Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Hyperant
Space Kraken

Re: Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#166 Post by Hyperant »

The Nuk Counteroffensives

Ensign's Gazette

It would seem that Murphy's law is at play recently, as not long after the most recent publication, Commonwealth forces have decided to come out of hiding and launched a series of counteroffensives attempting to dislodge our positions which lay deep into their territory. Although they enjoyed limited success, managing to strike down a number of isolated schooners on the front lines, they pulled their forces back.

Interestingly, during the Skirmish over Nuk Beta, the Commonwealth fielded a strange new kind of ship. Whatever their ships were, they had practically no radar cross sections, allowing them to launch a crippling first blow as they fired undetected.

Meanwhile, a strange astronomical phenomenon was detected within the system of Sunna Gamma. An asteroid belt that is composed almost entirely of volcanically active asteroids which spewed so much volcanic ash that the entire asteroid belt is shrouded in ash, making space travel there hazardous as well as hiding any operations within the belt. Either this is an impossibly natural occurrence, or this is an act by a certain insidious species.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#167 Post by Oberlus »

Fuck off, pirates. First warning.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#168 Post by Magnate »

I can't turn - I connect but stuck forever in lobby. Started only now, turned ok a few hours ago (same setup). Will try once more then again in the morning (it's bedtime here). I really do not want to miss this turn.

o01eg
Programmer

#169 Post by o01eg »

Magnate wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm I can't turn - I connect but stuck forever in lobby. Started only now, turned ok a few hours ago (same setup). Will try once more then again in the morning (it's bedtime here). I really do not want to miss this turn.
Looks like the server got slow Internet connection. It works but much slower.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-14.ad50e93.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#170 Post by wobbly »

Had an expensive mishap to unintended stealth. Apparently if you mix robotic destroyers with symbiotic carriers and well the target hasn't researched active radars... All the firepower gets concentrated in the 1st round and you get wrecked. As a bonus molecular clouds are hard to spot on the game map, blend in with other effects.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#171 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:35 am IMO, if you are going Arc Disruptors for whatever reason, you must also go fighters (bombers and heavy bombers most of the time), to counter for shields and to force enemy defend against both.
MD is crap mid game, not only because of the shields but also because of the better armor: the low ratio damage per external slot means you need more ships
Yes, this is about timing and slot and armour part cost. Do you have time to upgrade your fleet to AD2 when you hit the enemy? How much time do you have before enemy shields appear in numbers? Maybe AD or fighter investment should be a surprise. I went asteroid hulls which are pretty bad for strategic combat (map speed) but the number of external slots and the hull armour ratio make a great opportunity to waste slots.

In an early attack AD fleet you probably need some anti-anti-shield; MD-fighters break even vs MD if shot down immediately against shield-3 (MD 4x(6-3) vs MDf 3x12) while they break even if they survive a bout if the enemy has no shields. MD has a small advantage because it hits the first bout where the AD also hits hard. So you probably should take MD-fighters in 99% of cases as you can upgrade those to laser...
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#172 Post by Magnate »

o01eg wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:29 pm
Magnate wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm I can't turn - I connect but stuck forever in lobby. Started only now, turned ok a few hours ago (same setup). Will try once more then again in the morning (it's bedtime here). I really do not want to miss this turn.
Looks like the server got slow Internet connection. It works but much slower.
Ok this is agonising. When camping I am running laptop on battery, tethered to my phone which is also running on battery. Both batteries ran out last night while I waited. It was quicker this morning, but I'm on wifi at a service station. I may not be able to keep up - I was assuming I could do two or three turns before my batteries ran out, but that assumption is now void. I guess I better queue up a lot of stuff in case I miss turns.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#173 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:06 am Ok this is agonising. When camping I am running laptop on battery, tethered to my phone which is also running on battery. Both batteries ran out last night while I waited. It was quicker this morning, but I'm on wifi at a service station. I may not be able to keep up - I was assuming I could do two or three turns before my batteries ran out, but that assumption is now void. I guess I better queue up a lot of stuff in case I miss turns.
Wild camping! Here in Spain free camping is forbidden and all camping facilities have electricity installations for each plot.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#174 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Wild camping! Here in Spain free camping is forbidden and all camping facilities have electricity installations for each plot.
Chuckle. I like how your definition of wild camping includes a car, laptop and is in close proximaty to a service station.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#175 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 am
Oberlus wrote: Wild camping! Here in Spain free camping is forbidden and all camping facilities have electricity installations for each plot.
Chuckle. I like how your definition of wild camping includes a car, laptop and is in close proximaty to a service station.
:lol:
Well, mind my English. I don't know the word for camping in the nature, by yourself, outside of regulated areas/campgrounds (regardless of wearing all the luxiries of modern life with you in your car/trunk or just with a knife and a loincloth).

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#176 Post by wobbly »

Hiking, bush walking, trekking, it depends.
Not sure about the loincloth bit. That must be some sort of eccentric Spanish thing to do, it doesn't sound comfortable. :lol:

Well I guess now is the time for us all to launch secret surprise attacks on Magnate while his ships & shipyards bumble about with orders that were 5 turns old.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#177 Post by Magnate »

It wasn't wild in the sense that it was accessible by road so yes you could carry lots of kit in your car. There was also running hot and cold water for showers and washing (as well as nearby rivers to swim in). But there were no flushing toilets, only composting toilets - so a bit more wild than a big campsite.

Anyway, I'm back, without missing a turn. Who are we waiting for?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#178 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm Who are we waiting for?
Maybe me. I'm in the beach until 2100 CET.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#179 Post by Magnate »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Magnate wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm Who are we waiting for?
Maybe me. I'm in the beach until 2100 CET.
At the risk of giving unsolicited advice, you might like to know that "on the beach" means you're literally sitting or standing on the sand, while "at the beach" means you have line of sight to the sand, but may be sitting at a bar or walking on the promenade or selling ice cream or doing something else nearby. HTH!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#180 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:44 am At the risk of giving unsolicited advice, you might like to know that "on the beach" means you're literally sitting or standing on the sand, while "at the beach" means you have line of sight to the sand, but may be sitting at a bar or walking on the promenade or selling ice cream or doing something else nearby. HTH!
Thank you! I was on the beach (and sometimes in the water).