Eighth game on the multiplayer slow game server (0.4.9 KISS targets hard)

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Eighth game on the multiplayer slow game server (0.4.9 KISS targets hard)

#136 Post by Ophiuchus »

As it looks we are entering final showdown phase soon. Would you guys be willing to try some more changes in the running game so I get some more fast feedback?

We did a pass on species pilot bonus for fighters, unifying i (nerfing bombers a bit, nerfing ultimate piloting). And added heavy bombers which target ships and planets, it has a 50PP 1 fighter hangar part, a normal launch bay can launch two of these as usual, base damage and tech upgrades are double the bomber part, the cost is like two bomber parts plus a launch bay so it has the same damage/PP as Fighter/Bomber in standard launch patterns. Species bonus is the same for all Heavy&Bombers & Fighters (-1/+0/+1/2/+3), so total damage bonus is less for heavier fighters.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#137 Post by Oberlus »

I don't think you'll have much time to test the heavy fighter, empires already have nice cannon fleets to flat out any planet.
And the nerf to pilot bonus to fighters is pretty solid and direct, doesn't seem to require playtesting: fighters benefit from each pilots skill as:
Fighter: +3, or +0.5 tech levels, or +25% base damage.
Bomber: +2 , or +0.33 tech levels, or +16.7% base damage.
Heavy: +1, or +0.17 tech levels, or +8.3% base damage.

For comparison, cannons get for each pilot level +1 tech refinement or +33% of base damage.

As you said, this makes fighters more interesting to bad pilot species (whose name I would change for weapons or gunners better than pilots) and less interesting to good pilot species, if nothing else to be considered.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#138 Post by Oberlus »

- In fact, I'm looking forward to it.
- Really? Where is your warring spirit, Rishlig?!
- ¡¡¡RIGHT HERE, YOU MORON!!! Did you want to live forever?! I rather die crushing those junktards than fearing death and looking for a hole to hide. There won't be a chance to rearm ourselves if we flee away. We'll be slaves. This is the best way to die. Serah will get me into his army and make one of her paladins.
- Meh... I wasn't talking about survive, I was talking about definitive death of our species.
- Do you see any way to keep your freedom and your life simultneously? Good luck with that, maybe you are a worm indeed. I couldn't be proud of belonging to a race that chooses subjugation and subsistence over honour and freedom. Long live the Death.
- Alright, alright, you jerk, but tell me one thing: do you think that working yourself to die in this field of dirty will you grant all that Serah's bullshit? You are dying without killing any junktard, you just carry dirty back and forth, you could be happy if your death gets us a fraction of a new ship, probably right after our shipyard have been sized by the enemies and the ship will not shoot a...

THUMP! He didn't end his sentence. Rishlig's pickaxe buried into the skull up to the handle.

- What a shame of an Eaxaw... At least I've killed something, a heretic coward. --Rishlig looks up to the ominous sky, free of enemy ships since yesterday's bloodshed-- Now back to work, we have to prepare the next batch of ships for our next visitors --smiles.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#139 Post by Oberlus »

I wonder what is o01eg's strategy about me and Hyperant.
He has conquered some planets (outposts), but he is clearly not making an effort to grab some Eaxaw for his pilots.
He is watching all battles Hyperant is not-winning in my HW without intervention. He is next to it, so he could.
o01eg, I guess you are letting Hyperant dinamite his armies while you pile up new SGs and then you'll conquer everything?

Hyperant, you know I told you, around turn 40. Nuts! (this is an inner joke between us).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#140 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:01 am Fighter: +3, or +0.5 tech levels, or +25% base damage.
Bomber: +2 , or +0.33 tech levels, or +16.7% base damage.
Heavy: +1, or +0.17 tech levels, or +8.3% base damage.

For comparison, cannons get for each pilot level +1 tech refinement or +33% of base damage.
This relative comparison is not very helpful but misleading. one tech level for a ship weapon is an advancement (roughly same level of RP cost), one tech level for a fighter represents a whole tier of advancement (one order of magnitude higher RP cost). Bombers and Lasers get +2 per pilot level. Fighters and Plasma get +3 per pilot level. As we are already at plasma level, Fighters and ship weapons get the same bonus from piloting skill.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#141 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 pmone tech level for a ship weapon is an advancement (roughly same level of RP cost), one tech level for a fighter represents a whole tier of advancement (one order of magnitude higher RP cost). Bombers and Lasers get +2 per pilot level. Fighters and Plasma get +3 per pilot level. As we are already at plasma level, Fighters and ship weapons get the same bonus from piloting skill.
And Heavy bombers get +1 like MD. But that is also misleading. What really counts is the relative increase over base damage, which is the same for cannons regardless of tier and depends on tier for fighters. Also the relative cost of each weapons counts (fighter's don't increase with tier).

These increase ratios are how much cheaper is damage with the upgrade (either tech refinement within same tier, tech/tier upgrade or pilot skill level):
Increase of Damage/PP
Cannon refinements level 33.00%
Cannon pilot level 33.00%
MD1 to L1 11.11%
MD4 to L4 22.22%
L1 to P1 35.00%
L4 to P4 22.73%
P1 to DR1 11.11%
P4 to DR4 11.11%
F1 to F2 50.00%
F2 to F3 33.33%
F3 to F4 25.00%
Fighter1 pilot level 25.00%
Fighter2 pilot level 16.67%
Fighter3 pilot level 12.50%
Fighter4 pilot level 10.00%
Bomber1 pilot level 16.67%
Bomber2 pilot level 11.11%
Bomber3 pilot level 8.33%
Bomber4 pilot level 6.67%
Heavy1 pilot level 8.33%
Heavy2 pilot level 5.56%
Heavy3 pilot level 4.17%
Heavy4 pilot level 3.33%

For what is worth, pilot skill benefit for fighters in general is smaller than for cannons, and less so the higher the tier, and less so the heavier the fighter, to a point where Bombers and specially Heavy Bombers will be good weapons for bad pilots, specially late game.That's my conclusion at least.

