Make self-sustaining = radiovore

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Make self-sustaining = radiovore

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Self-sustaining is a bit broken (OP).

Should it apply only to good env. planets, then it wouldn't be that much of an advantage.
Trith and Acirema prefer radiated, Kobuntura barren.
So maybe this is obvious:
Consider "self-sustaining" as radiovore (or the proper word for eating radioactivity), let the bonus (+3*HabSize) apply only on radioactive planets as well as in planets with a certain special that can appear on barren and inferno planets (maybe only on barren), and place that special on the kobuntura HWs.
Thus, colonising hostile env. planets will requiere actual effort from Trith.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

Re: Make self-sustaining = radiovore

#2 Post by Jaumito »

Self-sustaining metabolism doesn't have to be linked to a specific environment just because the few species that have it - at the moment - happen to prefer to live in that environment. Deriving ad-hoc fixes from mere coincidences is akin to opening cans of worms (imho.)

How are species like the Kobunturra supposed to get metabolism growth bonuses outside of their HW, besides planets with the radiovore special?

Why couldn't I design a self-sustaining species that prefer, say, desert worlds? (By the way, that's exactly what the Nymmmm are.)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

You're right.

And I forgot about the Nymmmmm.

My reasoning was that, the same we have now an species/metabolism which is bounded to a certain type of planet/environment (Sly and Gas Giants), we could change the self-sustaining metabolism to be bounded to one of the regular environments (and thus make its gameplay even more differentiated from the other metabolisms) and at the same time address the balance issue.

But I missed the point that doing this self-containment loses a lot of versatility for species design. It would be good to have a metabolism that is different than the three regular and that is applicable to many environments (to have more varieity of species), and that metabolism is self-sustaining.

There is for sure something better than my suggestion to make self-sustaining metabolism better balanced while keeping its generality and its differentiation from the three regular metabolisms.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#4 Post by drkosy »

Acimera and Nymnmn are bound to their home worlds, so in pricnipal we're just talking about trith and cobuntura.
I like the idea with that special giving selfsustaining races their pop bonus. On the other hand gameplay would be somehow similar to phototropic species. You seek for bright stars for phototropic and energy-specials for selfsustaining.
To bind the pop bonus on environment is another interesting idea, making terraforming especially for selfsustaining more interesting. But it is something like the "florish on fewer types" trait.

Maybe it could be something like: The max pop growth with time, because the species needs time to adapt the planet. It starts with normal pop + tech bonus. All 10 turns one max pop is added. That would mean, you can't colonize hostile planets early, but have that selfsustaining bonus without investing something.

P.S: Cobuntura is OP nevertheless. Very high production and high pop (due to selfsustaining). I suggest to reduce the production to high (150%), that would make species like george or replicon still interessting if you have cobuntura in you empire.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod