How to Help with Scripting

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: How to Help with Scripting

#31 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Chriss wrote:...where do I find error messages caused by scripting? I did look at freeorion.log and freeoriond.log, but that is so cluttered with a myriad of other stuff...
Scripting parse errors are usually quite distinctive in appearance. Search for "ERROR" or "Parse error" in the log, and you should fine any quite quickly. An example is in this post.

Also, the parse errors will generally appear fairly early in the log... it's not necessary to play 10 turns and have a long log to see a parse error message.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#32 Post by dbenage-cx »

Ok, so I rewrote the outdated Effects Tutorial, in part as a walkthrough for editing content and also as a companion to the Effects Reference.

I suspect the reference page may be replaced down the road with source documentation, but the tutorial could use a set of fresh eyes for someone willing to pour through a wall of text.
Mostly concerned about any confusing points, but please feel free to make any edits needed, or post them and I'll see how to work them in.
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

dbenage-cx wrote:...but please feel free to make any edits needed, or post them and I'll see how to work them in.
"a lot" is two words. Like "a bunch" or "a few" or "a couple".

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#34 Post by dbenage-cx »

Silly american edumacation :oops:
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#35 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#36 Post by LienRag »

Is the OP's list still the reference one ?

Because I find
Buildings

Disable the construction of Outpost bases when there are no unowned planets in the system.
Disable the construction of Colony bases when there are no uncolonized planets in the system.
Though Outpost and Colony bases can be sent through Stargates, so it is a (rare but occasionally) possible strategy to build them even when there is no unowned planet in the system...