Tenth game on multiplayer game server - in parallel!

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Tenth game on multiplayer game server - in parallel!

#1 Post by Magnate »

Hi all,

For those interested in MP but not following other threads, I'm going to try hosting an MP game on my own server. It will take me a little effort to set up the database tables manually but once we're started it should be maintenance free. There are a couple of major differences from the games Oleg has been running:

1. BIG galaxy - 60 systems per player. So a much longer game as empires will be much bigger before they meet, and good/bad starts should matter a bit less, and endgame techs might see some action.

2. No updates - we will play the whole game on the version we start with. I don't have the patience to update and restart the server. If it crashes for any reason, I'll happily poll players about whether to update (e.g. if key bugs have been fixed). I guess if we find a game-breaking bug or exploit then we should update but I don't think there are any.

3. NO space monsters. I hate them so much, and the Low setting is still FAR FAR FAR too many. When someone codes up a Very Low setting I will use it, but at the moment Low still produces about 5-10x as many monsters as I will tolerate. (I accept that in a larger galaxy monsters are less of a problem because there are more places to explore, but still Low is too many.)

Other settings will be:

4. Normal diplomacy - so you start at war with everyone and use the in-game controls to declare ceasefire or alliance (which everyone else can see). Players free to communicate by email or this forum etc. (There may be some players who do not use this forum but I will provide their email addresses.)

5. Game ends when only allied players remain, victory shared between allies. Or maybe someone will ascend!

6. We will start with 24h turns (unless not many people sign up and we're all available for the same few hours at game start). Since empires will get pretty large later in the game, I will consider requests/polls for slowing down to 48h (say after turn 150 or so). Obviously the turn will advance as soon as the last person turns, without waiting.

7. Random races, random galaxy shape, medium everything, 1x costs etc. Vanilla settings.

Please post in this thread if you want to play, and let me know the email address you want to use for it. Someone please shout if I have forgotten any other info you need.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Tenth game on multiplayer game server - in parallel!

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Sign me in!

You already have my email, but let me now if I have to write you again to refresh it.

I'm quite happy with all your settings.

Regarding exploits, there is that thing about being able to see the galaxy seed, which allows for starting a single player game with same settings and number of empires, with super-testers enabled, to see whole galaxy from start. This PR from o01eg should fix it if the (new) game rule is set to hide the seed. It's already merged into master, so it would be great if you set up the server with current master (or next weekly test build).

swaq
Space Dragon

#3 Post by swaq »

I'd like to play as well. Are you able to do XMPP turn notifications?

[edit] I am withdrawing from this potential game. [/edit]
Last edited by swaq on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Vezzra wrote:...
Poke!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#5 Post by Magnate »

swaq wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:44 pm I'd like to play as well. Are you able to do XMPP turn notifications?
Not yet, but you will get the usual emails - new turn and if you're last to turn.

I'm not likely to set it up before the next test build which incorporates the fix for the game seed so that should be ok.

I should have said that graphs will be off, of course - assume that's normal.

o01eg
Programmer

#6 Post by o01eg »

Sounds nice. I'm in.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Magnate
Space Dragon

#7 Post by Magnate »

Just to add that the game-breaking defence regen bug is back in the current weekly test build: if you wipe out a planet's defences and no enemy ships arrive the following turn, the combat doesn't work properly and the planet regenerates a point of shields and defences so you can't land your troops. We won't be starting until this bug is fixed!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 am Just to add that the game-breaking defence regen bug is back in the current weekly test build: if you wipe out a planet's defences and no enemy ships arrive the following turn, the combat doesn't work properly and the planet regenerates a point of shields and defences so you can't land your troops. We won't be starting until this bug is fixed!
I could not replicate that bug with latest weekly test build playing vs AI. To be clear: I could invade in every turn an AI with no defence regeneration and no armed ships in the system, the combat against the planet ensued every turn.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#9 Post by Magnate »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:38 am
Magnate wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 am Just to add that the game-breaking defence regen bug is back in the current weekly test build: if you wipe out a planet's defences and no enemy ships arrive the following turn, the combat doesn't work properly and the planet regenerates a point of shields and defences so you can't land your troops. We won't be starting until this bug is fixed!
I could not replicate that bug with latest weekly test build playing vs AI. To be clear: I could invade in every turn an AI with no defence regeneration and no armed ships in the system, the combat against the planet ensued every turn.
I can guarantee that it just happened to me taking a native planet in the ninth game!

swaq
Space Dragon

#10 Post by swaq »

I have definitely been running into this in my singleplayer games as well on the current build (aa122c8).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:14 pm I can guarantee that it just happened to me taking a native planet in the ninth game!
swaq wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:17 pm I have definitely been running into this in my singleplayer games as well on the current build (aa122c8).
Hmmm...

I was using Arc Disruptors, that have no combatTargets entry in its FOCS file. Maybe that has something to do.
What weapons were you using?

swaq
Space Dragon

#12 Post by swaq »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:19 pm
Magnate wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:14 pm I can guarantee that it just happened to me taking a native planet in the ninth game!
swaq wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:17 pm I have definitely been running into this in my singleplayer games as well on the current build (aa122c8).
Hmmm...

I was using Arc Disruptors, that have no combatTargets entry in its FOCS file. Maybe that has something to do.
What weapons were you using?
Probably mass drivers/lasers/etc or maybe heavy bombers.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#13 Post by Magnate »

Mass drivers and bombers for me too.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by Oberlus »

Please, Magnate and swaq, go to this closed PR and report there your problems for Geoff to see.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate, the latest weekly test build has the hide seed patch merged. It is a game rule that must be set at game creation (dunno if its default value is the one we want).