Phantom mines?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

Phantom mines?

#1 Post by Piwoslaw »

Build 2016-05-30.fc49608

Not far into the game an AI troopship wandered to one of my planets and... was destroyed. This surprised me as I had not researched ANY defense techs (no Planetary Defense, Mines, etc., only Force Filed Harmonics, which gives shields), and the only ship in the system was an outpost ship. SitRep reported that the enemy troopship was destroyed by mines, but whose mines? The system had no hidden natives.
mines.jpg
mines.jpg (233.51 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Phantom mines?

#2 Post by Vezzra »

You don't happen to own a planet with the Fortress special in that system? The planet sidepanel apparently doesn't show all the planets, there might be another one below the gas giant...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

3 mines is Fortress, doesn't need to be owned, if it's not there then there might be another weird scope bug in it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

#4 Post by Piwoslaw »

After researching up to Omni-scanner I can confirm that no other planets, natives or specials in this system, apart from what was already visible.

The exact same situation happened a few turns later in another system - also no hidden natives nor fortresses.

So it appears to be a bug.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, in that case, can you create a github issue?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Providing a save the reproduces the issue would be helpful.

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

#7 Post by Piwoslaw »

Vezzra wrote:Ok, in that case, can you create a github issue?
Unfortunately, I've never done this:( Are there any instructions available online?
Geoff the Medio wrote:Providing a save the reproduces the issue would be helpful.
You're right, I should have kept a copy of that savegame, but forgot:(

Do you guys think I should start that game over and try to reproduce the bug to get a savegame? Or I can see whether it also happens with the newest test version.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#8 Post by dbenage-cx »

Piwoslaw wrote:
Unfortunately, I've never done this:( Are there any instructions available online?
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/new should have a notice to create a new account if you do not have one.
Enter a descriptive title (e.g. Mine damage in system with no mines)
Provide steps to reproduce issue (In this case, might elaborate on your mine tech level and any other details).
Attach Log files / save game
Piwoslaw wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Providing a save the reproduces the issue would be helpful.
You're right, I should have kept a copy of that savegame, but forgot:(

Do you guys think I should start that game over and try to reproduce the bug to get a savegame? Or I can see whether it also happens with the newest test version.
Check your auto saves, if you have played it recently.
If not, please try to reproduce. Possibly a rare bug, I'll try to reproduce this week sometime if nothing comes up.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

Piwoslaw wrote:
What dbenage said. If you think you can't get it right following his instructions, just leave a short notice here, and I can do it for you.

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

#10 Post by Piwoslaw »

Good news - it turns out that I did save the game, but on the next turn. I've attached this save to the GitHub issue:
GitHub - Mine damage in system with no mines #703

Thank you for the instructions:)

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

#11 Post by Piwoslaw »

The issue has repeated itself in a new game, on the newer build. I have added the details, including screen + save, as a comment to the GitHub issue.