Tenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

How big alliance will be allowed to win the game?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:22 pm

31%
31%
23%
8%
8%

Total votes: 13

Voker57
Space Kraken

Re: Tenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#136 Post by Voker57 »

o01eg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 am
L29Ah wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 am some known good version that has all known bugs fixed.
That is what called released version and updating server is a part of ensuring "all known bugs fixed".
Wrong, updating server blindly to master also introduces new bugs. What you do is cherry-pick bugfixes.
Team S.M.A.C.: destroying dreams of multiplayer 4x since 2017.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#137 Post by Oberlus »

Voker57 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:11 am Wrong, updating server blindly to master also introduces new bugs. What you do is cherry-pick bugfixes.
Wrong. Server rules were clearly stated from start: it is updated to weekly test builds (and by that we find bugs). As I understand it, It is a server to play for fun but also to help develop the game.

Nothing hinders you from setting up a server were only priority is players comfort.

o01eg
Programmer

#138 Post by o01eg »

Voker57 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:11 am
o01eg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 am
L29Ah wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 am some known good version that has all known bugs fixed.
That is what called released version and updating server is a part of ensuring "all known bugs fixed".
Wrong, updating server blindly to master also introduces new bugs. What you do is cherry-pick bugfixes.
Then the next game will suffer from ignored bugs. Especially because the next game won't back to master and follow release branch from start, may be even released version.

If you think those changes break balance, it's better to wrote about it to release thread right away before it become release, and we can get fixes in pre-release test build.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Voker57
Space Kraken

#139 Post by Voker57 »

o01eg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:38 am
Then the next game will suffer from ignored bugs. Especially because the next game won't back to master and follow release branch from start, may be even released version.
Longturn games are not good to test such changes anyway. If testing is needed, play blitzes with such patches.
If you think those changes break balance, it's better to wrote about it to release thread right away before it become release, and we can get fixes in pre-release test build.
I'm not sure if balance is broken fundamentally, but changing rules midgame certainly breaks things. I guess it did not occur to me that balance changes would be included in the patches being applied.
I don't really care either way since it does not affect me much, but I'd not be interested in future games with such rule.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#140 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg, I have the impression that when server is restarted the readiness status is reset (keeping the orders of players that already played their turn but not the ready status). I suggest to either save (and restore on reset) readiness status or resend the "new turn" notifications to all players.

o01eg
Programmer

#141 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:47 pm o01eg, I have the impression that when server is restarted the readiness status is reset (keeping the orders of players that already played their turn but not the ready status). I suggest to either save (and restore on reset) readiness status or resend the "new turn" notifications to all players.
When server restarted manually it saves entire game and readiness status, but if it was crashed or freezed it possible the server doesn't save latest orders and restored with periodic backup.

This week I'm with my dev machine so I'll implement saving game after orders were issued.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.

Voker57
Space Kraken

#142 Post by Voker57 »

The Daily Gormoshk, Cycle 54

The O01eg-Hyperant Pact

The tension keeps growing in the galaxy. Main collision in public interest is on Oberlus-Querens border. An Oberlus expedition force bolstered with junk hulls have attempted to capture a second (sic) black hole with a planet for Oberlus empire, but faced a battle-ready army of networked robots and retreated. Querens army pursued, but there is no telling yet how far the conflict goes.

In the east, O01eg keeps swiping up the rest of the danyspin87 planets, adding to his already formidable planet base. Division of Danyspin's empire between Hyperand and O01eg seems inevitable, likely to be peaceful. Sucks to be danyspin87, the key signer of the Hyperant ultimatum abandoning it like that.

Overall, intercepted quantum communications suggest most of the empires are focused on intensive growth, with some ships thrown in.

o01eg
Programmer

#143 Post by o01eg »

The server was greatly updated:
  • Fixed freeze caused by broken Oberlus'es connections.
  • Fixed crash caused by L29Ah.
  • Save happened after orders issued.
  • Queued building and some other info hide from non-allied empires.
  • New turn notification presence in chat.
  • Last 2 players get notification about making turn.

Voker57
Space Kraken

#144 Post by Voker57 »

The Daily Gormoshk, Cycle 58

Blackguard is being brought to justice at Walter Beta

As the galaxy celebrated the 57 cycle jubilee, valiant forces of Querens empire have dealt a heavy blow to Oberlus forces at the system Walter Beta.

