How do I use up stockpile?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

How do I use up stockpile?

#1 Post by Magnate »

Hi all,

I find in the late game I always have many k stockpile, and a maximum usage of about 50/turn, even with all the stockpiling techs researched (Void Prediction is the last, right?). So how do I increase my stockpile usage? Do I need to use stockpiling focus?? I thought that was for adding to stockpile, not using it up? Is there something I'm missing? It's going to take me 400 turns to use my stockpile at this rate ....

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: How do I use up stockpile?

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

You use stockpile by building stuff. If you cannot pay for the project by production, PP from stockpile are used.

But you can not use as many stockpile PP per turn as you want, there is an extraction limit. Those stockpile values you get by e.g. setting stockpile focus increase the extraction maximum.

And use the entanglement factory and the design academies.

Unused PP go into the stockpile instead of being wasted and you can also transfer PP manually by building piles of the stockpile transfer project. But thats not what you currently want.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Good/Great stockpiling species can do very good without stockpile focus with some techs. Average species need much more comitment (all techs, all buildings, several planets focused on stockpile).

I guess it is a bit counter-intuitive that focusing on "stockpiling" (which means to store, right? Mind my English) is actually de-stockpiling.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#4 Post by alleryn »

I think the best idea is to try not to generate stockpile in the first place (instead, use all your production when possible). Build shipyards "everywhere" if necessary to keep prodcution going even when a system gets cut off from supply.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#5 Post by Magnate »

Ok thanks, that's my mistake - haven't built the buildings. Cheers. Also yes it is weird that stockpiling focus is de-stockpiling. Ho hum.

swaq
Space Dragon

#6 Post by swaq »

Magnate wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:48 pm Also yes it is weird that stockpiling focus is de-stockpiling.
I also had no idea this was the case. I've never used that focus.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:11 pm I guess it is a bit counter-intuitive that focusing on "stockpiling" (which means to store, right? Mind my English) is actually de-stockpiling.
How about some renaming? I can think of an improvement: things which increase the use limit enhance stockpile distribution:

In Top Panel:
Top Panel Headline: Imperial Stockpile --> Imperial Stockpile Service
Prod queue assignments label: Stockpile Use
Empire use meter label: Stockpile Use Limit
(Predicted) Empire meter label: (Next turn) Stockpile

Sidepanel:
Planet (Max) Meter Label: Stockpile --> (Max) Stockpile Distribution
Focus Label: Focus: Stockpile --> Stockpile Distribution
SPECIES XXX_Effect Label: SPECIES XXX Stockpiling --> SPECIES XXX Stockpile Distribution

Production Queue:
Empire meter label: Stockpiled Points
Empire use meter label:: Maximum Use
Prod queue assignments label: Stockpile Use

Encyclopedia:
Empire use meter label: Stockpile
Tech Predictive Stockpiling
Tech Generic Supplies
Tech Interstellar Entanglement Factory
Building Interstellar Entanglement Center
Tech Transcendent Design
Building Species InterDesign Academy
Tech Void Prediction

levels of stockpiling abilities -> levels of stockpile distribution abilities

Ideas and stringtable changes would be great.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 amHow about some renaming?
This would be indeed very welcome.
Your idea about changing "stockpile" for "stockpile distribution" sounds sensible.
However I'll refrain from making concrete suggestions due to my lack of English, and because I don't like the "stockpile" name from the very beginning. Makes no sense to me. I still think of this mechanic as some kind of smuggling, makes more sense when you are taking resources to a blockaded system or through an enemy empire's supply chain.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#9 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:24 amI still think of this mechanic as some kind of smuggling, makes more sense when you are taking resources to a blockaded system or through an enemy empire's supply chain.
I would be fine with smuggling or something else if it fits better. But it means the fluff needs to be rewritten completely. You could make a suggestion how that would look like based on my previous post.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:43 am I would be fine with smuggling or something else if it fits better. But it means the fluff needs to be rewritten completely. You could make a suggestion how that would look like based on my previous post.
Yes, that would be some work, not necessarily easy. I think the "stockpile distribution" change is easier and faster (at least for now). But I take note.

swaq
Space Dragon

#11 Post by swaq »

I think the word stockpile is fine as it is generated by surplus production. The word smuggle is usually used in the context of breaking the law, which I think would be a little weird here. Also, blockades are not the only reason to use stockpile. You may want to use production at a remote colony that is outside of your supply lines, for example (very common when playing Sly).

Distribution is a good word to describe stockpile use.