Research races and temporal anomilies

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Research races and temporal anomilies

#1 Post by wobbly »

The racial research bonus stacks on temporal anomalies. This might be ridiculous or it might be just fine. The only thing keeping this in check is that the meter only grows 1, till you reach force energy structures. Anyway I'm looking at a medium swamp, 2 organic growth specials, homeworld supply, subterranean habbitation, planetary ecology, symbiotic biology, xenological genetics and scyllor. My rough calculation for 8.25 population is that this is a 100 RP planet.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Research races and temporal anomilies

#2 Post by Oberlus »

The research bonus from the special is 5*population. That would be 41.25 RP. And since it applied before great research trait, it gets doubled to 82.5 RP, right?

It is a medium size planet, size 3, and the population malus from the special is -15, so planet size without the special would be 23.25 (not sure, didn't check out all pop effects in this case). In that case research would be something like... 60 RP? And so Temporal Anomaly is just plain huge late game.
Either we move it to a later priority (to not be affected by good/bad research) or we half the bonus. Something like that.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by wobbly »

My gut instinct is moving it after the racial modifier, though I'm not yet convinced its a problem. Force Energy Structures isn't the cheapest tech to research and that's the point where this type of planet gets crazy good. To some extent I'm waiting on other opinions.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Moving it after species trait would make them not so good for good/great researchers and better for bad researchers. I like that gameplay-wise.
I don't like it fluff-wise, intuitively I expect better researchers to get more than bad researchers from a temporal anomaly.
And so I also like making it less powerful while still affected by species trait (nerf it from current 25*[[RESEARCH_PER_POP]], +5*pop, to 15*[[RESEARCH_PER_POP]], +3*pop).

However, you're right, maybe it isn't that powerful right now, if you need 40 or 80 turns to get the max of it. And it affects a single planet...
However^2, if we ever change Force Energy Structures to be cheaper to research, we should revisit this.