Edit: the values for cannon tier upgrades does not account for the increase of weapon cost (that's an error).

Edit2: values for cannon corrected.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#142 Post by Hyperant »

The Daily Article

Uncivilization

Despite the Republic's best efforts to bring order and stability to the Wormian Capital, the vile creatures refuse our generous efforts in bringing prosperity to their people. It seems they rather die to some false idol than to live actual productive lives. Even in defeat the worms act like uncivilized savages. If they wish to exhaust themselves to death in the most unworthy of ways, then so be it.

In other interstellar arenas, the two remaining superpowers within the known galaxy have been fighting a massive but unseen from our eyes war. There is much division in the Parliament on which side to support, the Theocratic humanoids to the northern sector, or the aquatic beings to the eastern sector, while there is little talk on being neutral in their affairs. Whatever course of action the Serene President will decide to take, it will have widespread implications across the Republic already feeling the effects of prolonged war exhaustion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNKNOWN SYSTEM

UNKNOWN INSTALLATION

ROOM 13

"Are you sure this being would be willing to comply with us?", questioned [REDACTED].

"Once he hears what has been happening while he was out, i will have no doubts on that, replied [REDACTED]. The two men discussed their subject lying on the medical bed, hooked up to numerous pumping beeping machines. "That is, if he even makes it out of this alive. We were lucky to have came in time to pull him out of that deceased biological vessel. I swear, these battles over that planet had been going nowhere. Did you hear the Serene President announce on the news that the Military Command will be letting those worms murder each other to extinction?", wondered [REDACTED]. "Yeah, what a darn shame. Its a good thing we have a fine specimen right in front of us. If he is non-compliant, then we have all the means to make him compliant, but lets worry about that later, shall we head to the observation deck? I can't stand the scent of this stale air.", said [REDACTED]. The other fellow nods, and the pair heads out of the room, having put another person to watch over the specimen.

As they walk outside of [REDACTED] to the observation deck, they pass by numerous transparent empty and half empty tanks filled with an unknown substance, large enough to hold almost any specimen. On the top of them are strange devices hooked up to even stranger devices.

"Soon, our project will be able to accomplish the impossible"
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

swaq
Space Dragon

#143 Post by swaq »

Hyperant wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 pm In other interstellar arenas, the two remaining superpowers within the known galaxy have been fighting a massive but unseen from our eyes war. There is much division in the Parliament on which side to support, the Theocratic humanoids to the northern sector, or the aquatic beings to the eastern sector, while there is little talk on being neutral in their affairs. Whatever course of action the Serene President will decide to take, it will have widespread implications across the Republic already feeling the effects of prolonged war exhaustion.
o01eg just got Death Lasers and has had a black hole power generator for some time. I think he is the bigger threat. I still haven't been able to secure Sly for colonization either.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#144 Post by Hyperant »

The Daily Article

Long road ahead

Early this morning, Republican troopers had landed on Ex Delta, former capital of the late Wormian realm. Surveys launched by the armed forces show a destitute and ruined world, littered with wormian corpses and ruins. Practically the entire population had been wiped out, murdered by their own government in a desperate attempt to survive against overwhelming odds but to no avail. While their surface infrastructure was all but obliterated, their orbital hardware has survived mostly intact, giving the planet some utility. However at this time, it can not be operated until a sizable population on the surface has been established to act as a ground team to direct all orbital efforts.

Meanwhile on other fronts, ambassadors have been sent to the two current Galactical superpowers in an effort to decide which course of action would be best, and to dictate which side should be supported in their ongoing conflict. There has been no comment at this time on which side will be supported, or if sides would even be taken at all.

Finally on the home front, the Serene President had passed the Safeguard the Press Act, giving the government the powers and right to decide which kind of press would be suited for release to the public. This act will combat misinformation and assist in bolstering national unity and security, something that is vital at this point in time. Results had already been shown when Celphor, CEO of one of the largest biomanufacturing megacorporations in the Republic and one of the more known political figures, known for his opposition to the Serene President's decrees, had been arrested this morning on violating the stated act. This shows that not even money and power can save one from getting away with arguably, acts of treason.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#145 Post by Oberlus »

The ghosts of the wormians whispers throughout the galaxy "kill, die, kill, die".

swaq
Space Dragon

#146 Post by swaq »

Stalemate continues for 10th cycle as enemy carriers with over 100 fighters have gathered at Airy Beta. These squid creatures are adamant that they don't need the love of God.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#147 Post by Oberlus »

The one that conquers more Hyperant's planets faster wins :twisted:

o01eg
Programmer

#148 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm The one that conquers more Hyperant's planets faster wins :twisted:
In me vs Hyperant+swaq+Ophiuchus situation it's hard to race for the Hyperant's planets :o
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#149 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:49 am In me vs Hyperant+swaq+Ophiuchus situation it's hard to race for the Hyperant's planets :o
It sucks to play a no-diplomacy game so full of diplomacy and unofficial alliances :twisted:

Whatever you do, guys, it sucks to be out of the game, so try to die quickly, please.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#150 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:10 am
o01eg wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:49 am In me vs Hyperant+swaq+Ophiuchus situation it's hard to race for the Hyperant's planets :o
It sucks to play a no-diplomacy game so full of diplomacy and unofficial alliances :twisted:

Whatever you do, guys, it sucks to be out of the game, so try to die quickly, please.
You could take over my Sly. I do not think I can learn much from this game any more. And while I would like to see how my empire plays out, current situations because of Corona are seriously stressing my time budget.