GameRule idea re FOCS

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

o01eg
Programmer

GameRule idea re FOCS

#1 Post by o01eg »

I think it would be useful if game rules accept FOCS scripts.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

GameRule idea re FOCS

#2 Post by Dilvish »

o01eg wrote:I think it would be useful if game rules accept FOCS scripts.
I can't really figure out what you are meaning there. If you can clarify your idea, it sounds like it should have a thread of its own.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

o01eg
Programmer

Re: game rule to disallow doomsday weapons

#3 Post by o01eg »

Dilvish wrote:
o01eg wrote:I think it would be useful if game rules accept FOCS scripts.
I can't really figure out what you are meaning there. If you can clarify your idea, it sounds like it should have a thread of its own.
Allow to enter string which will be processed by FOCS interpretator. So the host can provide more complex logic without distributing its own default/ folder.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: game rule to disallow doomsday weapons

#4 Post by Dilvish »

o01eg wrote:Allow to enter string which will be processed by FOCS interpretator. So the host can provide more complex logic without distributing its own default/ folder.
I'm still not understanding. A GameRule itself is, to my understanding, really just another way of specifying a value, in most respects very closely related to the Galaxy Setup values except directed towards types of values that we think of as more part of a game rule rather than part of the galaxy description.

None of those values, whether Galaxy Setup values or GameRule values, matter at all unless they are referenced in the galaxy creation scripts or in FOCS scripts. So being able to script up a "GameRule" at the galaxy setup screen isn't going to accomplish anything by itself, not unless you have script content that references the GameRule, whether or not you somehow have that GameRule referencing other bits of FOCS script content. So to accomplish anything would require a fair bit of editing, and then you may as well do that in a regular editor (and distribute your content like is currently possible, if you are playing multiplayer), rather then trying to script up content on the fly in the Setup Window.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

o01eg
Programmer

Re: GameRule idea re FOCS

#5 Post by o01eg »

GameRule value also distributed itself in the multiplayer game so the host doesn't distribute full content if only GameRule values are changed.