The Economy System

Past public reviews and discussions.
drekmonger
Space Kraken

The Economy System

#1 Post by drekmonger »

Since the old forums are almost certainly lost to the ether--here's how the economy system works, for the benefit of Impaler and other people who are wondering:

There are four passed resources: Nutrients (aka Food), Minerals, Industry and Research. In addition we will probably also have money.

On each planet, you can select a Major Focus (aka primary classification). The focuses are Farming, Mining, Industry, Science, and Balanced. Changing focuses costs an undetermined penalty. Certain buildings can only be placed on worlds with the correct focus.

You can also select a Minor Focus (aka secondary classification).

The list of classifications is open to expansion, for example "Entertainment" or "Government".

A focus adds to the base multiplier of a resource. Base multiplier * population = resource output.

You can see the economy system in action: http://www.drektopia.com/FreeOrion.xls It should work under OpenOffice and Excel.

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by jbarcz1 »

Was anything ever decided about planetary build queues? For 0.1 it's just a single industrial project per planet (bases, ship, or research).
Will we allow the user to build, say, a ship and a building at the same time? Is the answer to this question set in stone yet or is it going up for review?

JB
Empire Team Lead

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#3 Post by Nightfish »

It's not been decided yet and I'd expect every decision to be up for review before it's considered passed. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

drekmonger
Space Kraken

#4 Post by drekmonger »

Judging by the roadmap, the real build queue will be set in stone for v.3.

I'm assuming v.2's build system will more or less identical to v.1's. That is to say, you'll be able to build v.1 ships and defensive structures. v.1's research and industry focuses are made obsolete by the classification system.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by Impaler »

Crazy idea here, lets say that insted of Primary/secondary Focus a planet can have several different fouci perhaps up to a max of 3-6. Then the player uses some kind of slider to move population between the different foci. The foci effect like "mine minerals" (+6 minerals) and I alocate 10 population, the effect is then multiplied by the population alocated and I make 60 minearls. You can have just 1 focus at a time or several and pick any combination you desire.

The function of buildings would be to multiply the effectivness of a particular foci. For example Thermal Bore Hole doubles mineral output for the first 5 units of population. So now I am getting 90 minerals with the above senario. This would encourage specialization because the building dose not produce anything "free" for the player, it only multiplies a particular foci so if people are not being alocated to "work" the building its effects get wasted (unlike Civ inwhich its always advantages to put EVERY building in a city)

Also you stated above that

"Certain buildings can only be placed on worlds with the correct focus."

That sounds Backwards, I should need a particular building to conduct a particular focus. Like I would need a "Lab" building before I can assigne the "Reserch" Focus.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

tsev
Space Kraken

#6 Post by tsev »

Impaler wrote:Crazy idea here, lets say that insted of Primary/secondary Focus a planet can have several different fouci perhaps up to a max of 3-6. Then the player uses some kind of slider to move population between the different foci. The foci effect like "mine minerals" (+6 minerals) and I alocate 10 population, the effect is then multiplied by the population alocated and I make 60 minearls. You can have just 1 focus at a time or several and pick any combination you desire.

The function of buildings would be to multiply the effectivness of a particular foci. For example Thermal Bore Hole doubles mineral output for the first 5 units of population. So now I am getting 90 minerals with the above senario. This would encourage specialization because the building dose not produce anything "free" for the player, it only multiplies a particular foci so if people are not being alocated to "work" the building its effects get wasted (unlike Civ inwhich its always advantages to put EVERY building in a city)

Also you stated above that

"Certain buildings can only be placed on worlds with the correct focus."

That sounds Backwards, I should need a particular building to conduct a particular focus. Like I would need a "Lab" building before I can assigne the "Reserch" Focus.
Having many different foci, as you say, seems to me that it not only eliminates the concept of a "focus", but also gives us the same effect of shuffling citizens around to different jobs a la MOO2, which I'm fairly sure was something we decided we didn't want in the other thread.
FreeOrion Programmer

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#7 Post by Nightfish »

I am fairly sure Drek didn't open this thread to reinvent our economy system. Let's just consider a passed feature passed even if some of us would prefer if things were different. If we constantly revisit past decisions our game will never be done.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Impaler »

Oh ok never mind then :lol:
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune