Fast[er] game server?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Fast[er] game server?

#1 Post by ThinkSome »

Is there any interest in having a fast[er] game server (relative to the planned 10th game)?

My settings wishlist:
  • 2v2/3v3 teams made up of people in the same timezone (CET - CET+3)
  • fleet upkeep turned off
  • cheaper shields (as they will be in the new version)
  • more expensive hulls and cheaper parts
  • 20-30 systems per player
  • A bit slower tech progression (multiplier *2 instead of 1 as in the 9th game)
  • Monsters! Those make things more interesting
I would also like for all team members to spawn close to eachother, like 1-4 jumps away. But I think this is currently not possible.
Last edited by ThinkSome on Sat May 02, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Fast[er] game server?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I'm interested on every game!

Your wishlist:
  • I'm OK with teams if there is a pair number of players (excluding the last one sign in is an ugly option).
  • Fleet upkeep can be turned off by editing a certain file, but there is a reason for it: helping balance uneven games. Is there any reason to disable it?
  • How more expensive hulls and how cheaper ships? I'm OK with any setting, I'm asking out of curiosity.
  • Any number of systems per player are OK for me.
  • Tech multiplier was 1.0 in 9th game. Vanilla value is 2.0. Which one you want?
  • How many monsters? Again I'm OK with any value, but keep in mind they can greatly unbalance the start (some empires can't colonize shit for many turns while others have free pass).
If you make it free diplomacy but set a minimum number of allied players for victory, teams could be arranged after game start.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by ThinkSome »

• What do you mean by "excluding the last one sign in is an ugly option"?
  • How does it balance uneven games? I just don't like that the price of things changes based on how many you have. I'd prefer a fixed -PP applied per active ship or something like that.
  • I'm not sure yet, I tested 2/0.3 in SP and the hulls were overly expensive at start, while parts felt too cheap.
  • Ok, Then 2.0. It felt like things were progressing a bit too fast in the ninth game. As in, I already had SMH+arc+shields ships when first real combat occured.
  • The setting of the ninth game felt okay, it was just a bit too stacked against Magnate.
I was thinking how to generate mirror galaxy maps and have two groups of starting positions far apart from eachother. Mirroring would be easier to implement than an actual fair universe generator, and the proximity of teammembers would enable early species gifting / helping eachother out.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

You said 2v2 or 3v3. What if 5 0layers sign in?

Fleet upkeep (as well as colony upkeep) goes higher for the empires with more units (colonies), that are expected to be the ones with better economy, the ones winning. It's a rather mild placeholder for actual upkeeps, but it's better than nothing. The fixed -PP isn't implemented, not an option.

Hulls 2.0 and parts 0.75 seems already a rather steep change. To go with tech 2.0 to not disrupt too much standard PP/RP balance. Keep in mind that parts are the biggest percentage of ships cost.

So low monsters then? We could go for more if you want, I also like them.

Medium or low planet density, please?

And what galaxy shape?

And mirror galaxies are not necessary a solution, if both sides have good environments for one of the teams and bad for the others the problem is bigger.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by ThinkSome »

First come, first served! :)

Well, it is both to address the general "this doesen't feel quite right" feeling when a single simple flak cannon costs more than the hull and to address the chaffspam (i.e. build actual ships, damn it!) We can patch the game to implement anything we'd like, it's just a question of time.

I'm also fine with more monsters and I'd also like to see more varied monsters. It seems to me like the current monsters are a barrier in the first 20-30 turns or so and then cease being a problem. I miss quad death ray blackshield monsters ;D

I'd like to aim for ~10-20 planets per player, so either low density and many systems or vice versa.

Ring could be a good shape, with both teams starting at opposite ends. I still haven't tried them all in SP.

Sure, but this should be reduced. Perhaps we should even go for pre-determined species.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm Is there any interest in having a fast[er] game server (relative to the planned 10th game)?
When I first read this I assumed you were talking about a server managed by you. But just in case, can you confirm that?

ThinkSome wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:24 pm "this doesen't feel quite right" feeling when a single simple flak cannon costs more than the hull
I already wrapped my mind around "unrealistic" stuff (which at the beginning was PITA for me), so these days I only consider gameplay fun and balance.
The reason for weapons costing much more than hulls, armor and some other parts is to allow for ship designs that are more durable, because back in the day players got pissed off by losing all their ships in a single battle.

From what you say, I would suggest low density and 30 systems per player.

For 2 teams, a galaxy shape that can be nice and similar to the ring one is 2-arm spiral.

If no one else is joining, I'm waiting for our 1v1 game :twisted:

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by ThinkSome »

Now that the 1v1 is over, anyone else interested?

10-50 turns per day, CET afternoons-evenings

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#8 Post by ThinkSome »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:12 amWhen I first read this I assumed you were talking about a server managed by you. But just in case, can you confirm that?
This is for gauging interest. I guess I can host.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Oberlus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:12 amWhen I first read this I assumed you were talking about a server managed by you. But just in case, can you confirm that?
This is for gauging interest. I guess I can host.
So this has nothing to do with what you said on the chat room about you having/using servers for less than 1.5 €/month, right? And so this is about someone providing the server or you using your machine at home to host the game, right?

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#10 Post by ThinkSome »

The 1.5 eur/mo server would both be adequate and used for hosting FO from my side.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#11 Post by ThinkSome »

I got a basic Freeorion game running on the server, with setup identical to Oo1eg's and his help. Only the XMPP/email notifications are still on TODO.