Thoughtful development, Turns 2..13

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Message
Author
Uriuk
Pupating Mass
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Re: Two fractions

#61 Post by Uriuk »

Uriuk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37 am unable to prepare
I need to think out a way to calculate bonuses of planets via spreadsheet tables, something like this:
modifiers.gif
modifiers.gif (41.85 KiB) Viewed 534 times
UPD: I added more pages:
1) One for flat bonuses
2) One for star Types (because some bonuses depend on star type)
3) List of Star systems (to store types of specific stars)
4) List of planet Types (small..huge)
5) List of Planets (to store planet sizes, linked star name, turn of invasion end/development start)

I am trying to implement "Don't Repeat Yourself (DRY)" principle to formulas and data in the spreadsheet.
Attachments
Turn_8_Plan_v2.ods
(19.72 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Turn_8_Plan_Base.ods
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#62 Post by defaultuser »

Analyzing planets on a cost-benefit basis is somewhat situational. As an example, that native world you discovered. At this point, you can't do anything with it because you don't have the resources. Against a Moderate-Tech planet, you need a fairly powerful warship. That Frigate won't cut it. The Hhoh population aren't as valuable to you as they would be to other species. That has to be factored in.

Uriuk
Pupating Mass
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#63 Post by Uriuk »

defaultuser wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:21 am Analyzing planets on a cost-benefit basis is somewhat situational. As an example, that native world you discovered. At this point, you can't do anything with it because you don't have the resources. Against a Moderate-Tech planet, you need a fairly powerful warship. That Frigate won't cut it. The Hhoh population aren't as valuable to you as they would be to other species. That has to be factored in.
My thoughts are different:
1) One frigate is enough to conquer this planet (even without researching better Mass Drivers), If fleet commander is smart
2) I was able to invade it at turn 25 (if went full production at turn 7), now 26 because i sleeped one turn, and turn 32 later
3) Hhoh are good pilots (+1)
4) They have better detection range than Etties, which is useful for radar scout ships
5) They live close to asteroids and this open the way of more cheap asteroid hulls
6) Second race doubles the probability of finding suitable planets
7) Hhohs have no penalty for production, which compensate weakness of Etties

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#64 Post by Oberlus »

Uriuk wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 am 1) One frigate is enough to conquer this planet (even without researching better Mass Drivers), If fleet commander is smart
Please, take pictures of it. I want to see the smart commander dodging the planetary defenses shots.

Uriuk
Pupating Mass
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#65 Post by Uriuk »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:10 am Please, take pictures of it
Sure.
I'm going to use knowledge of star wars psychology, proper timing and some logical bugs in the game. Stay tuned.
Coming soon (at summer or fall 2020).

defaultuser
Juggernaut
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#66 Post by defaultuser »

Uriuk wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 am 1) One frigate is enough to conquer this planet (even without researching better Mass Drivers), If fleet commander is smart
Uh, no. The "smarts" of the fleet commander don't factor in. You need a certain number of points of damage to neutralize the planetary shields and weapons before taking too much damage. A frigate can't do it.

This is the kind of weird stuff with you that makes no sense. You claim to want to do all this math and stats, then you throw in stuff that isn't correct about the game.

The other stuff you mention is correct to a degree, but ignored what I said. I did NOT say that Hhoh were not valuable at all. Hhoh are LESS valuable to Etty than they would be to others. That sort of thing needs to factor into decisions on the value of native worlds, especially defended ones.

Uriuk
Pupating Mass
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#67 Post by Uriuk »

defaultuser wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:21 am A frigate can't do it.
Note, that I told about fleet commander, not just a ship captain.

defaultuser
Juggernaut
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#68 Post by defaultuser »

Uriuk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 am
defaultuser wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:21 am A frigate can't do it.
Note, that I told about fleet commander, not just a ship captain.
What are you talking about? Specifically how will a frigate prevail in this situation?

Uriuk
Pupating Mass
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#69 Post by Uriuk »

defaultuser wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:00 am Specifically how will a frigate prevail in this situation?
I will disclose calculations and actual results at the time of attack. The dates was also announced above (summer or fall 2020). Right now I want to keep it in secret from enemy forces.

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#70 Post by Oberlus »

Until then, I wouldn't feed the troll. Its slow metabolism would make it fat.

defaultuser
Juggernaut
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#71 Post by defaultuser »

I'm sure we'll all be fascinated when the time doesn't come.

Uriuk
Pupating Mass
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#72 Post by Uriuk »

I will just add three scouts at the first turn of attack to accompany frigate. Planetary defense will shot them and damage frigate, but frigate will fire in return and reduce planetary attack. Next turn troopships will arrive, but planetary attack will not be able to shoot them down because planetary attack was weakened already. And troopships will invade successfully. And frigate will be repaired later.

This will work, because for Frigate Ms
For Species: Generic
Total Damage: 3
For Species: Etty
Total Damage: 4

4 Damage * 3 Rounds > 10 Defense
Etty rules!

Hull strength of frigate is 16 and this is more than 10 points of planetary attack (will survive one hit).

The probability of 2 hits at the first turn of attack needs to be calculated, but it is acceptably low. At the second turn of attack planet will fire at troopships with power 8. The frigate will not be touched. And troopships have 10 points of hull strength which is more than 8 points of remaining planetary attack.

Now Oberlus owe apologising to me, for declaring me troll. I redirect my previously existing debt to Ophiuchus to Oberlus. So now Oberlus owe apology to Ophiuchus instead of me, and I owe nothing.
Last edited by Uriuk on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#73 Post by Oberlus »

I owe you nothing, IMO. You are having some fun, others can do the same.

You are not killing the planet with a frig, but with a fleet of 4 ships. BTW, doesn't have shields that planet?

Uriuk
Pupating Mass
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#74 Post by Uriuk »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 am BTW, doesn't have shields that planet?
Yes, the planet have shield with 10 points. But I calculated it. 10 points of my frigate's attack at the first turn will remove the shield of the planet, 2 more points of frigate's attack will reduce the amount of planet's weapons.
At the second turn remaining planet's attack points will be destroyed, but this is unimportant, because troopships will already deploy troops.
Oberlus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 am You are not killing the planet with a frig, but with a fleet of 4 ships.
No, with two fleets of 10 ships in total (+6 Troopships to distribute damage of second turn and to invade). That's why I told about Fleet commander, not ship captain.

But initial statement was that it's impossible to use Frigate and it is necessary to build more strong ship. Here it is:
defaultuser wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:21 am At this point, you can't do anything with it because you don't have the resources. Against a Moderate-Tech planet, you need a fairly powerful warship. That Frigate won't cut it.
Oberlus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 am I owe you nothing, IMO.
I owe nothing to Ophiuchus, IMO. But you do, IMO.

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Thoughtful development, Turns 2..8

#75 Post by Oberlus »

Uriuk wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:54 am I owe nothing to Ophiuchus, IMO. But you do, IMO.
I agree I'm in debt with Ophiuchus. Right know I'm enjoying the new targetting system implemented by him. I also owe to all the other developers, past and present.

Post Reply