Hexxium Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
Hexxium
Space Floater

Hexxium Music

#1 Post by Hexxium »

I want to try and contribute some music too. But usually I'm more into rock/pop music, and mostly "real" recordings, so I'm completely new to this stuff.

Which brings up my first question: Do you think we could use some Rock/Pop style music in FO? Maybe for a certain race? Anything based on the standard "Drums, Bass, Guitar/Keyboard, Lead", and "Verse, Chorus, Verse" setup?
This could be anything from pure midi to completely "hand made" recordings, or anything in between like for example midi drums, recorded bass&guitar, synth voice.

Anyway, I tried to do something different than the stuff I usually do, although, as you'll notice, it's hard for me to completely drop the basic rock songwriting stuff ;)
Here it comes, please note that it's nearly exactly like it comes out of my cheap SB Live! Value card so the sound is crappy and includes some insane reverb I can't turn off fore some reason :roll: ... but iirc LithiumMongoose wants to do all final producing/mastering himself anyway:

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pawit/mp3/

My first track is called "Battle at Dawn". Working title was "Who Gets to See the Sun Again" ;) and is about a large army preparing for the last battle they'll probably loose, in a war they never wanted.
Now, how does this fit into FO? Hey, don't ask me, this is my first try after all :lol:
Maybe it could be used as background music for medium to epic scale battles for a peaceful but honorable race.

I'd like to hear your critics and suggestions.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by drek »

Sounds like Shadow of the Beast music, from the old Amiga system.

There's potential here. Any chance of posting the source midi?

Hexxium
Space Floater

#3 Post by Hexxium »

drek wrote:Any chance of posting the source midi?
Sure, but give me some time ;)

I'm new to midi and I'm using and old version of Cubase, which I have been using for audio recordings mostly. I still haven't figured out how to export midi correctly, for example with the correct tempo set ;)

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Hmm... I could maybe see this for peaceful-race combat music... but to be honest my first instinct is to slow it down, tone back the percussion a little, and use it for a peaceful-race galaxy map theme. I dunno, would have to experiment with the midi file, need to hear it on better instruments too... if all you're having trouble exporting is the tempo pls post it anyway, I just need the raw notes. :)

Hexxium
Space Floater

#5 Post by Hexxium »

I've uploaded a raw midi version to http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pawit/mid/.

But as it is now, I think it's too repetative and too short to use it as galaxy screen music.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Fun

#6 Post by guiguibaah »

I think after the holidays, I'm going to play around with this .mid - just for fun to see what I can do with it :)
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Hexxium
Space Floater

#7 Post by Hexxium »

As soon as you can show some results, please let me know ;)
I do have some more stuff, but I'd like to finish a bigger set of music pieces before publishing them.

I'm also considering producing/mastering them myself this time, since that one "raw" midi version hasn't impressed anyone here much (of course) ;)

damunzy
Krill Swarm

#8 Post by damunzy »

Hexxium wrote:I'm also considering producing/mastering them myself this time, since that one "raw" midi version hasn't impressed anyone here much (of course) ;)
I'm not a midi fan but I like the MP3s you have out there - nice job! Hey, I want to update the tags for the MP3s, what are the complete artist name and titles? Thanks!
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that understand binary and those that do not.