0.4.10 heavy asteroid hull buff - an extra internal slot

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Ophiuchus
Programmer

0.4.10 heavy asteroid hull buff - an extra internal slot

#1 Post by Ophiuchus »

Thinking about fine-tuning game balance in 0.4.10:

Heavy asteroid hull needs a buff. Compared to the normal asteroid hull it has no advantage besides being more heavy. Since the shields became cheaper. At shields-3 I consider two normal asteroids still more cost efficient: two normal asteroid hulls with shields-3 (structure 60, int/ext 2/8, 1fuel+avg.eff) cost 80 and one heavy asteroid with shields-3 (structure 50, int/ext 1/6, 2fuel+bad.eff) cost 60. Compared to self-grav it has one external slot more, but no core slot, is slower, and is 25% less structure efficient. As buff I would up the internal slots to 3 (it lost some when introducing fuel efficiency), so int/ext is 3/6 which is a nice progression of the 2/4 of the normal asteroid hull.

Any suggestions/objections?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: 0.4.10 heavy asteroid hull buff - an extra internal slot

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I would start with 2 internal slots and playtest. Three internal slots can be OP, and takes out some hard decisions than I like to have.
/Edit: wait, it already has 2 internal slots. Then maybe up a bit structure./

Keep in mind that one shield with a lot of armor (which the heavy asteroid can do) is better than two shields with half the armor each, less durable. Shields and structure complement each other (when shield is not stronger than enemy weapons).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: 0.4.10 heavy asteroid hull buff - an extra internal slot

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm Three internal slots can be OP, and takes out some hard decisions than I like to have.
Difference between two internal slots and three is not so like much i think. I think before fuel efficiency it had even more slots. The internal slot gives one more hangar (or fuel part) basically. And internal slots fit the theme quite fine (huge asteroids with lots of space inside).
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm Keep in mind that one shield with a lot of armor (which the heavy asteroid can do) is better than two shields with half the armor each, less durable. Shields and structure complement each other (when shield is not stronger than enemy weapons).
Yes, I know, I did not suggest adding another external slot. Compared to other mid-level hulls heavy asteroid hull is just a bad option.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!