Names for credits file

Official announcements and forum policies.
noelte
Juggernaut

#16 Post by noelte »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Names would be ordered by seniority or alphabetically, rather than by group then seniority as now.
Who is in lead should be displayed first, after that you can't order people (other than by name). To me it's quite ok how it is.

EDIT: of cause, my real name is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ronald ;-)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Yoghurt
Programmer

#17 Post by Yoghurt »

I've modified the scroller to print the group titles some time ago, should I commit the change (it was a quick hack, though)

I want to rewrite the scroller using OpenGL in the future, as the actual version is jerky on my machine. (Very low priority for this one, of course)

Yoghurt
Programmer

#18 Post by Yoghurt »

noelte wrote:EDIT: of cause, my real name is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ronald ;-)
As names are sorted by surname, I suppose your full name is "!!!!!!Ronald !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nölte", isn't it?

Mine is "Aaaaabac Aaaaab", BTW.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by pd »

*lol* joghurt & noelte ;)

geoff, space wasting isn't really an argument here since, we have really much of it. besides this my method uses less space since every name takes only 1 line :Þ

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Actually wasting space wasn't the issue, so much as it just looking silly because so much space seems to be wasted.

Having names appear several times might use more lines, but it's less obviously repetative than having the same job designation appear repeatedly after 10 names in a column.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by pd »

i've already tried to do it like in the original credits.txt. basicly it was the first i tried. but believe me, it looked stupid and very empty.

i played around with several formats and this one looked best to me and it was passed by miu, tyreth and noelte.

maybe we shouldn't discuss every tiny bit in freeorion and concentrate on the more important things.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#22 Post by Tyreth »

This is a discussion that belongs in the art forum, if anywhere. As pd said, it's not really important to change - let's leave it for now. And let's not to let this thread get too off topic :wink: So that's enough on the credits new format.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#23 Post by Impaler »

I have 2 requests for the Credits page.

1 "Special Thanks" section for all kinds of mililanious people, like that found in many games. I would like to get the ball rolling by thanking Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffett along with Brian Reynolds and the whole Firaxis team.

2 Realy corny jokes such as a spoff on the "No Blank were harmed in the making of.." I sugjest "Millions of Spacekrill were devoured in the making of this game"
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#24 Post by pd »

great ideas :)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by Impaler »

Oh and I see were currently only getting real names for the people who have titles but I think it would be apropriate to include the screen names of the top 100 posters on the forum as well (obviosly scrolling along in a big Block not one at a time), theirs a lot of contributions from thouse folks as well.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#26 Post by Yoghurt »

Impaler wrote:I sugjest "Millions of Spacekrill were devoured in the making of this game"
I'd vote for "Webhosts" instead of Spacekrill ;)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#27 Post by Aquitaine »

Apologies to Tyreth for not letting this thread die. :)

I agree that the credits should be grouped, e.g.

Programming
-----
A
B
C

Design
-----
D
E
F
A

etc.

And if someone shows up twice, they show up twice.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#28 Post by Aquitaine »

This seems as good a place as any to announce this, so:

I'd like to extend my personal thanks to Geoff the Medio and Drek for their hard work on sections of the v0.3 DD (and some spirited debate in which, characteristically, I hardly ever agreed with anyone on anything) and, as an unfortunate consequence for Geoff, welcome him to the ranks of the FreeOrion Design Team. This is mostly a crediting issue as Geoff has been very highly involved with a lot of aspects of v0.3 and I expect he will continue to be with the next phase of the design, but it is well-deserved and very possibly long overdue. :)

Aquitaine
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#29 Post by Impaler »

HIP HIP HURRAY :D :D :D

Yoghurt
Programmer

#30 Post by Yoghurt »

Aquitaine wrote:as an unfortunate consequence for Geoff, welcome him to the ranks of the FreeOrion Design Team.
It even got worse for him, because I added him to the credits file. (The real name needs still be filled in)