Naming convention for hiearchies of parts, hulls, etc.

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Naming convention for hiearchies of parts, hulls, etc.

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Long time ago I saw somewhere a discussion about naming conventions for stuff like weapons (both FOCS files and the... keywords?).
IIRC, weapons were going to be something like SR_MASS_DRIVER, SR_LASER, etc. But someone argued that names like SR_WEAPON_1_1 was better, and the weapons were renamed. I agree with that last part, I find it better for files and keywords manipulation and management.
Some other stuff follows that convention (e.g. SH_KRAKEN_BODY_1, SH_KRAKEN_BODY_2, etc. for the kraken hulls; SM_KRAKEN_1, SM_KRAKEN_2, etc. for the kraken monster designs).
However, many stuff doesn't follow it (e.g. we have SH_GUARD_BODY_0, _1 & _3, but the one corresponding to _2 is called SH_GUARD_MONSTER_BODY; or the designs for the Space Cloud, Space Volcano, Dimensional Rift and Behemoth of the Void are called SM_CLOUD, SM_ASH, SM_DIM and SM_VOID, and one can't know from those names who is the strongest and the weakest; or the armour plates, AR_STANDARD_PLATE, AR_ZORTRIUM_PLATE, etc. instead of, for example, AR_PLATE_0, AR_PLATE_1, etc.).

Once I begin balancing current tech tree of creating new stuff for the themed tech tree, would it be OK (or better) to use the "easy" naming (STUFF_0, _1, etc.) or should I use the English names such as FANCY_NAME, SOMETHING_ELSE, FLUF_MCFLUFFY, etc.?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Naming convention for hiearchies of parts, hulls, etc.

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 pmOnce I begin balancing current tech tree of creating new stuff for the themed tech tree, would it be OK (or better) to use the "easy" naming (STUFF_0, _1, etc.) or should I use the English names such as FANCY_NAME, SOMETHING_ELSE, FLUF_MCFLUFFY, etc.?
The former.