Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Message
Author
User avatar
alleryn
Dyson Forest
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#376 Post by alleryn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:32 am

JonCST wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:25 am
Winds have increased to Tropical Storm level. Supposed to reach Hurricane level in next few hours.

Hopefully center should be past by noon local time (now + 14 hours) and back to just passing bands.

J.
Good luck! I was trying to think of something useful/constructive to say, but all i can think of is "stay away from flying debris", which doesn't really seem too useful insofar as advice goes, so i'll just stick with "Good luck!".

User avatar
JonCST
Pupating Mass
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 am

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#377 Post by JonCST » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Status: safe, sound, powerless...

Storm center well past. Winds gusting to Tropical Storm. No significant damage to property. Animals and people fine (3 humans, 6 cats, 7 horses).

Power off 12 hours ago. No power = no cable, so cellphone only.

Guessing 12-24 hrs for power restoration. No game play til then..

Thanks for concern and good wishes.

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#378 Post by Oberlus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 am

I'm glad JonCST is safe and sound and that his power should be around the corner.
Now I'm worried about Magnate, are you OK? you haven't connected for three days now.
Pleasepleaseplease, join fifth multiplayer slow game!

o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#379 Post by o01eg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 am

Oberlus wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 am
I'm glad JonCST is safe and sound and that his power should be around the corner.
Now I'm worried about Magnate, are you OK? you haven't connected for three days now.
I've reset timeout counter to wait for him more time.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-8.3, boost-1.65.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io. Version 2019-10-13.49f7896.
Donates are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#380 Post by Oberlus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am

o01eg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 am
I've reset timeout counter to wait for him more time.
Could it be that he missed the "next turn started" email? Would it be a good idea to send remainder emails when turn time is expiring or you are the last player to issue your orders in that turn?
Pleasepleaseplease, join fifth multiplayer slow game!

o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#381 Post by o01eg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 am

Oberlus wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am
o01eg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 am
I've reset timeout counter to wait for him more time.
Could it be that he missed the "next turn started" email? Would it be a good idea to send remainder emails when turn time is expiring or you are the last player to issue your orders in that turn?
Even if he missed notification from the server, he can at least read forum but he wasn't at forum three days as well.

Yes, I'm going to add "last player" notification next game.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-8.3, boost-1.65.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io. Version 2019-10-13.49f7896.
Donates are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
swaq
Space Floater
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#382 Post by swaq » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

o01eg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 am
Yes, I'm going to add "last player" notification next game.
Can I sign up to participate in the next game?

User avatar
alleryn
Dyson Forest
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#383 Post by alleryn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 pm

swaq wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm
Can I sign up to participate in the next game?
I would also like to sign up. o01eg, are we supposed to message you? What info do you need, an email address? (From browsing the thread it sounds like you all are using email now rather than xmpp? (Not that i have an xmpp client installed or have ever used xmpp, but i don't mind learning if that's preferred).)

o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#384 Post by o01eg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:58 pm

swaq wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm
o01eg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 am
Yes, I'm going to add "last player" notification next game.
Can I sign up to participate in the next game?
Yes of course.
alleryn wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 pm
swaq wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm
Can I sign up to participate in the next game?
I would also like to sign up. o01eg, are we supposed to message you? What info do you need, an email address? (From browsing the thread it sounds like you all are using email now rather than xmpp? (Not that i have an xmpp client installed or have ever used xmpp, but i don't mind learning if that's preferred).)
Yes, there are still only "PM" interface.

I use both for test purposes. For the game I need login-player name if it differs from the forum's one, and e-mail or xmpp address.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-8.3, boost-1.65.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io. Version 2019-10-13.49f7896.
Donates are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#385 Post by Oberlus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am

I'm looking forward for the next game with alleryn and swaq on board.

Regarding current game, it's been more than 5 days without a turn due to Magnate's absence without notice. I'm sad. I'm spoiled.
I sent a PM here in the forum two days ago, unresponded.
Pleasepleaseplease, join fifth multiplayer slow game!

User avatar
JonCST
Pupating Mass
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 am

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#386 Post by JonCST » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Oberlus wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am

[...] Regarding current game, it's been more than 5 days without a turn due to Magnate's absence without notice.
In the Diplomacy world, when a player went AWOL, we would usually try to find a replacement player.

Sometimes this didn't go well (in the opinion of the players upset by radical changes in policies and alliances). But in any case it allowed completion of the game.

Should we consider allowing replacements in FO multiplayer games?

In Diplomacy the alternative was "civil disorder": all units held in place, no new units were built, and the other players continued without the missing one. This allowed for the missing player to return, though of course at a disadvantage if the missed many deadlines.

Jon

o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#387 Post by o01eg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:39 pm

JonCST wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm
Oberlus wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am

[...] Regarding current game, it's been more than 5 days without a turn due to Magnate's absence without notice.
In the Diplomacy world, when a player went AWOL, we would usually try to find a replacement player.

Sometimes this didn't go well (in the opinion of the players upset by radical changes in policies and alliances). But in any case it allowed completion of the game.

Should we consider allowing replacements in FO multiplayer games?

In Diplomacy the alternative was "civil disorder": all units held in place, no new units were built, and the other players continued without the missing one. This allowed for the missing player to return, though of course at a disadvantage if the missed many deadlines.

Jon
Yes, I'm going to implement "delegation" support like in FreeCiv Longturn, but it still requires missing player to point his delegate. Actually I didn't even made a moderation access to do something.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-8.3, boost-1.65.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io. Version 2019-10-13.49f7896.
Donates are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

Magnate
Space Kraken
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#388 Post by Magnate » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm really sorry folks - I did my last turn (all the orders and moves were still showing on my client when I reconnected) - but obviously somehow I disconnected without the turn uploading properly. I've been waiting for the new turn email and assuming that someone else was delayed. I've been really busy at work so haven't checked the forum. So sorry - when I got the private message I assumed it was diplomacy and thought I'd read it when the new turn came. It's only O01eg emailing me direct today that made me log in and check and find my turn hadn't uploaded.

Really sorry folks.

User avatar
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#389 Post by Oberlus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Magnate wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 pm
I've been waiting for the new turn email and assuming that someone else was delayed.
I knew it!
Pleasepleaseplease, join fifth multiplayer slow game!

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12456
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#390 Post by Geoff the Medio » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:59 am

Magnate wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 pm
somehow I disconnected without the turn uploading properly.
Is some (additional?) in-game "orders received" confirmation needed then?

Post Reply