Outpost Base

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

EricF
Space Dragon

Outpost Base

#1 Post by EricF »

A feature request that I would really like is if every planet in a system is already colonized/already has an outpost then the option to build an Outpost Base/Outpost Colony NOT be available. Also if a system only has say two available planets for outposts then you shouldn't be able to build say 5 Outpost Bases.
Why do I ask for this? Because I am a huge F*****G Moron. I have lost count of the number of times I have accidentally done this. :evil:

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Outpost Base

#2 Post by Dilvish »

The difficulty I see with your request is that decision is based on a particular combination of part (outpost pod) with hull (colony base hull). Currently, location restriction conditions are attached to individual parts and hulls, not ship designs, and (to my recollection) the conditions do not have a way of seeing what ship design they are being checked for. So I think it would take some rather nontrivial extensions to our code to be able to support such a decision. It would be a nice capability to be sure, perhaps someone will get sufficiently motivated one day.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

I had a suspicion that this request wouldn't be easy, but I was a little angry when I made it.
Thanks for the reply.

P.S. I have spent over $60 on games this year, but here I am back playing this one. :D

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Yeah, building a base when you meant something else (outpost ship usually) is an annoyance. You can always restore from autosave back a few turns.

o01eg
Programmer

#5 Post by o01eg »

It looks like Outpost Base is going to be removed: https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 617#p93617
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

EricF
Space Dragon

#6 Post by EricF »

o01eg wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 am It looks like Outpost Base is going to be removed: https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 617#p93617
Outpost Bases are a completely normal and understandable part of the game.
Outpost Colonies are completely unnecessary to the game and should be removed.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

What is currently possible with scripting:
  • give a sitrep warning if you are producing more outpost bases than unoccupied planets in the system (so you just waste a single turn production)
  • very maybe it is possible to make a special part that destroys one of your outpost base hulls and afterwards works/recreates itself as outpost ship. so you could "take out" the outpost part out of the useless base hull and "put it into" a real space vessel.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!