Multiplayer community looking for more players

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

L29Ah
Space Squid

Re: Multiplayer community looking for more players

#31 Post by L29Ah »

Bump badabump!
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#32 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi multiplayers, I dont have the time to play currently and if so it is in between playing single player.

But reading about the playing style of other people I got intrigued. So i got some questions, it would be great if you share your insights.
  • does stealth as combat tactics work against human players sometimes?
  • what are the main differences between single and multiplayers content and playing style wise?
  • e.g. i read that flak in its current form is already very important in order to shield your disruptors, cutting enemy supply lines
  • do you use the imperial stockpile, do you research the tech and build the building?
  • did one try sly or fulver and what was the game like?
If there is a commented video somewhere i would probably watch ;)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Voker57
Space Kraken

#33 Post by Voker57 »

> does stealth as combat tactics work against human players sometimes?
Absolutely, it's a race between stealth and detection. We're using a custom stealth patch with enlarged beacon radius and more accessible distortion modulator, otherwise it's a nightmare. AI is clueless about stealth carriers so it's easy to clear them out.

> what are the main differences between single and multiplayers content and playing style wise?
AI is very dumb, we don't consider it an opponent.

> e.g. i read that flak in its current form is already very important in order to shield your disruptors, cutting enemy supply lines
not really viable vs human

> do you use the imperial stockpile, do you research the tech and build the building?
> did one try sly or fulver and what was the game like?

We didn't play much recently, but stockpile seemed mostly useless and I think somebody got sly once and said it's OP.
Team S.M.A.C.: destroying dreams of multiplayer 4x since 2017.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#34 Post by Jaumito »

First I should say that our MP group is just 2 regulars + 2 occasionals, so my feedback may be skewed a bit by a lack of diversity.
> does stealth as combat tactics work against human players sometimes?
Absolutely, it's a race between stealth and detection. We're using a custom stealth patch with enlarged beacon radius and more accessible distortion modulator, otherwise it's a nightmare. AI is clueless about stealth carriers so it's easy to clear them out.
For us, when we used default game settings, stealth was hardly relevant.

Nowadays we often play with a tech cost scaling of 8-10, which means a research-oriented species can use it with great effect for a while against a research-challenged one. OTOH, since we're also partial to 5-turns battles, stealthy ships that aren't pure carriers get only 1/5 turns of free shots - so with the settings we use, when someone relies on stealth, it's mostly for pure carriers. Still not that common, as going organic/stealth can backfire horribly if your opponent catches up too soon.
> what are the main differences between single and multiplayers content and playing style wise?
AI is very dumb, we don't consider it an opponent.
Good scouting, being paranoid about ennemy fleets slipping past you to cut your supply, and being prepared to the fact you'll have to fight out of supply. You'll also want to rush for stargates as early as practical, although how much early may depend on the map. Strategically and tactically, you'll want to use forks as much as possible.
> e.g. i read that flak in its current form is already very important in order to shield your disruptors, cutting enemy supply lines
not really viable vs human
I may have overstated that due to the fact we're used to a 5-turns battle settings, but yes, sometimes you have to face carriers in hostile territory so I still think flak can at least be situationally useful, provided you have good pilots to man them.
> do you use the imperial stockpile, do you research the tech and build the building?
> did one try sly or fulver and what was the game like?

We didn't play much recently, but stockpile seemed mostly useless and I think somebody got sly once and said it's OP.
There's a Sly in an ongoing game, says he has an interesting and enjoyable game so far, but he knows I'll kick all the gas out of his butt eventually :lol:

Otherwise, I must confess I don't use the stockpile much and researching the tech has not been a priority for me so far.

Voker57
Space Kraken

#35 Post by Voker57 »

Not active anymore.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#36 Post by ThinkSome »

Not active? Let's re-activate it, then!

Voker57
Space Kraken

#37 Post by Voker57 »

You have my green light.