Explaining Game Concepts in FO (submit entries here)

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Explaining Game Concepts in FO (submit entries here)

#16 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Or "When producing new ships, hull costs increase by 5% for each ship already owned by the empire."
em3's language was a little more precise, in not being subject to the interpretation of base*( (1.05)^n ) but I think the conciseness and readability of Geoff's language is worth the slight ambiguiity.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Sloth
Content Scripter

#17 Post by Sloth »

Here is a little patch that updates some Game Concept entries (Mostly due to changes made to Mining and Protection Focus).
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Sloth wrote:Here is a little patch that updates some Game Concept entries (Mostly due to changes made to Mining and Protection Focus).
Committed to SVN, rev 5753.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#19 Post by qsswin »

I always have trouble remembering which AI level corresponds to which capitol name, so I made a little pedia entry about AI levels, with the list.
Attachments

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by eleazar »

qsswin wrote:I always have trouble remembering which AI level corresponds to which capitol name, so I made a little pedia entry about AI levels, with the list.
Thanks, added:
revision 5815

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#21 Post by Dilvish »

somewhere along the way it got garbled to be missing the AI_LEVELS_TEXT label, which was messing up every stringtable entry thereafter; I just committed a fix.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#22 Post by eleazar »

Gah, I almost always test befor commiting, but it looked so innocent...
Thanks Dilvish.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#23 Post by shawndream »

After I got an excellent summary from the friendly
MatGB wrote: Space Combat how-it-works summary. Count all active units, including planets, multiply by three. That's how many rounds of combat there can be at max. Each round, a unit present is selected completely at random and shoots each of its weapons at a random target. This can mean that, by random chance, the defending planet shoots down every single attacking ship before any of them fire a shot, this is unusual and rare but can happen. Generally, having more ships gives you the advantage but also having very powerful ships can be advantageous, Fractal Hulls, for example, can destroy entire fleets on their own if kitted out right, but they take damage doing it. I'd been playing for months before I even noticed clicking the combat button would give me a summary of what shot what, and even longer before Ir ead a description of how combat is resolved.

It sounds horrible at first, especially for someone like me coming from a wargaming U Go I Go background, but if you read some MilSF books about planetary invasions at near-luminal velocities, it does actually make some sense that who gets to engage where can be very very random indeed (although I don't recommend the series overall, Weber's 2nd Honor Harrington book, available from the Baen Free Library, has a nice bit about ships racing around a star system trying to find each other and engage, it's not going to be a case of everyone lines up and takes turns when ships move at that sort of speed, etc)
I did a little double checking myself (add some sort of personal value, ensure my first code contribution was accurate, and learn more about the code).

It appears combat code currently resides in the freeorionD project, inside the files:
Header Files\combat\combatsystem.h
Source Files\combat\combatsystem.cpp

Critically AutoResolveCombat, which takes a combatinfo object (turn and system of combat, parsed)

The attached patch details my findings in game friendly terms. I toned down the verbosity a tad and tried to make sure I used unix newlines.

Oh, and released GPL 2.0+, if it matters for non code.
Attachments

Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#24 Post by Vezzra »

shawndream wrote:Oh, and released GPL 2.0+, if it matters for non code.
FreeOrion's licence policies are stated here. According to these terms, you'll have to state that you release the above contribution (also) under the CC BY-SA 3.0 licence. I'm not 100% sure if encyclopedia.txt counts as content script or just as in-game text, but I think it's the former, so both licences (GPL 2.0+ and CC BY-SA 3.0) apply.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#25 Post by shawndream »

How's the new sig?
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

Isengrim
Space Floater

#26 Post by Isengrim »

is the hotkey list at http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Manual complete? I was hoping to add an entry or two to the pedia giving an overveiw of all the hotkeys used in the game.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#27 Post by MatGB »

That's definitely not complete, probably best to look in your config file or the C++ code for the full list, good idea though.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Isengrim
Space Floater

#28 Post by Isengrim »

will do,thanks.

*Edit
id read this as "CTRL_T" right?

Code: Select all

GG::GGK_t, GG::MOD_KEY_CTRL);

EricF
Space Dragon

#29 Post by EricF »

I made a modification to the Pedia. Should I just upload the whole en.txt file?
Using a windows box at home to do this and don't know how to make a diff.
I'm using the Notepad++ editor.
Not sure if this is the right forum, either.

I made an addition the Pedia entry INDUSTRY_TEXT;

When ships are added to the queue they have two drop down menus that enable you to build the same ship multiple times. The first is to build that ship the specified number of times. So if 5 is selected the shipyard will build one ship and then build another ship and so forth until it has built 5 ships. If the second one to the right is selected the shipyard will build that number of ships. Note: To change these values you must left click to open the drop down menu and then left click again on the desired value to change it. You can change the numbers with your mouse scroll wheel, but it will not be recognized.
Last edited by EricF on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#30 Post by Geoff the Medio »

EricF wrote:I made a modification to the Pedia. Should I just upload the whole en.txt file?
Using a windows box at home to do this and don't know how to make a diff.
Make a github account, and if you don't want to start using a git client / interface, you can use the github website's editor function to modify the file and then create a branch and pull request. The interface is relatively understandable: when logged in, there should be an edit button next to the Raw / Blame / History buttons: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... les/en.txt