Walter Beta, a border system, consists of an Etty industrial base and a Chato prison world, recently established with forcibly relocated people after enslaving Voker57's Chato population. The Chato, weary from the Oberlus yoke, and weak from Walter Beta's dim sun, still rejoiced when victorious troops of Querens landed and dispatched the Oberlus guards. Communications with mother empire have been established, and Chato have expressed their wish to stay within Querens empire and help them fight back the oppressors of their home.

The roundly beaten Oberlus' forces, after a full cycle of combat which saw their inferiority, abandoned their ships under construction and high-tailed it to safety. System remains under the Querens control and hopefully it will become a beacon of hope for Chato and the staging grounds for restoring the galactic peace.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#145 Post by Hyperant »

Operation Praying Mantis

Interstellar News Corporation

With the Crysto-League war going against the Crystalline Empire's favour, following the Third Battle of Asteria and the Battle of Point Kilo which resulted in the complete destruction of the Crystalline navy, as well as the fall of their border colony to the far north at the hands of the Vinite Cluster, the Crystalline Empire is in complete disarray. Taking advantage of the chaos, an operation codenamed Praying Mantis was devised. A Crystalline Colony ship had departed the capital and settled in the system of Hador Alpha. From the moment the colony ship settled on the barren world, the League Navy sprung into action, quickly taking control of the space above the planet and bombarding incoming security reinforcements. With the arrival of elements of the League Assault Army, it is only a matter of time before their newly founded colony is seized and placed under our control.

However, the motives on why the empire would place millions of their own citizens on an inhospitable word is currently unknown at this time, as surveillance shows many thousands of their own kind starving to death on the planet. Whatever the motive is, it is clear that the empire has ran out of options, being invaded on all fronts with industrial output falling.

With the road to the Crystalline Capital wide open to both the Supreme League and the Vinite Cluster, many have speculated that this may result in a "rush towards the capital" scenario, with both realms racing to be the first to take the resource rich world.
Last edited by Hyperant on Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Querens
Space Krill

#146 Post by Querens »

I've finally reached the moment when I can't igonre the bug( https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2987) with designes anymore. I'm not making turns until it's fixed or you help me to work around it.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#147 Post by Hyperant »

Querens wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:03 pm I've finally reached the moment when I can't igonre the bug( https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2987) with designes anymore. I'm not making turns until it's fixed or you help me to work around it.
Huh, thought i was the only one with this.

Repositioning the ui's in options fixes this, but only for the current play session, if you haven't tried that already.
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#148 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hyperant wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm
Querens wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:03 pm I've finally reached the moment when I can't igonre the bug( https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2987) with designes anymore. I'm not making turns until it's fixed or you help me to work around it.

Repositioning the ui's in options fixes this, but only for the current play session, if you haven't tried that already.
@Hyperant Are you building yourself or are you using a provided version? Could you please add that info to the issue?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#149 Post by Hyperant »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 am
Hyperant wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm

@Hyperant Are you building yourself or are you using a provided version? Could you please add that info to the issue?
I'm using the latest windows build
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#150 Post by Hyperant »

The Jua Rush

Interstellar News Corporation

Widespread Speculation has proven true!

Both the Supreme League and the Vinite Cluster has sent task forces directed to Jua Gamma, the Capital of the Crystalline Empire. Both their forces and our forces would arrive simultaneously over the capital world. In the ensuring Battle for Jua, the combined League-Vinite Fleet decimated the Crystalline defense fleet, and has taken to bombarding all controlled planets in the system.

However, it would appear that the Vinites were rash in their judgement, and had consequently sent their invasion force at the same time as the main battle force. As a result, the Crystallines focused fire on the invasion fleet, destroying approximately 2/5 of the ground force, killing many thousands of troops as well as loosing most of their heavy ground equipment. We on the other hand were wise enough to send in the invasion fleet after space superiority has been secured.

This blunder would ultimately work in our favour as the reduction in their ground invasion capabilities has left them unable to mount an effective invasion of the capital, necessitating the usage of our forces to take the capital.

With the fall of the Crystalline capital imminent, we can expect a swift and decisive end to the Crysto-League war!
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate