Scissor and Rift

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Scissor and Rift

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'd like to propose a late game "galactic terraforming tool" / "doomsday weapon", as in the attached patch. Suggestions of cost and where to unlock on the tree would be appreciated...

Might need the latest SVN to avoid some minor fleet-stranded issues, but generally should work in recent builds.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Sloth
Content Scripter

Re: Scissor and Rift

#2 Post by Sloth »

I've just now encountered this post. That's a nasty building.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Suggestions of cost and where to unlock on the tree would be appreciated...
The effect is much stronger than a Nova Bomb, so it should be more expensive. I suggest:
buildcost = 4000 PP (Nova Bomb 1500 PP)
buildtime = 9 (this value has to be balanced well, to give the opponents just a little time frame to react and block supply lines)

Unlocked by a new tech (maybe called Subspace Rift) with Artificial Black Hole as prequesite.

PS: There should be a SitRep when someone starts to build this beast somewhere visible.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Geoff the Medio

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sloth wrote:That's a nasty building.
Yes, but one can actually run ships away from it as it takes several turns to work...

Sloth
Content Scripter

#4 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Yes, but one can actually run ships away from it as it takes several turns to work...
Ships can run away, systems and planets can't. In most spots this will eat at least 4 systems (sometimes 7 or more).

It should almost always be possible to move away some of your planets with planetary Starlane Drive and find a spot to trade an outpost on a Gas Giant for at least 2 systems of your opponents.

That would be ok (with appropriate research and build costs), if only a big chunk of starlanes wouldn't disappear from the map. Cutting the galaxy into two parts that can't really interact with each other shouldn't be possible imho.

Is there a way to somehow link the edges together when the systems are destroyed?
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Sloth wrote:Is there a way to somehow link the edges together when the systems are destroyed?
Do the systems themselves get destroyed (that is, removed from the map), or just their contents? In the latter case the problem wouldn't arise...

Sloth
Content Scripter

#6 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:Do the systems themselves get destroyed (that is, removed from the map), or just their contents? In the latter case the problem wouldn't arise...
The systems are dragged towards the center of the rift and then destroyed. The only way i can see this working is keeping the initial (emptied) system in the center and bypassing the other systems when they are destroyed.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This could/would be a very late-game and maybe game-ending type unlock, or would be something that players don't get to produce themselves, but instead is activated by doing something some some pre-existing ruins or due to a monster event or somesuch...

Sloth
Content Scripter

#8 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio wrote:This could/would be a very late-game and maybe game-ending type unlock, or would be something that players don't get to produce themselves, but instead is activated by doing something some some pre-existing ruins or due to a monster event or somesuch...
I strongly dislike the idea that a part of the galaxy gets cut off at any point of the game or for whatever reason. Some of the empires won't be able to win by defeating the opponets anymore, which sounds like a good reason to be frustrated and quit the game.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sloth wrote:...part of the galaxy gets cut off...
Players will / should have the ability to create starlanes.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#10 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Players will / should have the ability to create starlanes.
Then the rift should be ok as a very very late game tech.

I guess the Subspace Rift should cost at least 2500 RP and have Artificial Black Hole as a prequesite.

Revlot
Space Floater

#11 Post by Revlot »

Would be nasty to force it build-able on your home-world only - 'kill me and I scorch the earth around me' tactic. Severe restrictions on implementation seem logical though. Alien Crossfire has the 'Fusion Bomb' that wipes out a whole city and blasts the land away, and other games have similar Doom Devices.
I understand that this is a work in progress and that my comments here are just comments and NOT requests for immediate code fixes.
Thank you for the work done so far - please continue with whatever part of the game you are currently working on.