Feature Request: Terraforming Reversion

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

EricF
Space Dragon

Feature Request: Terraforming Reversion

#1 Post by EricF »

I would like Terraforming Reversion to be available on planets with Good habitability.
Why? Because there are times I would like the Natives to Terraform their planet to
a Hostile state so that it kills them so I can colonize with another Species.
Yes, Evil I know, but sometimes useful. :)
(I mean c'mon, some of the Species you run across are totally useless.
A bullet in the head is a waste of a bullet)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Feature Request: Terraforming Reversion

#2 Post by Dilvish »

I think the real obstacle is that terraform reversion moves towards the original environment, which in your described use case is the actual current environment, so the reversion would do nothing, regardless of whether it is Good for the current species or not.

If you want to depopulate the planet you always have Evacuation, or can do it more quickly if you get Concentration Camps.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

Dilvish wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:15 am I think the real obstacle is that terraform reversion moves towards the original environment, which in your described use case is the actual current environment, so the reversion would do nothing, regardless of whether it is Good for the current species or not.
Need to have a Terraform Clockwise and Terraform Anticlockwise
Dilvish wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:15 am If you want to depopulate the planet you always have Evacuation, or can do it more quickly if you get Concentration Camps.
Killing the existing Pop isn't my main goal in this instance, but that is desirable as well.
I want the Planet Terraformed toward the Habitable range of the Species I intend to
put there. Sorta killing two birds with one stone. :)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

There is a discussion thread for terraforming revamp. Terraforming costs v fractional production—new system needed
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

EricF wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:12 amNeed to have a Terraform Clockwise and Terraform Anticlockwise
I am pretty sure you could find some discussion of those in some terraforming planning threads. My recollection is that we rejected that approach both to keep the build designator from being cluttered, and to avoid requiring the user to think through such details more than is really necessary.

One of the great things about FO is its flexibility for users to code up their own content tweaks. clockwise and counterclockwise wouldn't be as simple to code as the current terraformers, but I think that it should be doable with current FOCS.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

EricF
Space Dragon

#6 Post by EricF »

To avoid clutter in the producible items list two ideas;

1) Instead of selectable items make the top row Tabs instead. So to produce ships you open the Ships:Tab and so forth. That way you could have an Effects or Terraform Tab with those options in there. Kind of a large change that would take getting used to for experienced players, but I don't think would be a major complication for new players. Or leave it the way it is and just put Terraforming under a new selectable category instead of Buildings.

2) Double clicking Terraforming keeps its original behavior, but maybe possible to single click and open a drop down menu with Terraforming Options?