back in action - ready to volunteer - what's needed?

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
metaphysician
Space Floater

back in action - ready to volunteer - what's needed?

#1 Post by metaphysician »

hey folks, this is scott the sound designer - i did some of your combat sounds for ver .4 - it's been a while (2+ years actually) so i apologize for the long absence, but i am back in action, and ready to contribute what i can in terms of interesting interface and game sounds.

recently i've just started working on replacing the main interface sounds that i think need it, since it's pretty easy to do. i'm not sure how attached everyone is to the current sounds but i'll provide my own once i have a set and everyone can have a go at critiquing them.

in the meantime, please give me suggestions of what sounds you might need and also if you want me to revisit the combat sounds i created at all. i've got my own ideas of additional interface sounds as well which may be helpful toward better game interaction/feedback.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: back in action - ready to volunteer - what's needed?

#2 Post by eleazar »

welcome back!

I'll pay attention to the sounds next time i do an extended playtest-- i'm usually pretty focused on other stuff.

But until then it seems we are missing a sound...

metaphysician
Space Floater

#3 Post by metaphysician »

OK here's something that might be able to work. WAV file 44.1KHz 90KB

check it out.
Attachments
item_drop.wav.zip
(29.44 KiB) Downloaded 365 times

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Oh wow. I thought I was the only audio contributor left alive. I'm glad they didn't get you, either.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

metaphysician
Space Floater

#5 Post by metaphysician »

it's kind of odd - i end up being pulled back to freeorion just because of the sheer plodding doggedness of the developers involved - like the most determined turtle alive.

not to imply that things are plodding - i mean, two updates in a whole year? someone must be on speed...

anyway, every month or so i lurk around the forums wondering if there's an update. i downloaded 3.17 and it's beginning to look and feel like a real game. i've decided i need to brush up on my sound design chops as i'm planning to try it more and more as a way to make a little side cash, so what better use of my (limited) free time then to get back into improving the audio footprint of what is visually quite an interesting game.

actually there's a command line addition in startup to run the combat portion isn't there? do you recall what that is? i just get 'a battle occurred at XXX' and no idea of who was affected or how, much less being able to go into the combat system itself. BTW i'm on a Mac and after installing Python 2.7.2 everything seems to be working pretty well - The Tech Research screen bottom with the category buttons is inaccessible in fullscreen mode but so far everything else seems fine.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

metaphysician wrote:...BTW i'm on a Mac and after installing Python 2.7.2 everything seems to be working pretty well - The Tech Research screen bottom with the category buttons is inaccessible in fullscreen mode but so far everything else seems fine.
I've found kind of a workaround for the python issue (see this thread). I don't know if it will get incorporated into SVN though, because it's kind of a hack.

There are however more recent builds for OS X in this thread, recent ones have the python patch applied (these builds are not linked in the OP, you'll have to dig in the thread). The most recent one can be downloaded here. It is based on SVN 4508 (with two additional patches applied).

metaphysician
Space Floater

#7 Post by metaphysician »

hey vezzra i did actually download the build of 4508. seems to work fine as i did a separate install of python for mac based on that very thread. after that i had no more startup issues. it looks fine though it won't import a saved game from the earlier build and also the colored icons for the Research section individual techs aren't visible anymore - everything's all grey. hope that's an accident not an intent.

however, my main concern is - does this new build activate the combat section in a game, and if not what's the command line switch to do this?

scott

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Hey! :)
metaphysician wrote:hey vezzra i did actually download the build of 4508. seems to work fine as i did a separate install of python for mac based on that very thread. after that i had no more startup issues.
Did you try to launch a game with the 4508 build before you did the separate install of python? Because this build should work even without such a separate install. It has a patch applied that contains a workaround for the issue causing this.
it looks fine though it won't import a saved game from the earlier build and also the colored icons for the Research section individual techs aren't visible anymore - everything's all grey. hope that's an accident not an intent.
There have been more issues than that - starting fleet names not working, some resource meters not working (this last one was actually a game breaker) - which have already been sorted out. Techs all grey in grey also relates to a bug, that one still needs to be taken care of. But that isn't so much of a problem, besides not being pretty it does no harm.
however, my main concern is - does this new build activate the combat section in a game, and if not what's the command line switch to do this?
See this thread.

metaphysician
Space Floater

#9 Post by metaphysician »

Did you try to launch a game with the 4508 build before you did the separate install of python? Because this build should work even without such a separate install. It has a patch applied that contains a workaround for the issue causing this.
if i recall correctly, i believe the new build did NOT work until i installed Python separately. i installed the build marked 'SVN4508+vp'. it came as an executable file.

is there a way to run it and see what Python library it's trying to access? if not i suppose i can install it on my Macbook and try it there, see if it runs into the same errors.

just FYI - System is a hackintosh Quad Core 8400, Mac OS 10.6.3 and NVDIA8400 GS card.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

metaphysician wrote:...if i recall correctly, i believe the new build did NOT work until i installed Python separately. i installed the build marked 'SVN4508+vp'. it came as an executable file.
Yep, that's the most recent build for Mac. This build is supposed to run without a prior installation of the Python 2.7 package. If it doesn't, that means that my "hackaround" does not work, at least not on all systems... :(
is there a way to run it and see what Python library it's trying to access? if not i suppose i can install it on my Macbook and try it there, see if it runs into the same errors.
Actually, there is. If you look into the AI_* log files, somewhere on the top the version of the python library used is printed out. If the python 2.7 package you installed is a recent one, it's python 2.7.2. The python framework bundled with build 4508+vp is python 2.7.1. So the AI log files should be able to tell you wich python library the AI clients are using.
just FYI - System is a hackintosh Quad Core 8400, Mac OS 10.6.3 and NVDIA8400 GS card.
Hm, I see... unfortunately, I'm still a newbie in the Mac world. Switched from Windows only a few months ago, so to be honest I'm absolutely clueless how much of an impact your configuration has on this problem. The hardware *should* have none, however, your OSX version is of course a bit outdated. I'm running on 10.6.8. And maybe running on hackintosh has an influence too... if you could try the 4508+vp build on your MacBook and report the results, that would certainly be helpful :)