suggestion: dont bundle non fued ships into fleet--comsat

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

godel
Space Dragon

suggestion: dont bundle non fued ships into fleet--comsat

#1 Post by godel »

Why bother to bundle non-fueled ships into the fleet?
It was not a big hassle before,but now that every planet needs a comsat, it matters.

And even if it is in space, shouldn't that comsat be counted (as orbital factories do) as a building and cut the fuss?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: suggestion: dont bundle non fued ships into fleet--comsa

#2 Post by AndrewW »

godel wrote:Why bother to bundle non-fueled ships into the fleet?
Can be useful if you want to reduce the amount of entries in the fleet list and you have a lot of those, might want to combine them into their own fleet.
godel wrote:It was not a big hassle before,but now that every planet needs a comsat, it matters.
They do? Strange seeing as how I have never built one...

vincele
Space Dragon

#3 Post by vincele »

Or make the comsat a building... yeah, just kidding
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

I have built the occasional comsat. Normally on a planet cutoff with excess production, or a planet with a krill swarm or floater due to arrive in 4 turns that I'd rather not rush a ship to. That's it. I normally kill them off immediately afterwards, they're almost completely pointless.

The AI uses them, a lot, mostly at lower levels, because they're easier to code for than the decision making matrix a human player can do easily as to where to post corvette/frigate types to deal with low level threats. There is basically no other use for them. They are marginally useful to stop scout ships getting through your territory, but that's a marginal benefit and you can (and should) hunt them down easily.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#5 Post by dbenage-cx »

I use them pretty often, mostly for monster control (initiate combat for krill/snowflake). In the rare cases of an enemy fleet with few nearby ships, a batch of them can be pretty helpful.

godel
Space Dragon

#6 Post by godel »

"Or make the comsat a building... yeah, just kidding"

Not just kidding. It does nothing that an orbital whatever would not do. It is an orbital piece of war machine. But there are others that are buildings. Why not these? Well you can make more than one.

I really do not understand why anyone would want more than one. But I do not understand their effect either.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#7 Post by dbenage-cx »

godel wrote:I really do not understand why anyone would want more than one. But I do not understand their effect either.
Cannon fodder. Each shot that ends up hitting a comsat is one less hitting your ships.

Since buildings are not a part of combat, changing them so would negate both the decoy and the ability to initiate combat.

godel
Space Dragon

#8 Post by godel »

Thanks for the explanation.
the game explanation was that they would excite the planetary defenses against intruders. in effect putting the planet on alert not on passive/peaceful.
Too bad the official explanation has little to do with the real thing.

But we have seen such before. That thing about how it would destroy your world but blockade all ships coming through? See explanation in Feb 15 and Sept 15 for such.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#9 Post by em3 »

godel wrote:the game explanation was that they would excite the planetary defenses against intruders. in effect putting the planet on alert not on passive/peaceful.
Well... it's what they do, is it not? Being a decoy is a bonus.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556