New special: World Tree

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Sloth
Content Scripter

New special: World Tree

#1 Post by Sloth »

The patch adds a new special: The World Tree

From the Pedia:
Increases max Population by +1, Supply by +1, Happiness by +5 and Detection Range by +10

A gigantic tree has grown so large that its crown has left the atmosphere of the planet. Scientists suspect that it has been plantet by the Curators in ancient times.
It's not really a strategic ressource (it's not really worth fighting over), but should always be a pleasent surprise to find.
Attachments
worldtree.png
worldtree.png (24.67 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

Re: New special: World Tree

#2 Post by Sloth »

Bump!
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

I don't even remember seeing this one before. It does look like a fun little bonus. Can I get a second on the motion to commit Sloth? Er, his patch?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Bobit
Space Floater

#4 Post by Bobit »

I know my opinion probably doesn't matter much, but personally I wouldn't like to a special that "isn't worth fighting over." The idea of an epic tree that gives specials is cool though, but I would prefer if its behavior was somehow more impactful/unique, rather than giving a little bit of everything.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Can I get a second on the motion to commit Sloth?
You know, committing Sloth to svn sounds interesting... but keep in mind that these VCSes are meant to keep everything forever. What has been committed, you'll never got rid of ever again. So we'll have to put up with him for the rest of eternity. You're sure you really want that? :mrgreen:
Er, his patch?
Yep, this special sounds like something fun and nice. Put it in, it won't break anything, and I'm interested to see how people are going to like it.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Bobit wrote:I know my opinion probably doesn't matter much, but personally I wouldn't like to a special that "isn't worth fighting over." The idea of an epic tree that gives specials is cool though, but I would prefer if its behavior was somehow more impactful/unique, rather than giving a little bit of everything.
Hm, not everything needs to be as important and valuable as everything else. The detection range bonus, and, once happiness and allegiance get implemented (apparently Geoff is already doing some basic groundwork for that), also the happiness bonus seem sufficiently substantial to make it something worth having.

If we want to give it significantly more importance, maybe have it grant a +1 happiness bonus to all colonies of your empire? As some kind of awesome wonder/phenomenon, that can inspire all of your people.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#7 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:If we want to give it significantly more importance, maybe have it grant a +1 happiness bonus to all colonies of your empire? As some kind of awesome wonder/phenomenon, that can inspire all of your people.
In my concept of happiness and allegiance, a single bonus to happiness helps all planets with the same species in the long run.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Sloth wrote:In my concept of happiness and allegiance, a single bonus to happiness helps all planets with the same species in the long run.
As nothing is decided regarding happiness, allegiance and influence yet, I think giving the World Tree a +1 happiness bonus for all empire worlds in the meantime would be an interesting option. Once we reach a consensus on the whole happiness&co mechanics, we'll have do revise quite a lot of things anyway.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#9 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:As nothing is decided regarding happiness, allegiance and influence yet, I think giving the World Tree a +1 happiness bonus for all empire worlds in the meantime would be an interesting option. Once we reach a consensus on the whole happiness&co mechanics, we'll have do revise quite a lot of things anyway.
Well, i don't mind it giving +1 happiness to all worlds.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Suggestion, rather than +1 overall, +1 growth if below maximum. Beyond that, it's a nice flavour special that I like the idea of but haven't had time to test. Given I can't see any real balance issues with it I'm happy to see it committed and then perhaps tweak it once it's bedded in.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:Suggestion, rather than +1 overall, +1 growth if below maximum.
I think I don't exactly understand what you want to propose here. What's "+1 growth" supposed to be?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by MatGB »

Happiness goes up 1 per turn under normal circumstances. If you've got the World Tree, it can instead go up 2 per turn (perhaps with some caveats, same species/type/within X jumps/uu or something).

That's assuming that it's a rare/unique special, I guess.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

Committed.

Sloth, due to the fact that the patch has been pending for months, it did not go in without issues. There have been changes to the parsers, and I had to solve several parse errors before I got the thing working. Can you check your other still pending patches if they are working with current SVN (take a look at the commit and my edits for pointers) and perhaps post a rediff ? Makes things a bit easier for us committers :)
MatGB wrote:Happiness goes up 1 per turn under normal circumstances. If you've got the World Tree, it can instead go up 2 per turn (perhaps with some caveats, same species/type/within X jumps/uu or something).
Interesting idea. Well, for now I've committed it as Sloth posted it (with the necessary edits to make it work of course), I just added an empire wide +1 happiness bonus. Feel free to experiment of course ;)
That's assuming that it's a rare/unique special, I guess.
It is. Spawnlimit is 1.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#14 Post by Dilvish »

I committed the icon, along with other sizes for the icon (I'm not entirely sure how much it helps to have them, but it seems like it is expected to be helpful).'

Sloth, I encourage you to add your original artwork file (if you have something more involved than the png) to the freeorion-assets repository that marcel(adrian_broher) set up. There's not a lot there yet but I think it's worthwhile to keep adding to it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#15 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I committed the icon
Argh, missed the icon... :oops:

Thanks for rectifying my oversight.