I see a whole heap of red planets turn light blue I don't think it'll sit well with me. It's one thing for an empire that's losing ground & about to be crushed to give its remaining planets to an ally, another for 2 of the larger empires that are both expanding to just instant merge into 1 resource pool & suddenly turn invisible because the high stealth tech empire gained all the militant/production empire's resource. I certainly hope that is not whats happening here.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#132 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:05 am I'm seeing a lot of red ships turning light blue. If I see a whole heap of red planets turn light blue I don't think it'll sit well with me. It's one thing for an empire that's losing ground & about to be crushed to give its remaining planets to an ally, another for 2 of the larger empires that are both expanding to just instant merge into 1 resource pool & suddenly turn invisible because the high stealth tech empire gained all the militant/production empire's resource. I certainly hope that is not whats happening here.
That's right, yesterday Ophiuchus PMed me and told me in a very short message he was gifting me his assets (and presumably leave the game). He didn't say the reasons, real life got in the way?

Empires conceding has always been a source of trouble:
  • At first the conceding empire assets vanished, the species going poof. This pissed off the conquering empires because it denied them the reward to their military efforts (they lost many ships in the battles, until finally winning the upper hand and being close to acquire fully populated worlds, only to see those planets become desert). This way gave advantage to empires that focused more on expansion and less in military.
  • Then the conceding empire assets didn't vanish, only the empire (government) and with it the techs. This caused the adequate/poor/hostile colonies to fade off to outposts, but the good planets would stay, with negligible planetary defense and troops (easy peasy to conquest them, really cheap). When a player conceded for personal reasons when not losing, the neighboring empires got a huge advantage (lots of free good planets and outposts and, if their are quick, many of the adequate colonies can be saved).
  • And we have this other situation: empire gifting all his assets to another one, very much OP, making it quite unfair to the other players.
  • Ideally, IMO, a conceding empire should go to an AI and respect present/inherited diplomacy status. Not gonna happen for now, it seems. And that would not help with the OP gifting issue.
Let's try to do this in a way that doesn't bother anyone. I really wish for everyone to have a nice game, having a pleasant gameplay is way more important than anything else.

I think we should be able to make some sort of division that seems fair to everyone (well, probably not to Magnate, Hyperant and Danny).

If Ophiuchus wouldn't keep playing and he just conceded, I believe o01eg and Wobbly would get his southern colonies quite fast (they already have armed ships and troopers there, they would need to take down the remaining ships first), so I would require to develop army to keep those planets for me, which is hard at the moment.
But I'd get easily his northern colonies (I have colonies with shipyards entangled within his colonies, so I need to produce one military ship and one troop ship for each planet I want for myself).

Notice that my own hidden Laenfa colonies in o01eg&Wobbly space are mine to keep for a long time (85 stealth), and will hinder/delay your supply reach towards Ophiuchus central space, so I don't think you can get there before I grab his central planets.
Also, losing the ally is a blow for me in some sense: I don't have the weapon techs that make good his ships, so getting them will cut down their damage in half, easy for you o01eg&Wobbly to defeat.

So I think the ship gifting won't be a problem for you: you just defeat them with few loses or let them flee away and regroup in a chokepoint to hinder your advance towards north (probably better to kill them).
I could give back to you your Eaxaw colonies via gifting (maybe turned into outposts as if Ophiuchus did the scorched earth strategy via Evacuation, it depends on how many troops you have in the area, is that OK?). I get no Eaxaw pilots.
But you'll have to fight for Replicon worlds, and for that you need to get the second level of detection (shouldn't be too much of an effort at this point).

Is that fair enough?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#133 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 am Let's try to do this in a way that doesn't bother anyone. I really wish for everyone to have a nice game, having a pleasant gameplay is way more important than anything else.
I agree with this. I doubt we can come up with something truly fair, but I can live with this if its a lack of time/circumstances, rather then poor sportsmanship. Is what it is. Sad to see Ophiuchus bow out. It was an impressive surge down the flank.
Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 am So I think the ship gifting won't be a problem for you: you just defeat them with few loses or let them flee away and regroup in a chokepoint to hinder your advance towards north (probably better to kill them).
This part doesn't bother me. Fighting your ships, fighting your allies ships. Same, same.
Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 am I could give back to you your Eaxaw colonies via gifting (maybe turned into outposts as if Ophiuchus did the scorched earth strategy via Evacuation, it depends on how many troops you have in the area, is that OK?). I get no Eaxaw pilots.
Work something out with o1eg. I was planning to let/help him take them back. As long as I don't have to cut supply or deal with a hidden Eawax colony at the edge of my territory I'm fine.

Regarding the Replicon colonies I'm doubtful I'd actually surge there as I currently have angry squid to deal with. I'd been planning to give it a few turns while we all consolidate. I'm annoyed that they'll all be under ash clouds now, though I'm not sure what's best here. I'm actually still at war with Danny ( look at Jabbah II if you haven't already), so whether I could invade Ophiuchus is questionable.

Things that really get to me about the situation are:

The sudden pop boost times distributed thought network in a tech race to even see your empire.
The sudden production boost to an empire who can build stealth ships I can not see or do much about. I barely repelled his fleet when I could see them & only because he mucked up.
Any supply connections you gained in a previously distributed empire.

Anyway I think we're playing so slow turnwise that I can wait for others to chime in about what they think about the situation.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#134 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:25 amThings that really get to me about the situation are:

The sudden pop boost times distributed thought network in a tech race to even see your empire.
The sudden production boost to an empire who can build stealth ships I can not see or do much about. I barely repelled his fleet when I could see them & only because he mucked up.
Any supply connections you gained in a previously distributed empire.
Supply connections: I got them already as long as Ophiuchus is still my ally. I mean, I can use the PPs of any of my colonies within Ophiuchus' supply in any of my own supplied colonies and vice versa.
So the gifting of Replicon planets to me is not changing anything.

The sudden pop/research/production boosts: indeed big boost to my empire, I'd get aprox. +50% research and +90% production in a few turns. Should I have to conquer the planets myself it would take me probably 2x or 3x the time needed for the gifting, and then a few turns more for each planet until happines gets to 5 before getting any output. Should we ask Ophiuchus to just concede and let each one grab what they can with their own resources?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#135 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:53 am The sudden pop/research/production boosts: indeed big boost to my empire, I'd get aprox. +50% research and +90% production in a few turns. Should I have to conquer the planets myself it would take me probably 2x or 3x the time needed for the gifting, and then a few turns more for each planet until happines gets to 5 before getting any output. Should we ask Ophiuchus to just concede and let each one grab what they can with their own resources?
I'd be happier with this solution. If others are fine with it. I can live with you having your allies fleet.