Bigjoe5's Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Bigjoe5's Music

#16 Post by Bigjoe5 »

MikkoM wrote:Well for me it is especially the final part of that theme (after 0:28), when the melody seems to change quite rapidly that makes it sound quite cartoon like. I don`t know if I can explain this properly, because I don`t know much about music terminology, but the end of that theme sort of reminds me of a jazz band going all over the place with their music, which greatly reduces the menacing feeling that the first part of the theme has. Now if I compare this theme to the Trith theme, the Trith theme stays quite sad and beautiful through out where as this theme starts out quite menacing, but then turns into a cartoon kind of jazz thing.
I see. I think I understand what needs to be done now. I'll see what I can do.
MikkoM wrote:Anyway, as you can probably see from my comments I don`t really know much about music terminology, and only evaluate things as I hear them.
That's fine. I can probably understand your comments more easily this way anyway.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#17 Post by Bigjoe5 »

The new Trith theme has been added to the website.

Personally, I'm hoping that the violin won't be so edgy in the final version, but anyway, I made an effort to make this theme more aggressive than the previous one, while still maintaining some of the Trith's melancholy. Let me know what you think.

edit:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Kobuntura... uh... ok. Not really getting a particle magnetic web race vibe from that. More like theme for the dopey character in children's cartoon show...? Interesting, though...
Based on this, the Kobuntura theme might actually be more appropriate for George.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#18 Post by MikkoM »

Bigjoe5 wrote:The new Trith theme has been added. Let me know what you think.
Since no one else has commented this so far, I will. The new Trith theme sounds quite epic and nice. I like it. :)

However I must also mention that the repeating part after 0:37 sounds perhaps a bit strange or unexpected, but maybe it can be seen (or heard) as something that adds more variety to the theme, and in any case it doesn`t change the nice overall experience.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by pd »

Excellent, this new Trith track works really nice, especially as combat music. I like this part after 0:37, it adds a nice uplifting accent to the otherwise darker mood - hope in the face of war.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#20 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Thanks. Since the feedback (such as it is) for this theme has been primarily positive, I'll probably begin working on its incredible transformation into usable battle music shortly.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#21 Post by Bigjoe5 »

It's been a while since I've posted any updates - rest assured however, that this does not imply a lack of activity. I've had a completed Gyisache theme composition lying around for a few months now, but my brother hasn't touched it yet due to being extremely busy. As such, I've decided that I might as well put up a "predraft" to let everyone know what's going on. Additionally, I've prepared a preview of the Trith Battle theme. Like the Gyisache theme, it's completely unprocessed. It's also very short, and represents perhaps a quarter of what will be the finished work.

I'm considering increasing the speed of the Gyisache theme a bit, so some feedback in that area would be useful. Also, the Trith preview represents, compositionally, pretty much what will appear in the final version, so if you feel like there should be more/less parts/different notes/chords/whatever, that's the sort of thing that probably won't change unless I receive specific feedback about it.

I've been pretty busy lately composing a piece of music for an unrelated project, but I'll be done with that shortly, and hopefully have more time to work on music for FreeOrion. So yes, I have been active, and no, I have no intention of simply "disappearing" as so many of our audio contributors have done in the past.

Enjoy.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#22 Post by pd »

Good to know. In case anybody else has trouble playing those new ones(using quicktime apparently, instead of flash), here are the direct links:

http://freeorionmusic.webs.com/Trith_Battle_Preview.wav
http://freeorionmusic.webs.com/Gyisache_Predraft.wav

I like both, but I think the Trith4_draft1.mp3 is quite a nice battle theme already, at this point even better than the new one. Since both are similar in some ways, I'm looking forward how you'll develop it.

Redcap
Graphics

#23 Post by Redcap »

Wow this music is pretty sweet!!!

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#24 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Unfortunately, since my notation software is using the Garritan samples by default (which is why the unprocessed music doesn't sound like awful midi tripe), the whole unprocessed Trith battle theme is too large to go on the website, which is why it isn't there. Fortunately, my brother has finally had time to start the processing and has sent me a very short preview of his work, which I've added to the website.