Exobot/exobot productivity tweaks

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Exobot/exobot productivity tweaks

#1 Post by wobbly »

Noone is using them (as the colony costs influence).

Some suggested minor boosts:

Productivity policy gives same research boost as industry boost.
+1 supply from policy when logistic focus (= average supply species).
Translator building opens influence focus (translaterbots).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Exobot/exobot productivity tweaks

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I could use Exobots, but not in current single-team MP game where we are sharing all species and there is no environment for which we don't have a good or adequate species that pwns Exobots.

I like your suggestion of allowing them to influence focus when there's a Translator building.
What about also making them cost half the influence upkeep from start? They are easier to keep "content", so a 0.5 factor of the colony influence upkeep if species is Exobot.

o01eg
Programmer

#3 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 am I could use Exobots, but not in current single-team MP game where we are sharing all species and there is no environment for which we don't have a good or adequate species that pwns Exobots.
Asteroids?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:17 am
Oberlus wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 am I could use Exobots, but not in current single-team MP...
Asteroids?
Gah! Right.
Anyways, influence shortage will make those only temporal, until you get better sources of PP/RP/IP for the same upkeep. The policies that allow to milk unowned planets are good, but not enough to keep Exobot in the list of "first to get rid off".

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 am What about also making them cost half the influence upkeep from start? They are easier to keep "content", so a 0.5 factor of the colony influence upkeep if species is Exobot.
How about low maintainance (insert better trait name) - exobots 1/2 cost
high insert trait name - missouri (mercs), biege goo (insert fluff) x2 cost

Tangent: I had a different idea for 57s balance. Add fluff line "57s do not build war machines instead relying on domesticed space monsters for defense" and add a random system compatable organic monster or nest. Not certain whether you can call the monster rng from FOCs

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 amWhat about also making them cost half the influence upkeep from start? They are easier to keep "content", so a 0.5 factor of the colony influence upkeep if species is Exobot.
Exobots are already "Great Happiness", or +5 to target stability, so they are already easier to "keep content".

Regardless, they could also count half as much towards the number of colonies for calculating imperial administration costs.

I would further:
-Exempt Exobots from stability penalties due to empire influence debt from Capital Markets
-Add to the Exobot Productivity policy a penalty to non-exobot planet stability or influence when set to industry focus. Thus players will be encouraged to commit to an Exobot-based economy to get get the full benefits from them.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

+1

stpa
Space Kraken

#8 Post by stpa »

should each species get their own flavour of exobot? too much .. how about metabolism-linked exobots? one for lithic, one for organic, .. is just i can not imagine all the alien species to have the exact same kind of exobot .. maybe out of scope of this thread though

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

stpa wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:13 pm is just i can not imagine all the alien species to have the exact same kind of exobot .. maybe out of scope of this thread though
Check out this thread, you might like some ideas in there: https://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=11324
It's from when Exobots had standard environment preference (good at barren).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by LienRag »

Exobots are boring (adequate everywhere, all empire can have them), they're just there to compensate for bad luck.

Having a few planets with them (asteroids for Specials) is fine to add some diversity to the game (and Diversity if needs be), no reason to have more.

A few more reasons (like logistics, as someone proposed) why not, but that's all.

stpa would need to come with very good fluff to convince me otherwise...

stpa
Space Kraken

#11 Post by stpa »

>50 flavours of fluff? nope, you convinced me, fine as they are now ^…^ although maybe that (s)exobot-thingy with the peel-off-their-sexy-shells part as an alternative to the hated extermination camps so the dying population can have a happy boost to f**k 'emselves to death? that'd be nice to have .. in fiction of course