Ninth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Ninth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#211 Post by Oberlus »

swaq wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:06 pm It isn't relevant to the happiness fix anyway because having no stockpile only breaks xenophobic malus which shouldn't apply to Exobots. But we may want to reconsider how stockpile works on NO_STOCKPILE species anyway for the sake of stockpile itself.
I see...
There is NO_DEFENSE_TROOPS that allows for the flat bonuses to kick in.
And NO_OFFENSE_TROOPS that does not allow for any form of offensive troops regardless of techs.
I thought that NO_STOCKPILE is intended for no stockpile at all regardless of stockpile techs, as with NO_OFFENSE_TROOPS. But maybe it could be done similar to NO_DEFFENSE_TROOPS and allow for some (flat?) bonuses that does not require stockpile planetary focus.

swaq
Space Dragon

#212 Post by swaq »

The Pedia does not mention the No Stockpile trait for Exobots. That needs to be fixed as well.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#213 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:51 pm
  • Planet shield regeneration takes places (at least 1, plus any effect enabled by researched techs).
  • Combat resolution (planets would always have at least 1 shield and so be targettable in this turn).
  • Invasion resoluton (since combat triggered for sure, as long as the troop ships were not destroyed and the planet lost its shields during combat, ground battle would take place).
Seems like this would rely on a planet being randomly targeted, and being attacked enough to be re-disabled, in addition to being targetable...

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#214 Post by Ophiuchus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:46 pm Hm not sure. Starting tech PRO_PREDICTIVE_STOCKPILING provides 1 MaxStockpile to every planet, which would be enough. But NO_STOCKPILE species also do not have the STANDARD_STOCKPILE macro, which does the stockpile increase.

That maybe should be changed. [...]
Oberlus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 pm You're probably right, but it isn't relevant anymore because the stockpile hack ha's been changed with the new FOCS LastTurnColonized keyword.
Ah I was under the impression that for your game a recompile is out of the question.
swaq wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:06 pm It isn't relevant to the happiness fix anyway because having no stockpile only breaks xenophobic malus which shouldn't apply to Exobots.
My default folder sais otherwise - I think you are wrong about the happiness fix. Without STANDARD_STOCKPILE or FORCE_ENERGY_STRC there is no source of Stockpile increase.

Second, I do not know what you refer to when you write about breaking the xenophobic malus.
swaq wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:06 pm But we may want to reconsider how stockpile works on NO_STOCKPILE species anyway for the sake of stockpile itself.
Yes. I think the implementation is not consistent for no stockpile species. If we do not want to change balance, in NO_STOCKPILE we should MaxStockpile to zero. If nobody has a better idea and you guys are willing to playtest I can do an implementation.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#215 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:11 pm And NO_OFFENSE_TROOPS that does not allow for any form of offensive troops regardless of techs.
I thought that NO_STOCKPILE is intended for no stockpile at all regardless of stockpile techs, as with NO_OFFENSE_TROOPS.
We can leave it like that.
Oberlus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:11 pm But maybe it could be done similar to NO_DEFFENSE_TROOPS and allow for some (flat?) bonuses that does not require stockpile planetary focus.
I think the effects which use stockpile focus should not check for NO_STOCKPILE, but a NO_STOCKPILE focus probably should not have access to stockpile focus.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#216 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:05 amSo... Make planets regenerate one shield regardless of techs and lastturncombat status? For outposts to trigger combat every turn.
Isn't the problem that planets are regenerating shields or defense when they shouldn't?
I think it is good that defenses and shields regenerate. I am not sure when troops should regenerate.

We could use combatTargets to also attack defenseless planets on a secondary tier. So the main ship weapons would be like:

Code: Select all

combatTargets = And [
        [[COMBAT_TARGETS_VISIBLE_ENEMY]]
        OrderedAlternativesOf [
            Or [
              [[COMBAT_TARGETS_NOT_DESTROYED_SHIP]]
              [[COMBAT_TARGETS_PLANET_WITH_DEFENSE]]
            ]
        ]
        Planet
    ]

Edit: moved the post to the relevant thread

swaq
Space Dragon

#217 Post by swaq »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:58 pm
swaq wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:06 pm It isn't relevant to the happiness fix anyway because having no stockpile only breaks xenophobic malus which shouldn't apply to Exobots.
My default folder sais otherwise - I think you are wrong about the happiness fix. Without STANDARD_STOCKPILE or FORCE_ENERGY_STRC there is no source of Stockpile increase.

Second, I do not know what you refer to when you write about breaking the xenophobic malus.
What I'm saying is that even if stockpile stays at 0 the happiness fix still works (the effect just runs every turn without changing happiness due to the max() function).

Xenophobic species cause/get a penalty to happiness. If the stockpile hack fails the effect runs every turn and prevents happiness from going below the colony starting values.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#218 Post by Oberlus »

I think we should try the PR Ophiuchus posted in here.

Edit: and give feedback so that it gets merged before next weekly test build.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#219 Post by ThinkSome »

I am disappointed, we did 8 turns on last sunday! Wake up, people! :roll:

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#220 Post by Ophiuchus »

ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:38 pm I am disappointed, we did 8 turns on last sunday! Wake up, people! :roll:
Please playtest PR-2879

o01eg
Programmer

#221 Post by o01eg »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 am
ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:38 pm I am disappointed, we did 8 turns on last sunday! Wake up, people! :roll:
Please playtest PR-2879
It was merged. I can apply it anytime or wait for next weekly test build supposed to be tomorrow.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#222 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:06 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 am Please playtest PR-2879
It was merged. I can apply it anytime or wait for next weekly test build supposed to be tomorrow.
Wait for tomorrow, easier for everyone I guess.

swaq
Space Dragon

#223 Post by swaq »

Cycle 42 - The answer to life, the universe, and everything

The Divided Kingdom is uncharacteristically harmonious. Civil war is now far behind us and the economy is soaring. All we had to do was be a little tolerant of immigrants!

The galaxy has been surprisingly quiet. Maybe too quiet. We'd like to think that means everyone is happy with what they have and won't take on the mantle of imperialism. But reality is likely to be harsh. There have already been reports of scouts going mysteriously missing...

Magnate
Space Dragon

#224 Post by Magnate »

IMO evacuation is too quick. It takes a minimum of eight turns to build a colony, it should take more than one to evacuate. Oberlus has twice evacuated his worlds in a single turn.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#225 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 pm IMO evacuation is too quick. It takes a minimum of eight turns to build a colony, it should take more than one to evacuate. Oberlus has twice evacuated his worlds in a single turn.
Not at all. That colony had only 1.5 population aprox. when I build the evacuation.
Look how I could not evacuate in time the 57 because it had high population.