Public Review: v0.30 Nuts and Bolts

Past public reviews and discussions.
Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#46 Post by Tyreth »

I've updated the original post in this thread so that the link is no longer broken.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#47 Post by Dreamer »

Can someone tell me more or less what is the idea with requirements revision? I noticed I can edit the wiki so in theory I can alter the requirements myself when I see something worthy of changes or not?

Basically I need some directives on how the job is done here and how can I cooperate. I thought that the requirements are already voted on and so fixed. But there is a lot of alternative-proposal here... so what is the idea?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#48 Post by Tyreth »

The 0.3 requirements are created by the game design lead (Aquitaine), and not supposed to be modified. To reflect that, I've now protected it. If any changes are to be made, basically they need to be made by myself, Aquitaine, or one of the other leads as appropriate.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

Nutrients

#49 Post by Dreamer »

I saw this on the requirements:
During the resource generation phase of a turn, planets with more Nutrients than twice their Current Population export the excess Nutrients to the global stockpile.
Since the nutrient requirements to keep a planet "well feed" (nutrient rating 4) are quite high (food = pop x2) I wonder if it should be better to have planets not that well feed and give more to the global stockpile. My goal is to have all planets in "Adequately fed" (NR 2) status if possible. I would do this:

Have a variable "level" (L) and a variable "status" (S) for the nutrient stock. L indicates wich food level your empire was on the previous turn. Possible values are the same than for the NR of a single planet (0 to 4). S is an integer indicating the final state of the stock previous turn. ( I will put some pseudo-code for clarity)

For each planet:
{
cconsume enought food to reach the category in L (even from the stock), give any extra nutrient to the stock.
}

if the stock has food left >=0:
{
distribute it to the planets so they improve one level. Planets that produce more food than consumed should be given to first.
if all planets have reach next level:
{
increase L
}
}
else (the stock has deficit):
{
take from planets so they decrease only one level till deficit reach 0, planets that produce less food than consumed should be taken from first.
if all planets have dropped a level
{
lower L
}
}

This code should keep all the empire at a certain basic level and then adjust extra food. The idea is that every planet just consume what it needs and then only a handful of planets need adjusment.

This is more of the work a programer would do... but in short I think nutrients should be distribbuted so all the planets reach a certain level and the extra nutrients used to make some planets a little better.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#50 Post by Dreamer »

Other thing, I see a lot of clauses "if meter reach this level -> receives this effect". Like Geoff I prefer a more continuous scale for meters/effects rather than fixed ranges giving fixed bonuses/penalties (formulae).

It's easier to program since you dont have to recurr to a lot of if-else statements and vector/matrices of magic values all the time. I could also allows for a more fluid and simple gameplay. Just a thought.

Muside
Krill Swarm

#51 Post by Muside »

Warning: Do not click on Basups link! It leads to a downloadable .exe. I guess he's just another spammer.
Thy soul shall find itself alone
Mid dark thoughts of the gray tombstone
Not one, of all the crowd, to pry
Into thine hour of secrecy.

E.A. Poe, "Spirits of the Dead"