Hangar-bay-less launch bay with fighters on it?

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Hangar-bay-less launch bay with fighters on it?

#1 Post by Oberlus »

For the themed tech tree organic hulls with exclusive organic ship parts (things like claws, maws, spines, tentacles, stealth armour...) I'm thinking of scripting the tentacles as fighters, so ignore shields but can be destroyed. But I like it to use only external parts, specifically a "tentacle" external part that has (e.g.) 4 "fighters" (tentacles) and that can "launch" (attack with) them all at once, so it would be like a launch bay with (launch) capacity 4 but also an hangar bay with (storage) capacity 4. Since both use the same "capacity" attribute, is this doable?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Hangar-bay-less launch bay with fighters on it?

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm is this doable?
not without backend changes. to launch fighters you need a hangar and a bay. if you have at least one of each you can tweak the values by effects. see the missile discussion
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Thank you, Ophiuchus.

So I'm accepting that shield-piercing weapons should be fighter-type and those will necessarily require an hangar and a launch bay.
My main problem now is how to fluff the presence and requirement of an internal part (the hangar) for the tentacles to work. Octopus tentacles do not require ammo storage, indeed... I just need something to call that weird internal part. "Tentacle regenerator" sounds aweful, as in "WAT?!".

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Krikkitone »

Tentacle roots/anchors (if a tentacle is attacking another ship in space it needs to be fixed on pretty well)

or tentacle musculature /cavity

the launch bay could be tentacle orifice

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Great! :D