Rebalance/rework research techs and policies (v0.5)

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Rebalance/rework research techs and policies (v0.5)

#31 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:16 pm throw in a part for getting rid of that damage for special science ships and count me in. maybe normal shields would suffice; maybe a science lab core part.
What would these "science ships" bring to the game in terms of strategic value ?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#32 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:03 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:16 pm throw in a part for getting rid of that damage for special science ships and count me in. maybe normal shields would suffice; maybe a science lab core part.
What would these "science ships" bring to the game in terms of strategic value ?
They would be for the exploration and exploitation part of the game. They would be sources of RP which can be moved and shot down. They require a choice/an investment - you could have spent the core part for a military use.

And if you did not invest in research you cant reap the RP benefits.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#33 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:27 am They would be for the exploration and exploitation part of the game. They would be sources of RP which can be moved and shot down. They require a choice/an investment - you could have spent the core part for a military use.

And if you did not invest in research you cant reap the RP benefits.
Meh. Don't know.
Maybe it can indeed be interesting (I guess if they have to get out of Supply/explored space to get RP) if they can actually be pursued and shot down.

I mean, Meteor Swarm fields are random, most of the time safely in one player's territory, not seen by other players before at least middle-game so there are way more luck than strategy involved...

Or are you talking of Science Ships getting RP from other things than Meteor Swarms ?

Anyway stacking Science ships doesn't seem to me really fun nor usually strategic...

BTW Geoff, do you plan to make your Exploration Policy bring some RP for each new Field that has been explored ? Maybe N on each turn for a maximum of 5 turns each Field, with N = number of fields already explored.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#34 Post by Oberlus »

I like Ophiuchus proposal. Everything he said makes a lot of sense.

We already talked about making fields faster so that they actually need to be chased down and not standing still in one empire's space. So I see no problem in what LR mentions here.

"Stacking ships for <insert purpose here> not strategic"
:roll:
LR, I don't get what you think strategy is.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#35 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:04 pm "Stacking ships for <insert purpose here> not strategic"
Indeed.

Demonstration :
chess bot.jpg
chess bot.jpg (67.31 KiB) Viewed 691 times