Ki Spice Addicts (brainstorming)

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

yandonman
Creative Contributor

Ki Spice Addicts (brainstorming)

#1 Post by yandonman »

Ki Spice Addiction (Species trait)

Without a Ki Spice producing world:
* Bad Pilots
* Good Research

With a Ki Spice producing world:
* Good Pilots
* Bad Research

Thoughts?
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Mitten.O
Programmer

Re: Ki Spice Addicts (brainstorming)

#2 Post by Mitten.O »

That sounds like both an interesting bit of character and an interesting strategic choice. A Ki Spice world could be good or bad in many ways with this. I like it.

Were you thinking that the modifier applies only when the spice world in on growth or always? If it works only when on growth, it will be much more useful, but I kinda like the idea of having to depopulate a planet just to make it harder for addicts to get their fix.
Any code by me in this post is released under GPL 2.0 or later.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by yandonman »

Yes. The intention was to have "Ki Spike producing" = an owned planet with Ki Spice set to Growth.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

The basic idea is quite interesting, the problem is that currently bad research and good pilots don't balance well. Bad research is only a minor disadvantage once you've got some research boosts (which is normally the case by the time you get some Ki Spice), while good pilots are a huge advantage.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#5 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:The basic idea is quite interesting, the problem is that currently bad research and good pilots don't balance well. Bad research is only a minor disadvantage once you've got some research boosts (which is normally the case by the time you get some Ki Spice), while good pilots are a huge advantage.
Numbers can be tweaked. Having a big research malus can be big trouble in the early to mid game.
yandonman wrote:Yes. The intention was to have "Ki Spike producing" = an owned planet with Ki Spice set to Growth.
That's not a good idea. Players would be able to switch to Growth focus just before a battle and switch back afterwards, because the damage of ships is not a growing meter. Micromanagement ensues.

I think it's better to have the bonus/malus active as long as the planet is inhabited, but it only applies to your organic species (or only the organic species that is settled on the planet). That way it becomes a powerful special that should be occupied with an outpost asap, but needs some setup in your species management to be turned into profit.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by yandonman »

Sloth wrote:Micromanagement ensues.
I see your point. Reverting to "Ki Spice planet owned".

Sloth wrote:
Vezzra wrote:bad research and good pilots don't balance well
Having a big research malus can be big trouble in the early to mid game
What if it was just Bad Pilots (no Ki spice) vs Good Pilots (with Ki spice)? - This would make Ki Spice a must have for the afflicted species, and would make Ki Spice a more interesting resource to fight over.

Or it could just go "Ki Spice Metabolizing" - Good Pilots w/ Ki Spice and no malus w/o.

I'm open to suggestions. Also, which species should get this? I'm tempted to slap this on Eaxaw.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by em3 »

Or maybe... no malus before aquiring the spice, bonus after aquiring the resource... and a huge malus if access to the resource is ever lost?
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Sloth wrote:Numbers can be tweaked. Having a big research malus can be big trouble in the early to mid game.
Well, that's kind of the point - the malus isn't big, except very early in the game when you have none of the research boosting techs. And at that time it's very unlikely that you get hold of a planet with the Ki Spice special. By the time you normaly get one of those, you've usually researched enough of the research boosting techs that the malus of bad research isn't a big issue anymore.

Now, if the species pick industry/research bonuses/maluses would not only affect the basic amount you get from the focus setting, but also all the other bonuses you get from various techs, buildings, speciels etc., that would be somthing completely different...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by LienRag »

I find this topic by searching for something else, has this (very interesting idea) be abandoned ?

I believe that "bad research" is much more a problem now that it was then...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm I find this topic by searching for something else, has this (very interesting idea) be abandoned ?
Well, discussion didn't continue, and obviously the idea had been forgotten. Feel free to resurrect it and maybe propose some more detailed numbers... ;)

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by LienRag »

I like the idea above to have no malus initially but to give a big one if Ki Spice is acquired and then lost.

But I don't think it's possible to declare a variable in FOCS ?
So without a boolean to tell if Ki Spice has ever been introduced to the Species I guess this idea cannot be implemented...